1920's camera

Dobbo25 said:
Oscroft said:
Dobbo25 said:
Slightly off topic I saw a Best of "Antiques Roadshow" that had a gold-plated Leica Luxus II, only worth £380,000 at auction.

Well, I have a Leica M2 in chrome with brass highlights, worth only around £379,700 less than that!

Nice camera though.
When you say brass highlights, do you mean the winder, film speed dial, flashgun plate etc are brass?

Nah, it's just badly worn!

Oscroft said:
Dobbo25 said:
Oscroft said:
Dobbo25 said:
Slightly off topic I saw a Best of "Antiques Roadshow" that had a gold-plated Leica Luxus II, only worth £380,000 at auction.

Well, I have a Leica M2 in chrome with brass highlights, worth only around £379,700 less than that!

Nice camera though.
When you say brass highlights, do you mean the winder, film speed dial, flashgun plate etc are brass?

Nah, it's just badly worn!

You'll have to do a Rolling Stones on it :p

I prefer my Zorki 4, the poormans Russian Leica copy. Never had any problems with it and it always returns great photo's with the Jupiter 8 standard lens. I love taking it out with me, it never fails to draw attention to its self.

That's a nice plate camera you have there too! For the record Enolde was also a lens brand that was used on many plate cameras made in Germany, one that comes to my mind is the Anastigmat "Enolde" 13,5 cm 1:6.3 lens used on a plate camera made by Hugo Matthias & Co of Dresden. The chances are they were all made by Kochmann and sold to other makers for their cameras, or made by a company called Enolde and sold to other makers including Kochmann who had an agreement to use the name for the model name of his cameras also.

Here is an Enolde made by Kochmann. The OP camera, the lens is earlier to this one going by serial numbers. The lens focal length is different too. Found here

Oddly though it is the same focal length and max aperture as the 1931 slightly smaller 6x9 Kochmann Enolde folder, Found here

The OP lens is also earlier than this lens again going by serial numbers. There was the Kochmann Enolde 6x9 folder and also 3 models of the 6.5x9 folder. Model I and II are single extension; Model III has a double extension. Model I has a small reflex brilliant finder; Model II has reflex and wire frame finders. So my McKeown's book says.

At a guess I would say that the OP camera is the first model Kochmann Enolde, the one I have linked to above is Model II, unfortunately I can't find an example of Model III with the double extension focusing bed.

Another thing I have just noticed with the OP camera or rather the case, I too have an Enolde, but I'm sure its the 1931 6x9 folder. I will search for it in the morning but I do know it has the same case as the OP's. Not that this proves much as again it could of been like the lenses made by another company and used by other companies.

Dobbo25 said:
Apologies Oscroft no Dimness on your part at all, it doesn't actually say who the manufacturer is and, who is to say I'm right :)

On The Right side of camera lens the SM logo looks like a' lens leaf aperture' with the initials ACG, Which I believe to be the SM trademark at the time, see thumbnail on post 5. Though this logo also shows up on some of the Enolde cameras you have mentioned. I've also seen Enolde made cameras with the logo FD to the right side of the lens.

Just came across this as well "The same Enolde brand was used for various folding plate cameras" so another possibility is that they did make this camera under licence for SH. Though I'm sure Enolde made cameras do have the company name imprinted on to the leather case.

Another possibility is that the lens was made by SM for Enolde.

Sorry Oscroft I just threw up more questions than answers :)

The SM trademark is in fact the shutter maker Alfred Gauthier of Calmbach. AGC founder of the Prontor shutter. More on him here; http://mytrademarkia.com/map/agc-73063391.htm

Back
Top Bottom