Wilkinson's Shaving Sticks

What ho, all...

Well, as expected, I received my Wilkinson's (as in Sword, not the discount retailer) shaving sticks this morning and as promised I have given it a test run this evening.

ORIGIN: Suspect Solingen but nothing stated.

COLOUR: Blue, mid, not quite the same very pale hue as the bowl's soap.

SCENT: Nothing really, is it my nose? Don't think so. Not at all as 'clinical' as the blue bowl soap. I quite like the bowl but it'll be better to wait a few shaves to be more convinced either way I think.

LATHER: Quite good overall, not as effusive as a Palmolive stick but certainly more frothy than the Erasmic stick. The Wilky Blue Bowl is a better 'Santa beard' too. Contains tallow and lanolin.

I used my Lord L6, an Israeli Shave Shack blade and swirled it all up with an EJ medium sized pure badger brush; really what I'd call the B team. Although the Lord is a decent enough little piece of lightweight kit (they are made in Egypt) which has never let me down, if it fell to the floor it doesn't seem very robust to an impact. HDs break things not the other way round.

A decent enough 2 pass, second shave (WTG & XTG) of the day although I felt its on-face application could have been a little more moist. More water would have simply made it more watery (if that doesn't sound too gormless). I felt a lot better once the old Nivea after shave balm was slapped on.

One point to note for the travelling gents among our ranks; I usually carry a (Palmolive) stick in a handy EJ ebony travel tube. The Wilky stick has a larger diameter plastic octagnal base which is too broad to fit into said tube. Simply swap the bases with a Palmolive stick to ensure the perfect fit.

I quite enjoyed the shave (no nicks), smooth but realistically nothing memorable, however I do think that the Palmolive is a little better. I intend to persevere and I'll update in a week or two.

At 62p each they are a worthy addition to your armoury/stash and, all in all, I'd recommend a purchase.

Blade direct are owed a mention too; low cost, fast delivery and good packaging.

Best wishes to all and happy Wilky scraping!

Back
Top Bottom