Why Do You Pick A New Soap

That’s interesting, wonder if it was Hibernia (citrus blend Lime , Lemon, Lemongrass, Sweet Orange and Lavender) - could be your skin doesn’t like Lemongrass judging by the fact that you seem ok with Orange, Lemon, and Lime? My cosmetic assessment limits the amount permissible for lemongrass.
Just had a quick look on my SOTD - seems like I was okay with Hibernia, however the one drying me out was Caledonia. I'm assuming it must be something to do with lime, since I tried lavender soaps and they're fine with me (DG - champs da lavande).
GFCC carribean lime seemed also to make my skin feel quite dry (Aqua, Stearic Acid, Myristic Acid, Potassium hydroxide, Coconut Acid, Glycerin, Triethanolamine, Parfum, Sodium hydroxide)

For me it varies, it can start with an idea in my mind and then I just buy soaps and see which one I like best..... Tabbaco and leather comes to mind. I'm still searching for new takes on those scents.
Another option is when I visit the actual shop and have a chance to have a sniff at soaps. When I visited Pasteur pharmacy in New York, I came back with too many soaps.
Also, purchases can be inspired by forum talk or Youtube ( if it fits what I know I might like).

Scent is the driving force.

Just had a quick look on my SOTD - seems like I was okay with Hibernia, however the one drying me out was Caledonia. I'm assuming it must be something to do with lime, since I tried lavender soaps and they're fine with me (DG - champs da lavande).
GFCC carribean lime seemed also to make my skin feel quite dry (Aqua, Stearic Acid, Myristic Acid, Potassium hydroxide, Coconut Acid, Glycerin, Triethanolamine, Parfum, Sodium hydroxide)
Makes sense, lime is quite astringent. That base seems fairly ok to me, but it’s all down to percent balance of ingredients.

For me it varies, it can start with an idea in my mind and then I just buy soaps and see which one I like best..... Tabbaco and leather comes to mind. I'm still searching for new takes on those scents.
Another option is when I visit the actual shop and have a chance to have a sniff at soaps. When I visited Pasteur pharmacy in New York, I came back with too many soaps.
Also, purchases can be inspired by forum talk or Youtube ( if it fits what I know I might like).

Scent is the driving force.
Have a try of
House Of Mammoth Almond Leather a truly stunning scent & a 8-9 / 10 on scent
and of course
The Rambler By Zingari Man has nice tobacco scents

This is noble and I respect what they're doing but it's also 5% of profits, not 5% total cost. 10p per soap assuming £2 profit? I don't know what the profit is on soap. Anyway, my point is you could buy some Tabac Mike and donate £5 to Mind ;) Great advice coming from a guy that regularly exercises zero self control.

I predominantly buy soap for retail therapy purposes. Particularly over the pandemic.
Sad but true Tabac is something i haven’t tried yet
i’m a non smoker and didn’t like the thought although i now realise the tobacco scent is nothing to do with smoking
I will give it a go
before i donate the £5 to you lol

I like a soap for its performance overall, the scent is a secondary requirement.
The non tallow soaps are getting better these days but if it's got tallow in it near the top of the ingredients list I will be more likely to buy it because I feel they offer the best performance, not always but most of the time, 75% of my soaps contain tallow.
I prefer to keep the scents simple or may even go for a unscented soap.
I have nothing against vegan soaps and would never rubbish them if they provide the same level of performance, as I've already said 25% of my soaps do not contain tallow.
Artwork on the tub does little to excite me, it's what's in the tub that matters to me however I can see the appeal the artwork holds for some of you.
We are as many and as diverse as the soaps that are out there so there should be something for everyone. :)

Paul.

I like a soap for its performance overall, the scent is a secondary requirement.
The non tallow soaps are getting better these days but if it's got tallow in it near the top of the ingredients list I will be more likely to buy it because I feel they offer the best performance, not always but most of the time, 75% of my soaps contain tallow.
I prefer to keep the scents simple or may even go for a unscented soap.
I have nothing against vegan soaps and would never rubbish them if they provide the same level of performance, as I've already said 25% of my soaps do not contain tallow.
Artwork on the tub does little to excite me, it's what's in the tub that matters to me however I can see the appeal the artwork holds for some of you.
We are as many and as diverse as the soaps that are out there so there should be something for everyone. :)

Paul.
Apparently Southern Witchcraft seem to get great performance reviews and they are vegan although iv yet to try one

Sad but true Tabac is something i haven’t tried yet
i’m a non smoker and didn’t like the thought although i now realise the tobacco scent is nothing to do with smoking
I will give it a go
before i donate the £5 to you lol

I wouldn't say Tabac smells much like Tobacco flower either. It's quite a difficult scent to evaluate, some seem to suggest it's more leather than anything else but it's kind of flowery at the same time.

It's quite strong when brand new, but the smell dissipates after it's open, and my stick now produces a lather that smells 'soapy' more than anything!

Great lather though.

1. Story behind the brand
2. Visual impact of packaging
3. Other's opinions/reviews
4. Cost
5. Scent

I left scent last as that is usually the last thing I'll find out, if not having the opportunity to sample first.
Point 5. will be the decisive factor of it being a keeper or not but the rest are what make me buying it in the first place.

Performance is everything

Story behind the brand ? Er, what a crock ! The product does the talking

Price is a factor for me - I flatly refuse to spend £50 on a soap, no matter how long it's claimed to last

Artwork on the lid ? - not important to me in the slightest, it can look good in SOTD photos, but it stops there, and VERY rarely has anything in common with the soap or it's scent - there is this one exception though . . .

My shave last night, with a not too expensive soap, Pre De Provence No63, was superb.
The lather was the creamiest I'd encountered and it has a 'classy' and understated label.

I wouldn't say Tabac smells much like Tobacco flower either. It's quite a difficult scent to evaluate, some seem to suggest it's more leather than anything else but it's kind of flowery at the same time.

It's quite strong when brand new, but the smell dissipates after it's open, and my stick now produces a lather that smells 'soapy' more than anything!

Great lather though.
Cheers
i’ll definitely need to give it a go
i can’t understand why i haven’t as it’s readily available

Performance is everything

Story behind the brand ? Er, what a crock ! The product does the talking

Price is a factor for me - I flatly refuse to spend £50 on a soap, no matter how long it's claimed to last

Artwork on the lid ? - not important to me in the slightest, it can look good in SOTD photos, but it stops there, and VERY rarely has anything in common with the soap or it's scent - there is this one exception though . . .

My shave last night, with a not too expensive soap, Pre De Provence No63, was superb.
The lather was the creamiest I'd encountered and it has a 'classy' and understated label.
How do you know about a performance unless you’ve tried it ?
unless your getting reviews you trust off course.
sometimes i buy soaps on a whim where i haven’t seen a review or read about one.
but i reckon the majority of artisans are going to give you good performance

I like a soap for its performance overall, the scent is a secondary requirement...

This +1.

As regards the scent of Tabac soap, think of this gal's handbag:

DrkLCen.jpg

Back
Top Bottom