Honing

Because Someone has Honed a Few SRs it Doesn't Mean they Can Hone SRs..Honing is Easy Until it Aint..There are So Many Variables on the Hone..Types of Steel, Grinds, Temper & Hone Wear..Basically they All Feel Different on the Hone..I Don't Reckon One SR is Particularly Harder to Hone than Another..:rolleyes:

Some Just Take More Time is All..Plus..One Needs to Get to Know & Feel the Subtle Variable's on the Hone..There are Little Subtle Changes that are Done Accordingly that to be Honest Cant be Passed in Forums..The Knowledge is Really in the Hands of the Beholder..In Fact the More Subtle Aspects of Honing are All in the Mind..Its a Mind Game..;)

To Put it Bluntly..These Razors are Highlighting HOLES in You're Honing Skills..As a Rule of Thumb Vintage Full Hollow Grinds are Probably Very Hone Friendly if there is Such a thing..:D:D

Billy

Last edited:
So maybe a good start would be vintage full hollow - carbon steel - no hone wear - nice looking straight bevel - but most important: inexpensive so no big loss if I ruin it honing :)
This has been Said So Many Times in Forums..It Falls on DEAF EARS..90/95% of the LEARNING is on the 1 K Bevel Hone..A Razor Should be Able to Shave from the 1 K Bevel Hone..Oh Yeah..If it Cant then DONT Move On..;)

The Work on the 1 K Bevel Hone & Setting a Solid Even & Smooth Bevel is the Magic Key that Opens all the Doors..That's it in a Nutshell..But as I Said..It Seems to Largely Fall on DEAF EARS..:D:D

Billy

Last edited:
Setting the bevel is where I sometimes stumble to a halt, tried the "oh well, I am sure it will sort itself down the road" routine once but nope no way forward without a proper bevel (will shave hair on my left arm)
It Should Shave on the Face..Albeit Maybe Not the Most Comfortable..My Pen Knife will Shave Arm Hair but I Wouldn't Put it Near My Face..A Ragged or Rough SR Blade without a Proper Bevel Set will Shave Arm Hair to the Cows Come Home..Put it on the Face & Ouch !!. :D

Billy

Last edited:
It Should Shave on the Face..Albeit Maybe Not the Most Comfortable..My Pen Knife will Shave Arm Hair but I Wouldn't Put it Near My Face..A Ragged or Rough SR Blade without a Proper Bevel Set will Shave Arm Hair to the Cows Come Home..Put it on the Face & Ouch !!. :D

Billy

That Gold Dollar I sent you wouldn't of spread butter, never mind shave arm hair. :p

Sober on a Saturday night so why not hone a razor and why not my Nemesis: the Gold Dollar. Surprise. Surprise. Setting bevel went real smooth. And bevel shaved hair on my arm and Yay! bevel had no problem tidying up my beard neckline. Not sure why the Gold Dollar suddenly gave in to my honing skill. Maybe because I have had a 6 month long break from honing. Maybe tech is better. Maybe my mental attitude is better. Maybe it was just luck :)

Sober on a Saturday night so why not hone a razor and why not my Nemesis: the Gold Dollar. Surprise. Surprise. Setting bevel went real smooth. And bevel shaved hair on my arm and Yay! bevel had no problem tidying up my beard neckline. Not sure why the Gold Dollar suddenly gave in to my honing skill. Maybe because I have had a 6 month long break from honing. Maybe tech is better. Maybe my mental attitude is better. Maybe it was just luck :)
That Gold Dollar I sent you wouldn't of spread butter, never mind shave arm hair. :p
How True..Blunter than a Mistresses Ass..:D:D:D

Billy

Just when you think you are getting it you hit a razor that wont or somebody raises the bar even higher.
So I have one where the bevel at the toe on the LH side is not contacting the stone going by visual inspection of the bevel and watching the water film, RH side is fine, one layer of tape, edge leading strokes and light torque applied to the razor. Does this mean the toe is out of line biased to the right or the LH side has been abraded too much at the toe? Any ideas on the best way to correct this please?

