Wilkinson Sword and Lord International - DE Stainless Steel Razor Blades

I finally gave Lord's Rainbow DE Blades a first try today...

View attachment 79167

They come in a similar high quality card box and paper wrapping, that Lord's Sharks do - 4 colour, varnished, heavy card outer, with a thick glossy inner paper wrapping - , with the "Rainbow" branding printed prominently on the blade. The blade itself has an unusual copper hue and the inner wrapper appears slightly larger than need be. I head and face shave daily, starting with my head, ATG. I so much wanted these blades to perform as I love the graphics and Lord's Sharks, Silver Star and Asco orange fit me like a glove...alas the blade failed to perform, it struggled to cut one day's hair growth on my head. I ended up switching out the blade for an Asco — normal service was resumed. Lord's Rainbow's received a lot of love about 10 yrs ago, so I am at a loss as to why it did not perform for me, as I can usually make any blade work and can not recall switching out a blade. It maybe the blade edges were damaged in transit (certainly not during unwrapping as I exercise care when unwrapping a blade; Lord has downgraded the blade; they are not genuine Lord blades; poorly stored / old perished stock or I just had an off day. I will give them another go but my perception of these blades may already be coloured. The one positive was that it confirmed how good Lord's Sharks, Silver Star and Asco's work for me.
Nice review on these blades

I remember watching some YouTuber who mentioned these rainbows as his number one favourite blade

Got the lord range in my sampler pack but yet to try them them,
think I read a thread on b&b rating the lord silver stars as really good but blades as you know YMMV

Paul, there are a few I can think of aside from the ones you've mentioned. Aside from the standard Lord Platinum and Asco Platinum there are a few lesser known ones which seem to have gone under the radar.

There are the Lord Captain blades, which are carbon steel. £30 for a 100 on Ebay.

These Lord Super's, which I've never seen elsewhere aside from here.

Also, from this thread, Bolzano blades are no longer made in Germany but in Egypt, presumably by Lord. I'm not sure whether that means the Elios blade is also made by them.

The Lord Captain Carbon Steel sound interesting...do you have a link for the ebay seller?' as nothing is showing...thx...

I had had a similar thought re Lords being essentially a "currently produced vintage Wilkinson" and thought that the Lord Big Ben might be similar to the vintage Wilkinson London Bridge. The name and packaging of Lord Big Ben are clearly an allusion to the vintage Wilkinsons:
1670139191133.png

1670139239579.png

But reviews of the Big Ben seem to be not so great, while the reputation of Wilkinson London Bridge are quite good. Perhaps someone here has tried both?

I had had a similar thought re Lords being essentially a "currently produced vintage Wilkinson" and thought that the Lord Big Ben might be similar to the vintage Wilkinson London Bridge. The name and packaging of Lord Big Ben are clearly an allusion to the vintage Wilkinsons:
View attachment 97098

View attachment 97099

But reviews of the Big Ben seem to be not so great, while the reputation of Wilkinson London Bridge are quite good. Perhaps someone here has tried both?

I have used and still have some of the Big Ben blades that I was gifted by a buddy. All I'll say is that when it comes to Lord DE blades skip the rest and go straight to their flagship blade Platinum.

Back
Top Bottom