Why are there different varieties of Alum blocks?

or.... dissolve them in warm water.....

hang a cotton thread over the centre of the jam jar with the solution.....

.... and watch the crystals re-grow after a few days.
Pretty crystals. :icon_razz:

Rod

Oh yes... I remembered why I opened this thread.

Alum blocks from shaving suppliers = expensive

Try this place

Big one £5.60
Small one £3.55 (still bigger than the ones from shaving suppliers)

Rod

Neep said:

Agree with the dissolving them but to get proper big crystals you need to keep the temperature and humidity high for a relatively long period of time and gradually lower it over many months or years! That way the crystals will grow slowly as oppose to forming lots of tiny brittle ones :D...Impractical but i'm sure someone with a lot of money and too much time could give it a go, :p

Have a look at this baby! She's a beauty of a crystal! :p
article-1081072-02464596000005DC-280_636x944.jpg

new2DE said:
Neep said:

Agree with the dissolving them but to get proper big crystals you need to keep the temperature and humidity high for a relatively long period of time and gradually lower it over many months or years! That way the crystals will grow slowly as oppose to forming lots of tiny brittle ones :D...Impractical but i'm sure someone with a lot of money and too much time could give it a go, :p

Have a look at this baby! She's a beauty of a crystal! :p
article-1081072-02464596000005DC-280_636x944.jpg

Now that would last for ever. :icon_razz::icon_razz::icon_razz:

man of leisure said:
Now that would last for ever. :icon_razz::icon_razz::icon_razz:

Look at that guys intense gaze. I bet he's thinking what we're all thinking: Now a crystal like that would make a kickarse Alum block! :p

Canuck said:
... they make the perfect deo stick.

Damn right. All men need to know about this. One small part of my life has been near perfect since I bought an alum block fashioned like a deodorant roll-on. I haven't tested it in summer yet though.

For shaving I use an Osma block. Not cheap, but it's a good size for holding against the face, it comes in a nice waxy box that keeps well in the bathroom, and I don't begrudge the price given it will last a long time and perform a valuable service nearly every day.

I bought 3 of the Razorocks when they were up for sale and use one of them everyday for deo and weepers. I still am only about 1/2 way down the stick. I still have a block but have not used it since I got the Razorock..........:icon_razz:

nosedog said:
Canuck said:
... they make the perfect deo stick.

Damn right. All men need to know about this. One small part of my life has been near perfect since I bought an alum block fashioned like a deodorant roll-on. I haven't tested it in summer yet though.

For shaving I use an Osma block. Not cheap, but it's a good size for holding against the face, it comes in a nice waxy box that keeps well in the bathroom, and I don't begrudge the price given it will last a long time and perform a valuable service nearly every day.
hiya,

what do you mean when you say you use it as a deoblock? Like armpit rollons? Can you explain it to me please? :)

new2DE said:
what do you mean when you say you use it as a deoblock? Like armpit rollons? Can you explain it to me please? :)

Spot on. Just wet it and rub under your pits. Then you have a deodorant that is odourless and therefore doesn't overpower the scent of any aftershave/cologne/edt you are wearing.

Hax said:
new2DE said:

Spot on. Just wet it and rub under your pits. Then you have a deodorant that is odourless and therefore doesn't overpower the scent of any aftershave/cologne/edt you are wearing.

i'll give it a go :). A friend was telling me that it blocks the pores so water comes out from other places. Do you know what he was on about and is that really a bad thing if your pits stay water free? I mean I wouldn't mind if more water came from my arms as opposed to my pits as pits smell more. What do you think? :)

new2DE said:
hiya,

You use it exactly like an armpit roll on, but there's no residue or smell and there's no stains on your shirts. It's like you're not wearing any deodorant.

Alum naturally kills bacteria, so when you rub a block in your pits it leaves an odourless, non-detectable thin film that stops any bacteria forming.
It doesn't stop you sweating so it's not like an anti perspirant, but it stops you smelling.

Biggest difference I've noticed is that I don't get those horrible crusty patches around the pits on my new work shirts.

I was using bloc Osma for quite a while but now I've got a couple of those Allume Di Rocca ones from Connaught, they're shaped just like a roll on and they're cheaper.

Hax said:
new2DE said:

Don't forget they last for ages. I have been using mine for over a year so works out a lot cheaper than antiperspirents. Not even made a dent in it yet, should last another year at least. Even SWMBO uses it as well.

Back
Top Bottom