Your first camera

There were some very good cameras from Russia. The Kiev 4 was a particular favourite, and, along with nested matryoshka dolls and Rollei lookalikes, in the 70's it could be bought from the Russian Shop in High Holborn.

@Cristobal

Semiotics? Shit - were you taught by Umerto Eco? ha ha. I.

Funnily enough, at that time I asked him about Eco's novels (Foucault's Pendulum, my favourite book) and he advised me to read it backwards (from the last chapter to the first one); apparently he used to do that with The Lord of the Rings on a regular basis. It's supposed to give you a fresh look on the story, you might notice some new things that make sense, etc. Broadly speaking, he suggested to do that with your favourite books.

Last edited:

Although one of his lighter reads - I really enjoyed Eco's 'The Name of the Rose.' Apart from his amusing habit of hiding important plot pointers in the chapter introductions rendered in medieval Latin. I always got the impression that - no matter where he was - Eco would be the most clever person in the room. Did reading books backwards work for you? I can see the logic. cheers - I.

You're right, Eco was a true humanist.

I haven't tried to read backwards yet, but in my opinion it's a very smart way to rediscover a book.

As for The name of the rose, it's the latin precisely that put me off. I did study it in high school though (4 years... Very useful when your mother tongue is a Romance language, even in English incidentally). Anyway when reading the novel, I didn't have the courage to translate dozens of paragraphs...

Last edited:
And here I thought Foucault's Pendulum was about the mysteries surrounding the invention of Kodak's Brownie Hawkeye. Now, for sure, I have to get my hands on Eco's book.

Back in high school I worked in the darkroom (early 1970's) for the school paper and year book. Was really into B&W photography. Saved up and got a Minolta SRT-101. It still took great photos up to 10 years ago - because that's when I lost it somewhere? To this day I can't figure (sadly) what the heck happened to it. Wished I still had it.

My first camera was Kiev-19 with a stock Helios 50mm lens, got it from my parents at around 14-15, and it had been my main camera until I got EOS 350D a few years later.
A very basic camera if you compare it with the likes of Nikon (it's also F mount, btw), but did everything I needed at the time, and compared to the rest of the Soviet-era cameras it was actually among the very best overall - very durable too, I remember shooting when it was -20C outside.
Used to experiment a lot with the b&w photo and darkroom, since I had a friend at a uni photo lab and could use it on occasion, but many of the films I shot were long expired Svemas, so results were peculiar at best. The only other B&W film available at the time was Kodak (C41), which was expensive (for a kid) and you'd have to be lucky to get it.

Last edited:
My photo history: Voigtländer Bessamatic, Nikon F Photomic, Rollei 35 T or maybe it was S, Nikon F90X, then came digital and was I happy, no more film, no more developing, no more scanning, I have never looked back, better quality? nah! but so much more convenient...

I bought this wonderful Mamiya before going to Cuba in 1980. It remained my favorite handling camera for a long time. I forget what happened to it, I either donated it to a street kid project in Vietnam or it's well hidden in my Dad's garage.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk