Why Have More Than One ?

Mike Smart

Supporter
Supporter
just a follow on to a thread i had for a under £50 razor. when i started out with DE i done a fair bit of research and decided on the Feather As-D2s, thinking it was the best & i wouldn't want another, ok crap theory agreed. so my question is why do people have so many ?
why do i want a cheap one ?
and do people actually alternate what they use or do you find you stick with the one you prefer. i just can't get my head around buying a dozen razors only to use one bit am i missing something ?

Because people are looking for the holy grail of shaving experience?

I have 2 similar razors, the MÜHLE R89 and Merkur 34, plus a Gillette slim I've never used. I've had others and settle on these. Unlike you, I'm now considering a more expensive razor. It's part of the rabbit hole you start to go down.

I think in my journey I've changed with time and practice, razors that were my go to razors I wouldn't use now, I started with the Merkur 34 but it has not been used in 5 years, I then bought the Progress which I haven't used for 2 years. The rest I use, maybe not every week but every month for sure. As I became more proficient I enjoyed using more aggressive razors then I found that I liked stainless steel razors so I accumulated 8 razors, then I learnt to shave with a SR.
The only thing I've never been attracted to is buying vintage. DE or SE but I have 2 vintage SR.

So I enjoy shaving with different razors, it's all part of the hobby, however I don't chase the latest razor nor I chase a better shave.... I already get fantastic shaves with the razors that I have and to be honest I doubt I could improve on that.

The same goes with soaps, I can't remember when I shaved twice in a row with the same soap.

I looked at my razors the other day and I have two razors that I will sell, the Progress and the 34G, the rest all get used.... soaps, well that's another story :)

I think in my journey I've changed with time and practice, razors that were my go to razors I wouldn't use now, I started with the Merkur 34 but it has not been used in 5 years, I then bought the Progress which I haven't used for 2 years. The rest I use, maybe not every week but every month for sure. As I became more proficient I enjoyed using more aggressive razors then I found that I liked stainless steel razors so I accumulated 8 razors, then I learnt to shave with a SR.
The only thing I've never been attracted to is buying vintage. DE or SE but I have 2 vintage SR.

So I enjoy shaving with different razors, it's all part of the hobby, however I don't chase the latest razor nor I chase a better shave.... I already get fantastic shaves with the razors that I have and to be honest I doubt I could improve on that.

The same goes with soaps, I can't remember when I shaved twice in a row with the same soap.

I looked at my razors the other day and I have two razors that I will sell, the Progress and the 34G, the rest all get used.... soaps, well that's another story :)
You'll have to change your name if you sell them!

Give the Progress another go. I think you'll enjoy it and end up keeping it.

Here, my regulars are MÜHLE R89 and Exec Shaving Braveheart head, then two travel razors used infrequently and two old razors I call scrap metal. I know that today it's all about freedom of choice, change, challenge and even collecting - let's face it there's more choice of decent shaving gear than ever before. And a lot of us can afford to splash out (credit card's your flexible fried).
As far as I recall my father had the same DE razor and brush for years and cream lasted forever, and as a factory worker most of his wages went on paying off the house and feeding the large family (thank goodness for that).

Because people are looking for the holy grail of shaving experience?

I have 2 similar razors, the MÜHLE R89 and Merkur 34, plus a Gillette slim I've never used. I've had others and settle on these. Unlike you, I'm now considering a more expensive razor. It's part of the rabbit hole you start to go down.
your saying unlike me your going for a more expensive one but (that's) where i started. i now want a cheaper more aggressive razor just to compare really. i can totally understand people collecting razors i get that but what i can't get is if your favourite razor is say £150 plus why would you then go back and have a shave with a say £20 razor just for change

your saying unlike me your going for a more expensive one but (that's) where i started. i now want a cheaper more aggressive razor just to compare really. i can totally understand people collecting razors i get that but what i can't get is if your favourite razor is say £150 plus why would you then go back and have a shave with a say £20 razor just for change
It's not about how much a razor costs, it doesn't matter if one day I shave with a £300 razor and the next day a £50 razor.........just the same as I don't eat prime steak every day, some days I will eat beef burger if that makes more sense. :) P.

Here, my regulars are MÜHLE R89 and Exec Shaving Braveheart head, then two travel razors used infrequently and two old razors I call scrap metal. I know that today it's all about freedom of choice, change, challenge and even collecting - let's face it there's more choice of decent shaving gear than ever before. And a lot of us can afford to splash out (credit card's your flexible fried).
As far as I recall my father had the same DE razor and brush for years and cream lasted forever, and as a factory worker most of his wages went on paying off the house and feeding the large family (thank goodness for that).
Probably still a fair few like your father. I know a chap that's still using his Mach 3 and the Wilkinson bowl year after year. Same boar brush for years as well. It's merely a task for him
It's not about how much a razor costs, it doesn't matter if one day I shave with a £300 razor and the next day a £50 razor.........just the same as I don't eat prime steak every day, some days I will eat beef burger if that makes more sense. :) P.
+1 to this. My expensive razors don't shave any better than my cheap razors but I love the design and craftsmanship that's gone in to them.

The fact that many quality DE Razors offer multiple plates, means it is far less necessary to buy large qtys of razors. You simply have the one Razor and swap plates to suite your mood and requirements. Much cheaper and less wasteful in the long run.

Back
Top Bottom