Wilkinson Shaving Soap

Just had a grocery delivery. I had ordered the Wilkinson shaving soap in the blue bowl, they delivered the soap in a black bowl.

I have checked the Wilkinson site and one man said that the newer black bowled soap was not as good as the older version, being less lubricious and more scented.

Does anyone have any experience of the two soaps?

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    302.6 KB · Views: 0
I've tried the black bowl version (picked up in the supermarket) and it's just OK, would not buy again. I have not tried the blue bowl version so I cannot say how much difference there is, but I have heard the same thing before "get the blue one". However even the blue one isn't supposed to be much good either. Apparently the sticks are better than the bowls. Then again so are a lot of other soaps which can be had cheap enough! Arko, Proraso, Cella, 3P etc.

Last edited:
Yes. As it happens, neither were especially good but were good enough ... what I would say is that the black bowl is actually more "lubricious" which I take to mean delivering a slicker glide. The blue bowl caused some highly polished razors to kinda skitter.

It's the now discontinued shaving stick you should try. Grab one while you still can and if you're not into sticks, you can grate it and use it like a puck of soap.

If you're an ingredients geek, here's the difference between the bowls:

Blue
Aqua, Stearic Acid, Sodium Hydroxide, Glycerin, Cocos Nucifera, Parfum, Coconut Acid, PEG-7 Glyceryl Cocoate, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Sodium Chloride, Diethylhexyl Sodium Sulfosuccinate, Sodium Benzoate, Ethylparaben, Tetrasodium EDTA, Dimethicone, Amyl Cinnamal, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Citronellol, Hexyl Cinnamal, Limonene & Linalool

Black
Aqua, Palmitic Acid, Stearic Acid, Glycerin, Cocos Nucifera Oil, Coconut Acid, Sodium Hydroxide, Parfum, PEG-7 Glyceryl Cocoate, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Sodium Chloride, Ethylparaben, Diethylhexyl Sodium Sulfosuccinate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Alcohol Denat., Dimethicone, Amyl Cinnamal, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Citronellol, Hexyl Cinnamal, Limonene, Linalool

For clarity my black bowl is the 'new' one. I didn't know there was a black one that predates the blue. But it seems none of them get that much love! Mine is at the back of the cupboard to be PIFfed along with anything I have worth PIFfing in the future!

May I say I very much like the word "lubricious" though! It's almost onomatopoeic, you can almost feel the word slithering off the tongue! Note to self: 'slip' this word into conversation some time but try not to sound seedy.

Thank you both for your detailed and useful replies. I have opened the lid now but it is still unused, the scent is quite strong and I can imagine that it would not suit everyone.

I thought that I had better check that I had used the word lubricious correctly, take care, there are two meanings to the word.

Thanks again for your opinions.

Last edited:
Get it used it’s the only way you’ll find out if you like it.
Even if you do like it you’ll still have it in two years because your going to start buying better

iv just put a spell on you

Magic Dnd GIF by Nick Sazani

Wilkie in a bowl = guff
Wilkie in a stick = great
Wilkie in a modern blade = guff
Wilkie in a vintage blade = great
Wilkie in a swimming pool = champion!

I have recently bought and used the WS black bowl on a whim (as it was reduced to £1 in the Supermarket).

It is OK. Does the job. But at its normal price of about £3, i think you could possibly find better products ?

Back
Top Bottom