Wilkinson Sword Synthetic Shaving Brush

It's for real ...

AM-JKLXBx_jATuTbafguigAbvLfvHz86TXh--V3KNEImOZDm7NBoSXwhK48pklFPhr2Kmx1D-cshKWvecQEGwZZygChfyiCTD67Dvk62l5aD3WSBbIQRu7G2ob3uUuIuK_d4BMDivDZ6ZPCy01pnHPw1oD_pqQ=w500

Some chatter here https://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/community/threads/newbie-to-shaving-brushes-need-help-please.54329 with a confusing set of claims that the Wilkinson Sword shaving brush is synthetic and has been for about a decade, while others have never seen such a thing and have only seen (and even bought) boar bristle brushes.

Well @saj1985 saw one for real the other day but omitted to whip his phone out to take a snap ... and worse, didn't buy one. Shopping this evening, Sainsbury had them for about £4.50 and I bagged one.

Upon opening it, my fears were not necessarily confirmed but some negativity was most definitely prickled. First, a few bristles came clean out, then a quick rinse under a hot tap to reset the knot left me looking at what appeared to be badly cut fibres which had a definite amateur haircut appearance. I was left a little saddened.

In use, actually, it is quite nice ...

Not really nice. Not that, but it is better than the Omega S-Brush in that it is softer and doesn't flick anything like. In many respects, it actually like somewhere between S-Brush fibre and Cashmere fibre. It is very soft, little backbone but somehow holds itself well. Loading was without issue on my 50+ years old vintage soap that I'm bringing back to life and lathering worked up a treat! In all, a damn sight more satisfactory than their poor boar brushes and despite the tiny girth (by today's standards), it's a good little brush!

I am confused, though ...

Wilkinson Sword have had a logo rebrand of late, possibly a couple of years ago, and have sought to remove old stock. The standard boar brush has been available with the new logo for some time now and it would seem old stock has finally petered out. Confused, I say? Yes, this brush has the old logo.

That rather suggests to me that there was such a thing, maybe a decade ago, but perhaps pulled quickly as the market was not quite ready for it? Certainly all I've seen over the last decade (and more) is the boar bristle brush which changed from having a metal ring around the base of the knot to a plastic ring (as this brush has). All I can find in google images is the boar brush, the limited run badger hair brush and the more limited blue handle brush ... but not synthetic fibre.

Confusing, but I'm not going to puzzle too hard as I am rather happy with this little purchase.

Not really nice. Not that, but it is better than the Omega S-Brush in that it is softer and doesn't flick anything like. In many respects, it actually like somewhere between S-Brush fibre and Cashmere fibre. It is very soft, little backbone but somehow holds itself well. Loading was without issue on my 50+ years old vintage soap that I'm bringing back to life and lathering worked up a treat! In all, a damn sight more satisfactory than their poor boar brushes and despite the tiny girth (by today's standards), it's a good little brush!

I'm usually a boar brush enthusiast, but I actually think changing the fibre could be a good thing. Like many others, the boar Wilk Sword was my first brush ever, and I struggled to get a good lather with it, had lots of issues with shedding too. I imagine there was little wrong with the brush, but my technique was poor, well it was to be expected I was a beginner! I imagine for other beginners who will come across this brush in the supermarket will use this brush and probably have greater success at building a lather. Even the Omega S Brush fibre might be a bit springy, but it's actually pretty good at building a lather with.

I am sad to have discarded my original Wilkinson Sword boar brush bought some time in the early 1990s. My first brush, too. I have no idea why I bought it because I didn't use a hard shaving soap until I came here about a decade ago ... I used canned goo. I have since bought another Wilki boar and it wasn't right cracking, but actually no worse than (say) the little Culmak brushes from the 1980s and 1970s. Regarding the S-Brush, I think pulling the knot and popping it onto an American-style professional handle might make it more useful.

Something else to say ...

While the Cashmere feels like a super-soft boar, this WIlki synthetic fibre feels probably more like horse hair, reminding me somewhat of the Vie-Long knots I've used. Without the incessant tangling. So, one up on those knots ... one up on the S-Brush, good couple of clicks down from the Cashmere, way more usable than the little Kent Infinity Silvertex.

It's for real ...

AM-JKLXBx_jATuTbafguigAbvLfvHz86TXh--V3KNEImOZDm7NBoSXwhK48pklFPhr2Kmx1D-cshKWvecQEGwZZygChfyiCTD67Dvk62l5aD3WSBbIQRu7G2ob3uUuIuK_d4BMDivDZ6ZPCy01pnHPw1oD_pqQ=w500

Some chatter here https://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/community/threads/newbie-to-shaving-brushes-need-help-please.54329 with a confusing set of claims that the Wilkinson Sword shaving brush is synthetic and has been for about a decade, while others have never seen such a thing and have only seen (and even bought) boar bristle brushes.

Well @saj1985 saw one for real the other day but omitted to whip his phone out to take a snap ... and worse, didn't buy one. Shopping this evening, Sainsbury had them for about £4.50 and I bagged one.

Upon opening it, my fears were not necessarily confirmed but some negativity was most definitely prickled. First, a few bristles came clean out, then a quick rinse under a hot tap to reset the knot left me looking at what appeared to be badly cut fibres which had a definite amateur haircut appearance. I was left a little saddened.

In use, actually, it is quite nice ...

I am confused, though ...

Wilkinson Sword have had a logo rebrand of late, possibly a couple of years ago, and have sought to remove old stock. The standard boar brush has been available with the new logo for some time now and it would seem old stock has finally petered out. Confused, I say? Yes, this brush has the old logo.

That rather suggests to me that there was such a thing, maybe a decade ago, but perhaps pulled quickly as the market was not quite ready for it? Certainly all I've seen over the last decade (and more) is the boar bristle brush which changed from having a metal ring around the base of the knot to a plastic ring (as this brush has). All I can find in google images is the boar brush, the limited run badger hair brush and the more limited blue handle brush ... but not synthetic fibre.

Confusing, but I'm not going to puzzle too hard as I am rather happy with this little purchase.
Yea don't know why I didn't grab it lol
I initially saw it in morrisons and you grabbed it from sainsburys so maybe they're just rolling it out?

Sorry to hijack this thread but can anyone date this ?
i’m thinking 70’s but could be way of the mark.
Another ebay find but this one was Brand new in the box.
Not the best brush i own but i still rather like it and there’s isn’t many going around
i’m assuming it’s probably newer than the 70’s due to the plastic ring as mentioned by the OP5EE79A22-CE02-4FE5-B3A1-6240736A8160.jpegyou

Last edited:
Sorry to hijack this thread but can anyone date this ?

Why? Is it feeling lonely? :D

Circa 2017??? Found in a bricks and mortar shop.

... another thread on B&B with dates from 2017.

I'm a bit of a brush junkie and I rate my WS boar pretty highly despite having collected much more expensive synthetic, badger and even horse hair brushes. I use the old classic (in the blue box) in my rotation but also have the newer classic, the "Best of British" and the badger version all unused. I'll definitely be adding the new synth to my collection.
They're not the greatest but, I'm no snob and I rate these as a lot of brush for not a lot of money.
Sad, I know.:)

I'm a bit of a brush junkie and I rate my WS boar pretty highly despite having collected much more expensive synthetic, badger and even horse hair brushes. I use the old classic (in the blue box) in my rotation but also have the newer classic, the "Best of British" and the badger version all unused. I'll definitely be adding the new synth to my collection.
They're not the greatest but, I'm no snob and I rate these as a lot of brush for not a lot of money.
Sad, I know.:)
Wilkinsons (or Wilko or whatver they are called) do a half decent synthetic for around £2.
Dont buy the Erasmic one - its pants. Decent handle though if you plan to reknot it. Reminds me of the Semogue SOC handle a little bit.
I reknotted a couple with badger knots.

Wilkinsons (or Wilko or whatver they are called) do a half decent synthetic for around £2.
Dont buy the Erasmic one - its pants. Decent handle though if you plan to reknot it. Reminds me of the Semogue SOC handle a little bit.
I reknotted a couple with badger knots.

I am not an expert at this but I think Wilko is a very different company from Wilkinson Sword.

Wilko is a northern based budget hardware/gardening and similar stuff company.

I agree, the £2 Wilko brush works well enough for those on a budget, my only complaint is that it is a bit dull in plain grey, almost any other colour would be better and improve sales

I am not an expert at this but I think Wilko is a very different company from Wilkinson Sword.

Wilko is a northern based budget hardware/gardening and similar stuff company.

I agree, the £2 Wilko brush works well enough for those on a budget, my only complaint is that it is a bit dull in plain grey, almost any other colour would be better and improve sales
Im pretty sure it used to be called Wilkinsons back in the day.
I guess you must be too young to remember it!

It was never afflilited to to Wilkinson Sword.

Im pretty sure it used to be called Wilkinsons back in the day.
I guess you must be too young to remember it!

It was never afflilited to to Wilkinson Sword.

You are right, there is a Wilko on my high street which opened about 10 years ago, when it opened it was Wilkinsons then changed to Wilko at some point.

It's one of my favourite shops. How many other high street shops sell bird seed, door bell wire, shoe polish and chocolate coins within a few metres of each other?

It's a gloriously random retailer.

Back
Top Bottom