Active Wolfman WR3 pass around

Just for my own curiosity I took a couple of measurements, I just wanted to put it into perspective for myself with its only generally available modern alternative (Sabre).

There's a fair margin for error with the measurements, both with the calipers and user error with placement on the head but it gives it some perspective. I've also taken a snap (no measurements) with it beside a couple of vintages (1912 & Clog Pruf).

I've marked it under spoiler, so if you'd rather take it as you find it or just aren't bothered then please feel free to ignore.

Cheers

Marc

View attachment 81255View attachment 81256View attachment 81257

Left to Right: ATT G1, Blackland Sabre L2, MM Clog Pruf, 1912, Wolfman WR3
View attachment 81259

View attachment 81260
Maybe I'm biased as it was my introduction to SE razors and I have 4 of them, but the 1912 is the most handsome of the bunch.
(and it's not even a sun-ray)
I'll shave with 1912s and Micromatics until I get my hands on the Wolfman. Just to give it tough competition.

Maybe I'm biased as it was my introduction to SE razors and I have 4 of them, but the 1912 is the most handsome of the bunch.
(and it's not even a sun-ray)
I'll shave with 1912s and Micromatics until I get my hands on the Wolfman. Just to give it tough competition.
Funnily enough the 1912 was mine too, it was through the newbie box that I had a go which kicked off the rest of it (damn that box!). But I can see where you're coming from, it is a stunning razor and clearly stands the test of time.

Good call, I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's experience with it. Always take what I say with a pinch of salt, I'm not the best at communicating the apparent nuances that others pick up on. Bitey...not bitey...just think caveman and that's about my limit.

Not had a chance to try it yet but here are a few more snaps of the WR3.

WR3 passaround 3.JPG

However, I did have time to take a few measurements with some other Wolfman handles.

WR3 head - 36g
With WRH7 handle (one from the passaround) - 107g
With Darwin - 93g
With WRH2 - 115g
With WRH3 - 112g
With WRH1 - 135g

WR3 passaround 4.jpgWR3 passaround 5.JPG

I'm going to try with a variety of handles, possibly not the oversized WRH1 though! All handles are solid.

So I started off with OC prototype as I've been enjoying the Micromatics so much. It's really smooth but gives a nice efficient shave with zero irritation. The combs are smooth and you can barely feel them or the blade to be honest. Not super aggressive if you watch the angle and use a super light touch. Not sure why James has maxed out the production WR3 at 0.60 unless the blade exposure has been tweaked a little.

Yes, the head is oversized and it takes GEM blades but it's a great razor for me. Sure I would prefer something closer in size to the Sabre or Micromatics but it isn't an issue. Good heft in SS. I went with the WRH2 handle to start with. It can't compete with the Micromatic for agility and lower weight - unless you were to spring for a titanium WR3 perhaps - but it doesn't matter. It handles fine with a little care. Holds the blade excellently, so smooth and just feels solid compared to the Micromatic. I need to do a direct comparison to the Sabre soon.

Blade loading on the prototype isn't perfect with the little dot but it looks like James has solved that in the production razor. I'm going to try the 0.40 SB tomorrow but could easily use the prototype all week. Not a hint of irritation.

Thanks so much @Scorpio93 (y)

Ah, that's much better for loading the blade.

Today was the 0.40 on the handle included on the pass around - WRH7. I like the balance of the WR3 on this handle and it's lighter helping with the light touch approach I'm taking. Think I will try the Darwin next to really bring the weight down. Very nice shave, smooth but not wildly more so than the OC even with the reduced gap. Obviously not as efficient as the OC prototype but an enjoyable shave.

The SB is closer in feel to the Sabre. I still need to do a half and half shave to get a proper comparison though. And a WR3 v WR3 shave as well.

Getting used to the size of the head now. I love the compact size of the WR1 but the larger format of the GEM razor isn't really an issue.

Will revert back to the OC tomorrow.

Although the Darwin is lighter and is a pretty good match for the WR3 head I do prefer the shave with the WRH7. Despite only having a small amount of knurling the 7 handle feels much more secure with wet fingers. I only kept the Darwin to try it on the WR3 head. I've stopped using it on the WR1. Maybe it is much better in the brushed finish?

Another close shave with the OC. Blade loading is still not ideal. A friend of mine actually cut himself with a misaligned blade on a pass around in the states.

No irritation from any shaves so far.

I'm planning on the Sabre/WR3 SB showdown tomorrow.

I struggled to feel much difference with the sabre compared to the SB, interested to see how you find it side by side

100% agree

WR3 passaround 20.jpg

Loading up the razors last night I realised the weights are identical so I went back to the WRH7 handle. After four shaves I can say this GEM Wolfman for me is better with heavier handles and this handle is a mid range from my selection. The WR1 is great with lighter handles, especially the higher gaps, but the head is much more compact and lighter. The shape of the WR3 and the extra metal tends to make it more balanced towards the head. Adding a hefty handle neutralises this. I've shaved with the OC prototype twice, with a hefty WRH2 and the slender Darwin. The Darwin actually gave increased blade feel.

Anyway, back to the showdown with the Sabre L2. This is going to sound odd but I missed the large head of the WR3 when switching razors! The Sabre now seems tiny in comparison. Guess I'll have to throw away that Vector now. For pure efficiency both razors are pretty much neck and neck. Maybe the WR3 was the tiniest touch closer or perhaps I'm just more used to it now. Smoothness goes to the WR3 no question. I haven't used the L1 plate for ages but that is a better comparison. The machined finish could be factor. I'd still prefer a higher gap for the Wolfman SB if I was to order one.

WR3 passaround 11.JPG
WR3 passaround 13.jpg

Another feature of the SB is the inability to clog but of course I've only used it for daily shaves so far. Despite the larger 0.9 gap of the Sabre the 0.40 matches it for efficiency without a problem. It would be pointless to compare with the OC as that is alot more efficient. I'd like to try a mid-range OC if the opportunity presents itself. I do prefer the WR3 to the Sabre although it clearly loses points for agility. I don't mind that to be honest but I do like heavy brass razors - Hone, Colonial General etc.

Then again, you see that Darwin handle right there, yes that one ,in a machined finish.

Homer Simpson Reaction GIF

After spending most of my life in fabrication engineering, polished is hiding something, normally poor quality, its like lipstick and high heels, camouflage if you like to take your eye from the actual.

In the pub
Make Up Lol GIF by Lifetime

In the morning
The Witches GIF

Give me me good honest quality hand tool or cnc marks or a nice brushed look. It's more honest.
YMMV
T

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom