Wilkinson Razor Empire Model

So,
here is my Wilkinson Razor Empire Model, a Christmas present from my lovely wife.
It's in fantastic condition - it came with a new unopened blade (the one that was already in the razor was in poor shape) and even the strop is in usable condition!

[attachment=4099]
[attachment=4100]
[attachment=4101]

Now, I'm not one to let something sit on the shelf to gather dust if there's a chance it can be used so I cracked open the new blade, cleaned it all up, stropped and took it for a whirl! It shaves really well - there was a bit of experimentation needed with the adjustable blade and I found it difficult to get the correct angle around the chin but it was my first attempt with an SE.

Can anyone help me out? I would like to know more about these razors: their history, other users opinions etc. even tips for use.

Many thanks

J

Attachments

• DPP_0001.JPG
    DPP_0001.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 32
  • DPP_0003.JPG
    DPP_0003.JPG
    138.3 KB · Views: 51
  • DPP_0004.JPG
    DPP_0004.JPG
    150.9 KB · Views: 47
You may be able to find a Feather SE that will fit it:

(25-06-2011 16:33 )FrenchBlade Wrote:
Not exactlty, feather makes special blades that fit the Valet autostrop, they're available from a US vendor I forgot the name of at 5 USD a packet if I'm not mistaken.

'Max

Here we go. The reason that those Feather SE blades fit the old autostrop razors, Feather at one stage produced a razor based on the old Valet design.

Did-you-ever-wonder-why-Feather-SE-blades-fit-those-old-Valets?

1940-1960s Feather SE razor'

There's more written on the issue.

Possibly resurrecting the dead, here, but you may use a de-spined Gem blade in your particular razor.
feathersingleedgepic3.jpg

Gems, obviously, are cheaper, and you simply need a small pair of angled or flush-cut electrical snips to pop the aluminum spine off the rear. From that point, it will appear much as the SE Feather, and will fit with the rear edges clipped, as shown.

Back
Top Bottom