Wilkinson Sword Pall Mall Clean Up

Tony'schin

Staff Member
Supporter
OK, i could not find anything in the Restoration thread about the Pall Mall, therefore:-
Here are the Photo's of a Pall Mall how it came.
The Razor was very gunked up, the strop was dry and had a lot of debris caked on. The Handle was seized to the Head, although the screw mechanism for the head adjustment was "OK".
I was a bit unsure about this one.
Screenshot_20220718-192620_eBay.jpg
Screenshot_20220718-192640_eBay.jpgScreenshot_20220718-192720_eBay.jpg
Anyway, i decided to give it a basic clean to see what was what with the razor, Into the Ultra-sonic bath for about 10 Mins with a drop of washing up liquid.
While this was running i liberally applied saddle soap to the strop and gave it a good clean, i then checked it over, it does have a few nicks which i will look at later, one more application, i let it sink in then palm rubbed the strop to generate a bit heat and it has started to soften.
The Razor was taken out of the Bath and although it had cleaned a lot of the heavy off, it was still pretty filthy, the handle did start to loosen though, so that was a positive.
I then used a soft toothbrush and some bathroom cream and used gentle strokes on all the parts, then a bit toothpaste, things were really looking up. Finishing with normal hand soap and a good rinse. Much better.
The final stage for today was i tried some Brasso and Auto-Sol on a couple of pieces and this will help more.
So 1st deep clean has worked out pretty well.
Pall Mall (1).JPGPall Mall (2).JPG
The Razor takes a GEM blade without the need for a de-spine rework.
It is also adjustable.
Below with the roller guard fully out - Mild setting?
Pall Mall (3).JPG
Then fully back - Hyper aggressive? i will soon find out:eek:
Pall Mall (5).JPG
Below the adjustment screw can be seen at the back of the razor
Pall Mall (6).JPG
The Honing head attached to the handle - I will need to get these blades on the stones, they are not too bad with
blade #1 the only one with a couple of small chips in it.
Pall Mall (7).JPG
Pall Mall (8).JPG
I need a New Vintage catch for the box and will keep tweaking the clean as i go.
All in All a very happy bunny.

Last edited:
OK, i could not find anything in the Restoration thread about the Pall Mall, therefore:-
The Razor was very gunked up, the strop was dry and had a lot of debris caked on. The Handle was seized to the Head, although the screw mechanism for the head adjustment was "OK".

Anyway, i decided to give it a basic clean to see what was what with the razor, Into the Ultra-sonic bath for about 10 Mins with a drop of washing up liquid.
While this was running i liberally applied saddle soap to the strop and gave it a good clean, i then checked it over, it does have a few nicks which i will look at later, one more application, i let it sink in then palm rubbed the strop to generate a bit heat and it has started to soften.
The Razor was taken out of the Bath and although it had cleaned a lot of the heavy off it was still pretty filthy, the handle did start to loosen though, so that was a positive.
I then used a soft toothbrush and some bathroom cream and used gentle strokes on all the parts, then a bit toothpaste, things were really looking up. Finishing with normal hand soap and a good rinse. Much better.
The final stage for today was i tried some Brasso and Auto-Sol on a couple of pieces and this will help more.
View attachment 90942View attachment 90943
It is also adjustable.
View attachment 90944
View attachment 90945
View attachment 90946
The Honing head attached to the handle - I will need to get these blades on the stones, they are not too bad with
View attachment 90947View attachment 90948
I need a New Vintage catch for the box and will keep teaking the clean as i go. All in All a very happy bunny
Good job Tony, lovely razor!

Paul.

View attachment 90954
View attachment 90956View attachment 90955
The Razor was taken out of the Bath and although it had cleaned a lot of the heavy off, it was still pretty filthy, the handle did start to loosen though, so that was a positive.
View attachment 90942View attachment 90943
It is also adjustable.
View attachment 90944
View attachment 90945
View attachment 90946
View attachment 90947
View attachment 90948
I need a New Vintage catch for the box and will keep tweaking the clean as i go.
All in All a very happy bunny.
Good work T. - when the stropping head is attached to the handle - instant kamisori! You would never need prove your bravery to me again. :)

- I.

Looks beautiful.

I imagine it's still not vintage enough for @TobyC
There are several I would love to have, and I have bid on some in the past, but I just can't afford the damn things!

There is more than one "Pall Mall", here are a couple, and there are many Wilkinson Sword razors on the same site if anyone wants to look.

I have the very lovely Patent Roller Safety Shaver and the curious pre-Pall Mall Self-Adjusting Safety Shaver. I've had a couple of Empires and a couple of Pall Malls. I am interested in another Pall Mall, to be frank. I also have one of the W21s, which I think is the last of the stropping wedge blade razors and takes that last style of blade.

Lovely items ... and curiously smooth shaves. I think it's more like good technique pays off as there's literally nowt there to class as "safety".

The Wilkinson Sword 7-Day Empire Set is the one I would like to have.

iu

Great restoration job Tony, well done and thanks for sharing. I love doing this type of work and then using the razor. We are truly blessed to have the ubiquitous GEM blade, it is so versatile and can be used in a number of vintage razors.
I’ve tried honing some original blades but haven’t yet perfected it to an acceptable level for a decent shave. Big challenge is to get the honing angle just right. I’ll keep at it though!
Enjoy your Pall Mall shaves!
Alan

Great restoration job Tony, well done and thanks for sharing. I love doing this type of work and then using the razor. We are truly blessed to have the ubiquitous GEM blade, it is so versatile and can be used in a number of vintage razors.
I've never used a gem razor, but have a lot of affection for the blades since learning to use them to edit audio tape! They're also very useful for a lot of household chores.

Back
Top Bottom