Yaqi Tile - How does it compare with the Henson AL13+?

I'm eyeing the Yaqi Tile in Ali Express, and wondering how it compares with the AL13+ (ie, the mild one)? Personally, the Al13+ is too mild for my tastes, although it does make for a good head-shaver. So I'm wondering if the Yaqi Tile is a little more efficient. Anyone have any experience?

It feels similar to the medium plate, and the efficiency is similar too, for me. The biggest difference is the larger gap of the Tile giving it decent lather flow-through, and that the Tile doesn't bend the blade as much by the top cap, though the difference in feel is subtle for me.

Last edited:
I've watched a few YouTube videos on the Tile, and decided to pull the trigger. It's inexpensive, free shipping, and I've picked up a couple of different stainless steel handles to complement the head. Looking forward to trying this as a head-shaver.

My Tile razor head from Yaqi arrived today, and I paired it with an ABody stainless steel handle also bought from Ali Express.

The Tile is clearly a Henson clone, as you can see from the side-by-side with my AL13. However, with an all-stainless steel construction, compared with all-aluminium, the Tile weighs in at 96gm, versus the Henson's 38gm. The ABody handle is also longer than the Henson's and, in my opinion, nicer looking. Indeed, the Tile Franken-razor looks more stylish than the AL13, and the greater weight is a plus, in my view.

I'll be testing the Tile in a head shave tomorrow, so will report on findings. The AL13 is too mild to give a satisfactory head shave without a lot of work, so I'll be interested to see how the Tile fares.

IMG_0483 Medium.png

IMG_0482 Medium 2.png

Fun times with the Yaqi Tile.

Started with a head shave, kitting the Tile out with a 4th use Feather blade. Felt pretty draggy and inefficient. More efficient than my Henson, certainly, but definitely not very comfortable. I gave up after the first pass and finished the head using my Leaf and a 3rd use Permasharp.

Of course, it may just have been a fluke, so I tried the Tile with the Feather for the face shave: two strokes in, and dragging and tugging uncomfortably. So I swapped out the Feather for a brand new Astra SP. No improvement.

I swapped to my Rex Ambassador for the remainder of the shave, trying first the Feather and then the Astra. The Feather was definitely tuggy, but I've had 5 shaves out of it, and it's been an excellent blade on previous shaves, so it's just on its way out. The Astra - no problems. Completed the face shave in comfort.

Thoughts on the Tile. Looks nice, but unrefined. More efficient than the Henson, but only just; and the stainless steel is definitely nowhere near the finish of the Ambassador.

The handle I used with the Tile though, is great. I have a Yaqi Mellon head on the way, so I'll give that a try with this excellent handle. It fits my Rockwell 6C too, so a handy thing to have around.

I'll give the Tile another go with a different blade and different soap and see if there's a sweet spot somewhere. But as a Henson replacement for head shaves? Yeah, Nah. I'll stick with the Leaf.

Here to eat my words a little.

Gave the Tile another whirl today. Astra SP blade, Henri & Victoria Cognac and Cuban Cigars soap (a sampler I've had for a few weeks), and my trusty Old Grafton Century T3 boar brush.

The Tile started a little rough and tuggy again, but I adjusted my angle, and it actually became more comfortable. I hydrated my lather a little more, and then the Tile actually became pretty comfortable to use. Now, I'm a cold water shaver, and I wondered what might happen if I rinsed and lubricated the razor using warm water, so I gave that a go, and the Tile really improved. The warm water was what it needed to achieve a decent level of lubrication and move over my face smoothly and without discomfort. I was really surprised, having had so much drag in the previous shave.

It's much more comfortable and efficient than the Henson, and the weight of the stainless steel head and handle way more to my preference, but it is still a relatively mild shave. Better than the Henson AL13+ for certain, but I still had to go over the trouble spots a few times. Warm water and a very well hydrated, slick lather is also needed for it, but give it those things, and the Tile is really not bad at all.

I'll give it another go on the bonce using warm water and something really slick, and see how it fares. So I will be using it more. Funny how different razors, made of different materials, require such different, subtle variations...

IMG_0484 Medium.png

The Henri & Victoria Cognac and Cuban Cigars soap has a phenomenal scent and my all time favourite. Great write up about the Tile.
I agree on the H&V scent. In the tub, it’s subtle, but once you lather, the tobacco notes really come out, and I enjoyed it. Their soaps also lather really well; the Duc Santal is great too.

and I’m pleased the Tile isn’t a duffer and a little experimentation helped it shine. Maybe it’ll be a good head shaver yet.

In which we update on head shaves with the Yaqi Tile.

Having found that the Tile likes warm water, today's head shave was performed with a very well hydrated lather and warm water rinsing. I used a brand new Nacet in the Tile, and the first pass was okay, but not especially efficient (more efficient than the AL13+, way less than my Leaf). The second, ATG pass wasn't really achieving anything, so I finished up with the Leaf. I'm guessing that if you're a daily head shaver, the Tile will be ace; but as I shave the dome every other day, I needs something more efficient - so Leaf it shall be.

I actually do like the Tile. I think its a good face shaver if you're looking for a medium, no-brainer face shave. Now I have three shave under my belt with it, I know how it handles, and the face shave I had with it today was very comfortable and reasonably efficient. Definitely a keeper, but not my preferred head shaver. For that, the Leaf remains the go-to.

In which we update on head shaves with the Yaqi Tile.

Having found that the Tile likes warm water, today's head shave was performed with a very well hydrated lather and warm water rinsing. I used a brand new Nacet in the Tile, and the first pass was okay, but not especially efficient (more efficient than the AL13+, way less than my Leaf). The second, ATG pass wasn't really achieving anything, so I finished up with the Leaf. I'm guessing that if you're a daily head shaver, the Tile will be ace; but as I shave the dome every other day, I needs something more efficient - so Leaf it shall be.

I actually do like the Tile. I think its a good face shaver if you're looking for a medium, no-brainer face shave. Now I have three shave under my belt with it, I know how it handles, and the face shave I had with it today was very comfortable and reasonably efficient. Definitely a keeper, but not my preferred head shaver. For that, the Leaf remains the go-to.
I know someone who's a head shaver and whom I've observed while he was shaving his head, and I noticed that even when he thinks he's keeping the angle, he isn't.
The case isn't that that the milder of the two razors he has is inefficient, but that he cannot use it properly because he has no decent feedback when he shaves e.g. the back of his head, because even with two mirrors, it's difficult to see what's happening.

While that might not be the case with you.
However, I'd suggest just picking up something that doesn't have a narrow range of working angles (which are likely to be more aggressive without necessarily being more efficient), or something that you already have that's like the Leaf - a razor with a pivoting head.
It isn't that you couldn't get there with the Tile, but that until you'd get enough practice with it for it to not require any care, your'd have a bunch of semi-frustrating shaves, like you've already had, and you don't seem to care for it much.

I know someone who's a head shaver and whom I've observed while he was shaving his head, and I noticed that even when he thinks he's keeping the angle, he isn't.
The case isn't that that the milder of the two razors he has is inefficient, but that he cannot use it properly because he has no decent feedback when he shaves e.g. the back of his head, because even with two mirrors, it's difficult to see what's happening.

While that might not be the case with you.
However, I'd suggest just picking up something that doesn't have a narrow range of working angles (which are likely to be more aggressive without necessarily being more efficient), or something that you already have that's like the Leaf - a razor with a pivoting head.
It isn't that you couldn't get there with the Tile, but that until you'd get enough practice with it for it to not require any care, your'd have a bunch of semi-frustrating shaves, like you've already had, and you don't seem to care for it much.
I think you’re right - and maintaining the angle on the head is a challenge. this is where the pivoting head and overall design of the Leaf shines.

Back
Top Bottom