Wickhams 1912 - Bespoke Trial

Hi everyone

The reason for making this post is the fact that I had the privilege of trying out a bespoke soap from one of our favourite UK Artisans - Wickham Soaps before it goes on general release!

The soap base is different to their Super Smooth, this one is called 1912.

The scent of the soap I received was a bespoke variety that matched a famous EDT. I'm not sure if I can say what it is but you may get an idea if you remember my recent search for such a fragrance. Also those eagle eyed amongst you may get an idea from the pics I have enclosed ;)

Firstly I must stress that this soap is not currently ready for general release. The packaging including the label may undergo a few tweaks before Darron decides it meets his usual high standards.

The soap itself is a harder variety than the Super Smooth, but it is still soft to the touch. You can easily scoop out a lump if necessary or you can load directly from the tub. That is what I did.

I started to load my brush with the soap and straight away the proto lather was exploding in the tub. I decided to face lather for this shave as that is my preferred method. I had no problem creating a fantastic lather that Darron explained should negate the requirement for balm post shave.

I hadn't shaved for the best part of a week so I didn't know what to expect, but it was Wickhams so I knew it was going to be great. I created mountains of lather from the little bit of loading I did, so I guess this soap will last me ages which is good because it smells fantastic.

The scent I guess is subjective, but to me it was reminiscent of my signature scent I was wearing when SWMBO first met me. It is subtle, but present. But I guess so is the fragrance it is based on. If you like the original you will love this soap believe me!

I find it hard to talk about slip, cushion, protection etc. But what I can say is that I had a great shave with no irritation or nicks. The razor glided across my face and I tested the cardinal sin of touching up areas without lather without any incident so I guess residual protection must be present (Its Wickhams, of course it is!).

I had enough for two passes with plenty left in the brush. I usually use aftershave balms, but decided to trust Darron and have stayed balm free post shave. I think he is right, however I am probably not the best person to quantify this as I 'Always Balm'.

After my shave I decided to go for some lather shots to show how much can be created from just a few circuits of the tub. I used to bowl lather so chose that method to see how much I could create.

My conclusion?

Darron has created another great soap. It is only my first shave, but already I am looking forward to using it the rest of the week. I guess I will have to get more shaves under my belt before I can really judge it, but first impressions are that it will definitely have a place in my den.

I understand that Darron has a range of scents available to him for this soap so hopefully everyone should find something that will take their fancy. As for those that like the EDT that my soap was based on? Keep your fingers crossed that it will make the cut as you need this soap in your arsenal.

Last edited:
I rate Super Smooth as one of the best, and that's before taking post shave feel into consideration. Looking forward to giving the 2016 LE a run around a tub of it!

Reactions: Fox
i would love to get my hands on this:):) not only its it Wickhams but smells like one of my favorite EDT. It's as though my mind has been read and my perfect soap has been made.

excellent review - I love the label. I was lucky enough to get a sample puck as I helped with the name. Mine has a different scent a cedarwood/neroli combination which is fantastic. Again, I don't know if it will be on general release but it is a great performing soap.

Hi Scowley any chance of posting the ingredients list?

The tub doesn't have them listed, but hopefully Darron will be along soon to answer any questions regarding this new offering.

How many flavours is it coming in?

Hi Gordy this would have to be another one for Darron I'm afraid.

I've no idea what scents or how many he has in mind. I'm not even sure if the one I have tested will go on general release. I suppose if you like the EDT it maybe a good time to express an interest to maybe force his hand ;)

i would love to get my hands on this:):) not only its it Wickhams but smells like one of my favorite EDT. It's as though my mind has been read and my perfect soap has been made.

Hi Westo, I've tried to find alternatives including Razorock for Chicago and to be honest this soap is a clear winner. Nothing else smells even close.

If it comes to market you will not be disappointed. Hell I'd even make you a guarantee that I would swap it for another of my soaps if you bought it and didn't like it.

Last edited:
Can't wait to try it!

Put some soap for sale on the BST knowing I need to clear some space for the new Wickhams!!!! Lol.

Hi Scowley any chance of posting the ingredients list?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Hi Nishy it's 100% Veg based and packed with skin nourishing oils. Suitable for all skin types and no need for any post shave treatments.

Ingredients are:
Stearic Acid, Coconut Oil (Cocos Nucifera), Cocoa Seed Butter (Cacao Theobroma ), Sustainable Palm Oil (Elaeis Guineensis), Jojoba Seed Oil (Simmondsia Chinensis), Avocado Oil (Persea Gratissima), Water, Glycerine, Parfum, French Clay (Montmorillonite), Allantoin.

How many flavours is it coming in?

I have not put scent descriptions together as of yet, so sorry for the brief ones below.
There will be 6 main fragrances in total which are;

Spice Trade - (Old Spice)
Club Cola - Sparkling Citrus
SKY (Issy Miyake)
Cashmere - a very soft and comfort smelling scent, it will have you going to the bathroom every 5 minutes to sniff the soap.
Scottish Heather - a herbal and medicinal type scent close to Lavender but with a slightly more pronounced scent.
Classic 24 (My take on Aventus) a bit more fruity with a slightly softer leather, was the 24th tweak before I thought; yes that's what I want!

excellent review - I love the label. I was lucky enough to get a sample puck as I helped with the name. Mine has a different scent a cedarwood/neroli combination which is fantastic. Again, I don't know if it will be on general release but it is a great performing soap.

The scent you are referring to Phil is one of the "vintage shaving soap" scents, (Exotic Citrus). This will still be used but in a limited edition soap. In case anyone is wondering what the other vintage shaving soap scent is, it's the Scottish Heather.

Thanks Phil, but I am sorry, I'm not happy with the label. Being so excited about this soap, I rushed the label design so I could get it out there and share it. I am going to redesign it, and do have something else in mind which I hope I can render. It should have an old school label, Victorian style for sure though still in keeping with the Wickham branding. Unfortunately what I have in mind will be time consuming so this will delay the launch of the soap. But as you know, I have spent such a long time, (2 years on and off) working on this soap that I really shouldn't rush it now and a couple of extra weeks should not hurt anyone.

Thanks to everyone who has commented, will like your posts in appreciation. ;)

Paul when Phil said the soap should be called 1912 I wanted to give him a high 5! But instead slapped myself around the face for not thinking of it myself. Phil you did know I am an avid fan/user of the 1912 razors, right?

That's the one I've got, and agree with every word.[emoji3]

Hi Westo, I've tried to find alternatives including Razorock for Chicago and to be honest this soap is a clear winner. Nothing else smells even close.

If it comes to market you will not be disappointed. Hell I'd even make you a guarantee that I would swap it for another of my soaps if you bought it and didn't like it.

I'll hold you to that, when I get my hands on some :p

Back
Top Bottom