Why did the cartridge razor come in to being?

As already said, the cartridge was developed out of pure profit motif. One of the strengths of the DE razor, from the consumer point of view, is that ANY DE blade will fit. In the hay day of the 50s & 60s, razors were engineered so well, that they would pretty much last a lifetime, barring dropping the darn things.

This meant that Gillette et all has just one chance to make money out of you. That's why all Gillette razors came with the message that only their blades worked best - they had no interest in you buying someone elses blade.

They simply had no way of preventing their consumers buying blades from other manufacturers.

There are a couple of modern analogies to that as well. Modern day ink printers try to hold on to their customers by developing specific replacement cartridges, and issuing dire warnings if you use a non 'branded' one. Of course, the market said stuff that for a game of smarties, and we bought 'copy' cartridges in their millions.

Also, until very recently, car manufacturers forced you to get your car serviced at their main stream dealership to keep your warranty intact.. This was subsequently outlawed and you can get your car serviced where you want.

Now, back to razors, Gillette had the idea of making a razor that only they could sell you the replacement 'blade'/cartridge, hence the disposable bespoke cartridge was developed. That tied the consumer into buying their product over & over again - pretty cool idea!

However, I believe when the patent time runs out, and anyone can produce a 'fusion' blade, Gillette will by then have developed a 10 x blade cartridge that the top sports guy of the time will endorse as no man would be complete without...

It's almost as if posters are saying Gillette were bad for wanting to make profits for their shareholders? They're a business, not a charity.

I'm happy enough to keep their Directors in mink slippers and gold cigars if they continue to improve their razors and offer men the very best shaving tools ever created.

Can't wait for the Gillette Fusion ProGlide FlexBall to hit the shelves.

Might even get one of the US posters to send me one early like they did when the ProGlide came out.

joe mcclaine said:
It's almost as if posters are saying Gillette were bad for wanting to make profits for their shareholders? They're a business, not a charity.

I hope I didn't come over as saying they were bad! I'm a fully paid up member of capitalism, love profit & the open, free market!

StephenShave said:
As already said, the cartridge was developed out of pure profit motif. One of the strengths of the DE razor, from the consumer point of view, is that ANY DE blade will fit. In the hay day of the 50s & 60s, razors were engineered so well, that they would pretty much last a lifetime, barring dropping the darn things.

This meant that Gillette et all has just one chance to make money out of you. That's why all Gillette razors came with the message that only their blades worked best - they had no interest in you buying someone elses blade.

They simply had no way of preventing their consumers buying blades from other manufacturers.

There are a couple of modern analogies to that as well. Modern day ink printers try to hold on to their customers by developing specific replacement cartridges, and issuing dire warnings if you use a non 'branded' one. Of course, the market said stuff that for a game of smarties, and we bought 'copy' cartridges in their millions.

Also, until very recently, car manufacturers forced you to get your car serviced at their main stream dealership to keep your warranty intact.. This was subsequently outlawed and you can get your car serviced where you want.

Now, back to razors, Gillette had the idea of making a razor that only they could sell you the replacement 'blade'/cartridge, hence the disposable bespoke cartridge was developed. That tied the consumer into buying their product over & over again - pretty cool idea!

However, I believe when the patent time runs out, and anyone can produce a 'fusion' blade, Gillette will by then have developed a 10 x blade cartridge that the top sports guy of the time will endorse as no man would be complete without...

You are off on one count.

Certain razor makers made their razors in such a way that they would only take their own blades, they also made sure though that their blades would fit other brands

Al H said:

Certain razor makers made their razors in such a way that they would only take their own blades, they also made sure though that their blades would fit other brands

I'm curious - which maker made a DE blade that would only fit their own razor, but also fit other manufactures as well?

StephenShave said:
Al H said:

I'm curious - which maker made a DE blade that would only fit their own razor, but also fit other manufactures as well?

Wardonia?

joe mcclaine said:

I'm happy enough to keep their Directors in mink slipperso make a profit and com and gold cigars if they continue to improve their razors and offer men the very best shaving tools ever created.

Can't wait for the Gillette Fusion ProGlide FlexBall to hit the shelves.

Might even get one of the US posters to send me one early like they did when the ProGlide came out.

Or that Gillette, Shick, etc. decided to make a profit and consumers had no choice but to but cartridge razors. The reason they made a profit was that they were quicker, safer, and easier.

StephenShave said:
Al H said:

Cooper.

I've got a puck.

It's actually genius to attempt that in the 30s

The cartridge razor has the success it has today because of two reasons:

1. They make a large to huge profit to the invetor/manufacturer - DE blades don't
2. Cartridge razors don't take a lurning curve, they are very hard to cut yourself with, they are faster and - for most people - more efficient in fewer passes.

I personally need at least 2 passes and touch up to get a BBS with all my 50 DE razors - even the R41 from MÜHLE. And I usually get a small cut with that, even after 2 years of practice

I need 1 pass and touch up with my Fusion to get a BBS - even on 3-4 days of growth. I very very rarely cut myself with a Fusion cart - maybe once in 50 shaves.
Yes, Fusion carts do tend to give me an ingrown hair or two, DE razors don't at all.

Back
Top Bottom