Wiping Blades

Apologies if this question has been discussed already, but I couldn't find any reference using the search facility. The question is, why are we advised not to wipe our DE blades when cleaning them after a shave?

Because you could a) damage the cutting edge(s) or b) hurt yourself... ?
Absolutely, and to do the job properly (both sides of the blade), you'd forever be taking the blade out and putting it back. Bear in mind that a DE blade gets blunt through slicing whiskers, skin and whatnot. With a blade in a razor, wiping it on a towel, however carefully, is in effect simulating its use when shaving.

I think maybe you can prolong the life of a blade if you give it a bit of a wipe and keep it dry. So maybe this no-wiping advice is a ruse to get us to buy more blades.

Edit: I don't wipe my blades.

I think maybe you can prolong the life of a blade if you give it a bit of a wipe and keep it dry. So maybe this no-wiping advice is a ruse to get us to buy more blades.

Edit: I don't wipe my blades.
It shouldn't matter to a large degree with modern stainless steel blades unless you live somewhere with very challenging humidity.

I just give them a good rinse, without removing from the razor and leave the razor with blade still inside somewhere warm with good ventilation

Here's the response from a few years back on another forum by whom I believe was a Gillette employee and who eventually quit posting due to the amount of morons who only wanted to argue with him.

Personally I do not wipe the blade UNLESS there is a particular reason to. Sometimes I like to use a preshave oil in my routine, and this causes soap residue to stick to the blade. On these occasions, I do wipe the blade, albeit very carefully, and always pulling the leading sharp edge away so that it does not cut into the towel or denim I am wiping against.

To put things into context here, remember we are talking about something which in most instances costs less than 10 pence.

Aside from a few notable exceptions (vintage blades and Gillette Goal), I bin a blade after 3 uses and lose no sleep about it at all

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

I tried wiping it. In most cases i gotca blade full of towel threads. Or a cut finger. It's too complicated and not worth it.
Good rinse and pat dry maybe and that's it.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk