Worthwhile ???

I was given this today.

Scales are aftermarket :icon_rolleyes: and thick, uncomforatable etc.

---- but, is the blade worthwhile as a refurb ?

Would it make a decent user ?

100_4408.jpg

100_4409.jpg

100_4410.jpg

100_4411.jpg

It does have a wee bit of toe wear and the edge is about as sharp as the spine !
Pitting is not too drastic IMHO

The chap that gave it to me is about 67'ish and it was his grandfathers.

Steve

Here's what you need to find out before you do anything. Begin honing it on a 1k stone. You don't need to make a true bevel, just remove enough of the tarnish to see what is underneath. You're looking for pitting on the edge or close to the edge. If it goes too deep and makes the edge look like swiss cheese, the razor is done. Especially since this specimen is a hollow ground.

Hi, Steve sorry I didn't respond earlier, but pretty much what Lee's saying, and also you have a smiling edge and you need a new set of scales, that will cost around £20, plus the restore, maybe you would be better off putting that cash towards a better quality razor that needs a little less work, that will certainly be my vew. but being a very good knife customizer yourself, perhaps this would be a nice learning curve and worth while project for you.

Regards Jamie

I'd definitely put an edge on it as Lee describes because that razor appeals to me a lot. It might turn out to be crumbly, but if not then I'd be inclined to restore it - long job though. The smile is nothing to worry too much about, besides once you've got back to good steel it will probably have sorted itself out.

Back
Top Bottom