Review: Rockwell 6C razor

Rockwell 6C
52j3sz.jpg

Many of us remember - and own - the original Rockwell 6S (Stainless steel) razor.
Its launch had quite a bit of challenges - the finished, cast, razors were rough and in quite a few cases difficult to even use due to flaws resulting in poor blade alignment. However, the Rockwell guys kept at it and when they came out w/ a much improved v2 I feel they did the best they could to make things right for their backers. For that reason - and the fact that I really do like my v1 and v2 Rockwell 6S razors - I decided to do a 'superbacking' of their new 6C offering.

"Super backers" in this case means that 750 of the 6C (white chrome model) would be sent out in November (turned into December) where people could provide feedback to Rockwell on the razor. Then in March a second razor (Gunmetal or brushed chrome) will be issued completing the offering.

Well, my Rockwell 6C, white chrome model, just dropped into the mailbox today so here's a rather quick "First Impressions" on the razor.

6C vs 6S
It's near impossible to not compare the two as the 6C was engineered to be a low cost version of the the 6S in every way - apart from finish and material.

Left to right - 6S v1, 6C, 6S v2:
2mb0n.jpg

2lkfyhl.jpg

Visually, as you can see the two models are near identical apart from some cosmetic subtleties such as the logo branding on 6S v2.
It might just be an optical illusion or the high-chrome that is playing tricks with my eyes but it feels as if the handle on the 6C is a couple of mm's less wide than the 6S handle.
* Note: I couldn't figure this one out so I contacted Rockwell asking them for clarification and will update when I hear back from them

Anywho, in an attempt to make this uncharacteristically short let's look at the four key aspects of the razor;
- weight,
- material/manfacturing process,
- finish, and
- shave.

Weight
This one surprised me.
I am far from a metallurgist and can quite honestly barely remember if copper or brass weighs the most - so it maybe not a huge surprise that in my mind I had associated the 6C (made out of a Zinc alloy) to be a rather light weight razor - close to say a Hawk (made out of aluminum).

Taking it out of its box it felt much closer to the weight of the original 6S than I would have thought. The rather beefy, solid Zinc head creates a razor with a nice heft to it - far from the toy-like feeling I think most Hawk owners felt when they picked up theirs.

The 6S (fitted with a 1-3 plate): 113gr
The 6C (fitted with a 1-3 plate): 100gr

You can tell the 13gr if you hold both razors at the same time - but that's about it.
A very nice feel and balance (towards the head).

Material/Manufacturing process
Zinc Alloy and cast/molded.
I know there's normally some concern whenever the Z-word is dropped (be it Zinc or Zamac) but I've had some heads for years and they've never broken or given me any type of problem. Odds are that with proper care they will outlast you anyway.
There are some indentations on the base plate and some edges that one normally don't see on CNC machined items but as far as I can see nothing that would have any impact on the shave itself.

Finish
Another positive surprise. The plating on the 6C Chrome is shiny - and not only is is shiny but it's also near flawless. Very impressive.
htiahj.jpg

2hr1ylt.jpg

The shave
The most important thing of it all - and I haven't had a chance to try it out yet.
I had an extremely close shave this afternoon using a Timeless razor so I might not shave until Thursday - but will add a shave report here once I've had a chance to try it out.

Assuming that the head-design has not changed from 6s v2 the blade gap should be according to this per base plate;

- R1: 0.20mm,
- R2: 0.35mm,
- R3: 0.48mm,
- R4: 0.61mm,
- R5: 0.69mm, and
- R6: 0.79mm

As mentioned earlier I own both the v1 as well as the v2 of the Rockwell 6S razor and find it to be a very efficient - and dare I say it - fun razor to use.
The concept of making the razor 'adjustable' by having a set of base plates (1 through 6) that gives you a more or less aggressive shave can feel as somewhat of an odd - and cumbersome way to go about it but once you realize that out of the six base plates you will quite honestly only ever shave with maybe two or three of them it becomes a bit more manageable.
Using the 6S I found that I was a "3.5" almost always favoring base plate #4 but going down to a 3 - or up to a 5 when I felt so inclined. The key here are the options - you may choose to use them all or you may find the one that you love and stick with that one. A few years down the road however your preferences might have changed and you find yourself gravitating towards a different plate.

Now, which base plate to start with on the 6C....

1zf2c7p.jpg

Last edited:
Good initial review. I was always impressed with the 6S mostly because I was impressed with the company. I like adjustable razors, but also liked making adjustments between passes (I start off WTG around 5 then XTG around 2), and the 6S setup would just not work well with that. I immediately signed up for the Model T for that reason. I was thinking of getting the 6C because so many folks liked the 6S, but I was concerned with the weight of the razor and if the quality would be the same when it was cast as when it was machined. You answered both questions for me. I am absolutely sure that the shave will be spot on great, but will wait for your review. I am of the belief that if the shave is close but not great, Rockwell will make adjustments before the production model as they are that kind of company.

Heard back from Rockwell, and;
a) Handle on 6C vs 6S:
"They are the same dimensions - the grip may be a fraction of a mm less thick just due to material variability"

b) The near-stainless steel weight of the 6C:
"Weight of 6C comes from the solid machined zamak, opposed to hollow barstock or aluminum (very light) in other razors"

Heard back from Rockwell, and;

b) The near-stainless steel weight of the 6C:
"Weight of 6C comes from the solid machined zamak, opposed to hollow barstock or aluminum (very light) in other razors"

Machined zamak? Okay that makes things interesting now, although I don't see why that should be surprising as the others are doing great thing with machined aluminum.

Shave Report

zjik9e.jpg

Had the first shave with the new Rockwell 6C this morning and was really looking forward to see how it would perform as I really like their 6S razor but am a bit so-so as far as Z-metals goes.

I decided on starting with a "3" baseplate (which is slightly below the "4" I normally prefer with the 6S).
Loaded a fresh Rapira blade, lathered up some LA Shaving soap (in my new, rustic bowl) and put razor to face.

1st pass (WTG):
"This is zinc?"
I quite literally took the razor off my face to make sure I hadn't picked up one of the stainless steel 6S razors I had lying on the counter. The weight and feel was almost identical to how my 6S feels. Sure, there's a 13gr difference but in reality that didn't really translate to a noticeable difference in actual use.
I shave about half my face but felt that the razor was a bit on the mild side so I stopped and swapped out the base plate to a "4" and continued the first pass. Much better - or to my liking I should say - as the razor now felt much more efficient and I swiftly finished up the first pass.

2nd pass (ATG):
Re-lathered and went in for the second and last pass.
Same sensation as the first pass - a very substantial and nice weight to the razor.
I did notice during the ATG pass that I was wishing for a slightly longer handle. Another 10mm or so would had been perfect for me.
Finished the pass with no nicks or cuts and as I rinsed off my face I could tell how close the shave was.

In summary this is a great razor.
It has, to me, all the positives from the 6S (weight, efficient bast plates with well defined differences between them) - but with the added benefits of better plating/finish and a substantially lower price point.
Will a razor made out of zinc be around in 5-10-15 years? I'm pretty sure it will - and for longer - as long as it's well taken care of.

The only potential risk here - for Rockwell - is that this razor is so good that I can see it cannibalize the sale of the 6S as it's such a strong performer and at such a low price.

Who knows, maybe 2017 will be the year when we more openly embrace Zinc/Zamak based razors.
The way this razor is designed - with solid head/handle - gives it a weight very close to what I'm used to from a stainless steel razor and that is one primary things that attracts me to that material.

Well done Rockwell.

zjik9e.jpg

I was hoping you would say that it was terrible and a $2 Chinese clone shaved better. Now I have to put it on my rapidly growing wish list. I guess the only consolation is that I can take the 6S off the list (for now).

I would say that if you had the option between;
a) Buying the 6S,
b) Buying the 6C, and
c) Buying both

my highly subjective suggestion would be to buy the 6C - and that's from someone who loves his steel.

I would say that if you had the option between;
a) Buying the 6S,
b) Buying the 6C, and
c) Buying both

my highly subjective suggestion would be to buy the 6C - and that's from someone who loves his steel.
Thanks for the review. I have a 6C coming in March, but having had a few months to think about it, I was a bit concerned I might end up with a poor relation to the 6S.

Sounds like I've nothing to worry about.

Hmmm....

Almost regretting not backing the 6C Kickstarter.

Almost...

At least I have the Rockwell Adjustable to look forward to.

For $75 I will end up getting;
- One White chrome 6C razor (with all six base plate configurations),
- One Gunmetal 6C razor (with all six base plate configurations),
- 200 Rockwell razor blades (extra 100 as part of the compensation for the delay from Nov to Dec), and
- One razor head sheath in leather (also part of the delay compensation).

Not really a bad deal at all based on how good this razor seems.

Back
Top Bottom