1916 Gillette box

I bought the lot for the razor and got the box as well, of course. I have no idea even how to begin restoring the box, nor even if it is restorable!

Any expert box restorers out there? Aren't you the man, SunburyBoy?

Anybody want the box?

OR

Can anybody restore it for a reasonable fee?

It is part of a 1917 Old Type Standard Set No. 460 - 'G' stamped.

DSC00186.jpg

DSC00183.jpg

It's better than most that are being sold on eBay now. A lot better. I'd say...know I shouldn't, but... Save it till you want to sell something that's lost favor and it'll sell for twice you're looking for!!!

It looks ok.

They can be restored but it's a delicate job removing the centre and top section and stripping the old material off and then finding a good colour match in new material then fitting it and making it look tidy

You would loose the gillette logo and that would soil it for me

It It was me I would take an unused paint brush and hold the box upside down and gently remove the dust and dirt from the case you would be surprised how clean it can still look

Let it grow old gracefully

Carl very kindly donated this case to me for a bit of surgery.

I had one already that the outside of the case was good and the inside top lid was also good, but the bottom inside was a mess with bits missing, bad staining and tearing.

So rather than going in the bin, it was decided that this one should give it's life so that another could live. Surgery was carried out last night and I promised I'd put up a pic or two of the finished job.

[attachment=4843]
[attachment=4844]
[attachment=4845]

Lots of careful slicing, brushing and sticking and I'm really happy with the results.
Thanks very much Carl for the ultimate sacrifice.

Attachments

• Old case.JPG
    Old case.JPG
    232.2 KB · Views: 23
  • Old case 1.JPG
    Old case 1.JPG
    240.5 KB · Views: 23
  • Old case finished.JPG
    Old case finished.JPG
    151.6 KB · Views: 30
Thanks, don't let the photos mislead you.

The first one is Carl's original box mid disassembly.
Second one is my box with the newly transplanted pieces being test fitted before full cleaning.
Third one is everything glued in and finished.

Carl's picture in the first post makes the bottom part look really grotty, but I know (and as Steve said) that a stiff brushing will shift most of that even before using any cleaning chemicals.

Also remember mine was in good nick already, except for all the inside bottom material, it's only that bit that's been worked on.

Jamies said:
Carl very kindly donated this case to me for a bit of surgery.

I had one already that the outside of the case was good and the inside top lid was also good, but the bottom inside was a mess with bits missing, bad staining and tearing.

So rather than going in the bin, it was decided that this one should give it's life so that another could live. Surgery was carried out last night and I promised I'd put up a pic or two of the finished job.

Lots of careful slicing, brushing and sticking and I'm really happy with the results.
Thanks very much Carl for the ultimate sacrifice.

bloody good job there mate

as you know i did a similar job with a #66 set case recently

Well done :icon_razz::icon_razz:

Back
Top Bottom