Just when you think you are getting it you hit a razor that wont or somebody raises the bar even higher.
So I have one where the bevel at the toe on the LH side is not contacting the stone going by visual inspection of the bevel and watching the water film, RH side is fine, one layer of tape, edge leading strokes and light torque applied to the razor. Does this mean the toe is out of line biased to the right or the LH side has been abraded too much at the toe? Any ideas on the best way to correct this please?
Its Always Hard to Say without the Razor at Hand on the Hone..There Could be a Bend or Twist in the Spine..It Could Also be the Heel or the Stabilizer that is Holding it Up..Hone Wear on the Spine Can be Another Cause..A Common Cause is the Opposite Heel to that Toe Needing Metal Removed to True Up the Bevel..But..You have the Razor at Hand..Its Always Hard to Comment Blindly..:oops:

Most Razors I Get to Hone..The Heel on Either Side Usually Needs Brought into Line with the Toe..I usually Hone with the Heel Forward or Even Slightly Forward..Rock the Blade Flat on the Hone & Feel what is Going On & have a Close Gander..The Heel on Many SRs have Never Been Brought into Line from the 1st Day they have Been Honed in My Humble Experience..Its Very Common..o_O

Sometimes the Heel or Stabilizer Needs Steel Removed by a Grinder..I have to Do this On Occasion..Stablizers Can be Ground Uneven from the Factory Even on Vintage SRs..Some Guys Grind the Heel Area as a Matter of Course..I Don't Unless I have to..Why ?..:confused:

Cause it Can Do Away with the Natural Roundness or the Curvature of a Blade & Straighten the Edge..The Natural Curvature of a Blade which is Often Very Subtle Provides a Smoother Shaver in My Books..Thats Why its there..But..Sometimes it Does Indeed Require Done..I Do it Grudgingly..:D

Billy

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Billy. Spine wear looks biased towards the heel on both sides hence the heel is worn more than the toe I have only honed it with tape. More spine wear on the RH side heel end than the LH side so that could explain the toe problem. Will take it back to the stones gently and have a really good look.

Thanks for the reply Billy. Spine wear looks biased towards the heel on both sides hence the heel is worn more than the toe I have only honed it with tape. More spine wear on the RH side heel end than the LH side so that could explain the toe problem. Will take it back to the stones gently and have a really good look.
Right..I May have a Picture what's Goin on..Sometimes You Need to FILL those Hone Wear Gaps in those Areas with Pieces of Tape..ONLY on the Hone Wear Bits..Then Use One Complete Layer of Tape on Top ..You are Still Essentially Honing with One Layer of Tape..I Hope that Makes Sense..I Use this Method a Lot with Wedges with a Lot of Hone Wear..Only Difference with Wedges is I Normally Use at Least 2 Layers or Maybe 3..;)

It Fills in the Gaps & Helps to True Up the Spine Wear to get it Flat on the Hone before You Use a Full Layer of Tape..:D

Billy

Last edited:
Just tried to fix an edge, toe on one side and heel on the other side needed attention on this wobbly chinese blade, it worked, edge is not perfect but in much better shape, tape on tape is a big help but I am not a skilled enough honer to take full advantage of it yet.

Glad you have the picture! Razor was rocking slightly on a freshly flattened hone RH side, I just used light finger pressure on the spine towards the toe razor flat on the stone. Repeated both sides, razor edge now cuts water nicely both bevels and the heel is coming in to line slowly. Get the idea with the tape and will use that if I buy another train wreck. I may have lost that curvature of the blade but I will see it through now, just needed a kick in the right direction. Thanks!

Perhaps it's the stones individuals are using. Maybe a 1k isn't abrasive enough to fix the discrepancies. Why not try going down to a 600 to remove some metal then polish it off with a 1k and so on? Synthetic and naturals play a part too. Some people love the keen edge a synthetic run gives a straight others prefer the edge a straight gets from natural stones like coticule or jnats or a mix of both. The steel plays a huge part. Swedish steel is hard, Damascus is harder!
If you feel like you are going to damage the edge send it off to someone then start practicing with another straight. There are lots of services online that will hone your razor or the @Fergiebilly gentleman sounds like he knows what he's doing.
Just don't give up!!

Back
Top Bottom