William Revitt razor

This board has gone eerily quiet recently: you're probably all too modest to post here aren't you? Anyway ...

Here's a pretty little Sheffield razor which I've owned for probably 20 years, and it's finally ready to be put to use. I'm indebted to Neil Miller for most of the work on the blade, including honing - all I did with it was the initial clean up to 240 grit and rebushing the pivot hole. The maker's stamp was never legible to me, and it's very nearly buffed out now, but Neil supplied the following information:

"It's a very old blade, therefore probably a softer metal. Maker was William Revitt, of Stannington, Sheffield. His business was conducted from Meadow Street, and he first appears in the 1825 Sheffield Directory. There was a flood in Sheffield in 1865, and Wm Revitt claimed £4 10s 0d loss of property!"

So, 150 years old, give or take. It's a shade over 1/2" at its widest, but it would be an exaggeration to say it was a 9/16".

Scales are in ash retrieved from the bin at work (all right, I make sure that bits like that wind up as scrap...) and are bookmatched; the wedge is buffalo horn. The timber is quite iridescent, and changes colour as you turn it in the light, not that you'd know it from my photos.

Revitt1.jpg

Revitt3.jpg

Revitt4.jpg

Revitt5.jpg

Revitt6.jpg

Thanks chaps. I got a pretty reasonable shave from it last night, which is testament to Neil's perseverance - I think the honing caused him a good deal of trouble, what with bits flaking off and asymmetric grinding.

Lovely job on the scales, Andy! I can imagine those bands that change colour as you turn the razor - it must look even better 'in the flesh' than it does in the photos.

All the Best,
Neil

Back
Top Bottom