Wilkinson Sword razor.

I saw this Wilkinson Sword razor marked down in Tesco, Carlton, Nottingham its only £3.75. They may be reduced elsewhere as well. View attachment 75836
Really good find mate, was that the only one?

I've never really gone out my way looking for this de razor in particular but I think the cheapest I've seen it is about a tenner, so that's a steal tbh

Really good find mate, was that the only one?

I've never really gone out my way looking for this de razor in particular but I think the cheapest I've seen it is about a tenner, so that's a steal tbh
Yes it was the last one left but I didn’t need it so left it for someone else to make use of, came with 5 blades as well.

Yes it was the last one left but I didn’t need it so left it for someone else to make use of, came with 5 blades as well.
Nice gesture mate

I did manage to get the Wilkinson sword razor (pic below) on clearance for £2.50 each but that was the older one they used to sell at boots, this one you found is the newer replacement I think

Wilkinson-Sword-CLASSIC-WET-SHAVE-SAFETY-RAZOR-with-Double-Edge-Blades.jpg

I saw this Wilkinson Sword razor marked down in Tesco, Carlton, Nottingham its only £3.75. They may be reduced elsewhere as well. View attachment 75836
That is a good price ! They’re quite well made I’d say (for the razor in that price bracket / usually around £15-£20 I think)! I actually started out my wetshaving journey with this one - it was included in some starter kit with soap and brush!

The black one in the yellow packet is what Gordy gave me. Lovely mild shave, really opened my eyes to DE (and made me rush off and buy a ball end Tech so I had something to compare it with). Looks nice in all metal, and that's a silly clearance price! I wonder if they shave the same as the yellow packet ones?

The black one in the yellow packet is what Gordy gave me. Lovely mild shave, really opened my eyes to DE (and made me rush off and buy a ball end Tech so I had something to compare it with). Looks nice in all metal, and that's a silly clearance price! I wonder if they shave the same as the yellow packet ones?
Don’t have comparison to the one in yellow packet - but they are a smooth and mild shaver! Would have to try again to judge on efficiency since it’s been around half a year since I’ve tried it last!

Well hopefully my Tech will be here before the end of the week. I'll have to try a few different blades. But the yellow WS Classic is a no-brainer for an SR shaver who's in a hurry! I can't believe I had such a comfortable, efficient shave with no blood loss or irritation and a DFS finish on me first ever go on a DE. These things are great for those new to DE or wet shaving, drag you kicking and screaming to the edge of the rabbit hole... (sure most folks just buy one and use it happily ever after mind you).

The plastic classic is a great razor - love mine and rate it much higher than my Feather Popular for a fast, safe, DE travel razor.

I seem to recall seeing it on another forum in the past branded Treet, who I understand are the original manufacturer?

The plastic classic is a great razor - love mine and rate it much higher than my Feather Popular for a fast, safe, DE travel razor.

I seem to recall seeing it on another forum in the past branded Treet, who I understand are the original manufacturer?
Treet (brand name as part of ASR/Personna as opposed to Treet Group of Pakistan), Schick and Wilkinson Sword are all under the same umbrella - Edgewell Personal Care.

But ... Wilkinson Sword did not become part of that group until 2003 (along with Schick) and I'm pretty sure the WIlkinson Sword Classic pre-dates that. The underside of the Wilko smacks of the earlier Kenneth Grange designs. There is a very similar design with a click in cap under the RACER brand (part of Lord) who we do know were legitimate offspring of Wilkinson Sword. I think that razor goes back to the 1990s.

Screen Shot 2021-08-25 at 09.43.05.jpg

Still, a smashing razor! The Wilko butterfly is also a good catch, by all reports.

Last edited:
I bought the Wilko Metal butterfly a couple (?) of years back when it first appeared in the UK and its a nice enough razor and seems to be good construction with solid materials and quality finish for the price. Gives a safe and mild shave IMO.

There was a lot of discussion at the time on other forums and a few people identified it as a clone of the Weishi 9306-P, with a different handle (interestingly the box picture shows a different handle design to what you actually get in the box).

So I dug out the plastic Wilkinson Sword DE razor and stuck an Astra SP blade in it. Used it with the Boots brand shaving stick I bought out of curiosity recently.

The Boots shave stick seems decent - a good thick lather was easily produced and it cushioned well.

A great shave from the razor too - the elliptical profile head looks slightly unusual, but it shields the blade well and makes for a very safe razor.

Might pick up another to keep as a spare as they are so cheap.

I seem to have two versions of the Classic, one very much like the Lord above but with a plastic cap and one like you see if you google the Classic with a metal bar in the handle, addressing the long-standing criticism of its lightness. I'll get some snaps later on ...

I seem to have two versions of the Classic, one very much like the Lord above but with a plastic cap and one like you see if you google the Classic with a metal bar in the handle, addressing the long-standing criticism of its lightness. I'll get some snaps later on ...
AM-JKLW0ODxwW0Kr0WjfJ8qBuF4T8Z9PsanU5YeN8if2VnjLd87ok1vzq6Q3ywwRkC5Ii7QswE2YemPEoY76EAHc9b_1bpyPc_5eMRhTig43T2Ce9OF0DpQfGy6-xFtZ2FMly9qncjPToGz7YqEWDaB34fUQlg=w1200

AM-JKLVwTBiwJihUQcpuKm4ajh_vok6GVcr6iNy7623AQkuioWs-jrL4C4SJMrWhE6munh5JhV38lZCRWc065E4OuObUcHhZloYu8cogo5uCUBUPe13FmHOdCqEQqNWDFSpXFxbaDLVLgDBpV7WQYOoMmUNCbQ=w1200

Back
Top Bottom