1912, 1914, 1924 this is getting complicated

So I was just made aware of razors taking GEM SE blades and thought sure I am getting one to try it is called the 1912 end of story. But of course not after a search my head is spinning with different years and different models 1912, 1914, 1924. So is the original plan getting the 1912 still valid as the best intro to the SE world?

So I was just made aware of razors taking GEM SE blades and thought sure I am getting one to try it is called the 1912 end of story. But of course not after a search my head is spinning with different years and different models 1912, 1914, 1924. So is the original plan getting the 1912 still valid as the best intro to the SE world?
You can't go wrong starting with a 1912. Great razor and it won't cost a fortune. I saw a slightly dirty, boxed one at an antiques market today for £9. I might have been able to haggle by claiming they are useless as you can't get blades anymore (not a complete lie, as they wern't made for modern SE blades), but I passed as I already have two :p

1912s are cheap on UK EBay & Most folks recommend them to start with..I would suggest getting a USA Made One if you can to start with Cause the English made ones are very Aggressive..The 1924 is probably a bit more Aggressive than the English 1912 & the 1914 a tad more Aggressive again..The 1914s are harder to get in the UK and most bring them in from the USA..:)

Billy

1912s are the "de facto", the razor around which all other comparisons are made: "this one is milder than the 1912" or "this one is more aggressive than the 1912", so starting with the 1912 is the right thing to do.

1924s are quite different shavers, as are 1914s ... as an aside today is the patent anniversary for the 1914. Think about your favourite car manufacturer - the 1912 is the regular four door family car, the 1924 a sportier model, the 1914 a classier model. You'll find it :D

If you want a Mint 1924 or 1914 check out the Buy n Sell..I have just listed them...You wont find better anywhere..:D

Billy

Do not faff about -get a cheap 1912 ,but use a 1/2 spine shim with it. See article The "fergiebilly " shim , in SE section, posted April 22nd, 2015. Then when you have got the hang of that , go for the others. Afraid there are more offerings from Gem/Star etc.
By the way did anyone mention " Injectors" !! Resisted them for a while, but like most things " Shaving " , they prove addictive.

All the best- Mike B

Greetings

A 1912 razor is a very good place to start SE shaving if for no other reason than as Paul says that it is the razor that everybody uses as a yardstick to compare others against. I do not know the true statistics but I suspect that nearly as many 1912's were made as all the other models put together, it's a model that ran and ran for years.

Don't worry about what sub model it is (they were made both sides of the Atlantic and badged up under different names) but they are all quite similar when you first start SE shaving. I suggest you just buy a cheap one, they are all brass underneath the plating in any case and a bit of bare brass won't effect the shave!

Regards
Dick.

Greetings

A 1912 razor is a very good place to start SE shaving if for no other reason than as Paul says that it is the razor that everybody uses as a yardstick to compare others against. I do not know the true statistics but I suspect that nearly as many 1912's were made as all the other models put together, it's a model that ran and ran for years.

Don't worry about what sub model it is (they were made both sides of the Atlantic and badged up under different names) but they are all quite similar when you first start SE shaving. I suggest you just buy a cheap one, they are all brass underneath the plating in any case and a bit of bare brass won't effect the shave!

Regards
Dick.
... and don't worry if it looks a bit grubby. The grubby ones clean up a treat and can be had cheaper.

These older SEs seem to get all the airtime - but I prefer the newer Gbar p/button and featherweight. I always seem to be off kilter with everyone else ???

Greetings
There is nothing wrong with any of that trio I can get a very good shave from the three of them, I think much of it is that e-bay is awash with 1912's and they were (IMHO) made better, there is nothing wrong with utilising plastics in razors but I think many of us still love all metal brass, plated razors.

Regards
Dick.

Talking of the more modern razors, I very much enjoy the shave from the Featherweight, more so than the G-Bar. Curious as the Pushbutton and Contour (not the II) don't really do it for me, but the Contour II does. Very modern, that one. For folks who like the G-Bar, there's an Ever Ready equivalent, British made in gold: the Deluxe. That really is a nice razor.

Back
Top Bottom