Who's afraid of Virginia Woolfat?

Okay, let's update the batch codes list:

8287 [purchased Summer 2020] - Dud ... absolutely incapable of a stable lather
8345 [purchased October 2020] - Good
9027 [purchased September 2022] - Okay, but not up to usual standard
9029 [purchaed December 2022] - Good bought under the Kent brand

Why doesn't one of the local Brit posters drop in on them at the factory and ask some pointed questions? :unsure:

It may not be the soap so much as new shavers not being able to lather MWF, that has been the rap against it for years from people who first use the soap and I have been on the forums since 2008. Same old complaint, " I can't lather MWF" lol.

One way to check the puck versus lathering technique. Mill the puck into an airtight container. A milled moist and soft puck may make lathering the puck very different and more effective. It's an experiment worth doing if there is difficulty lathering the puck. My MWF soap container is in the attic, I keep my puck in a used plastic shaving tub.

Too Mantic's video on MWF is excellent and it's very much worth incorporating his tips in using MWF as a check against how one usually lathers a soap. I first saw the video many years ago and it's my main reference to MWF.

Last edited:
I have a simple question regarding MWF storage between shaves. I don't have a fancy schmancy ceramic storage bowl and put my puck/tablet in an empty plastic container just slightly larger than the soap. Regardless, I have been removing the puck to air dry between shaves and yet still have gigantic cracks in the puck which I understand to be normal. Where I live I fear mold as it is so humid here and am reluctant to leave it in the plastic tub steeping in water which I hope doesn't become a septic "stew".

Feedback from the MWF wizards? :unsure:

I have a simple question regarding MWF storage between shaves. I don't have a fancy schmancy ceramic storage bowl and put my puck/tablet in an empty plastic container just slightly larger than the soap. Regardless, I have been removing the puck to air dry between shaves and yet still have gigantic cracks in the puck which I understand to be normal. Where I live I fear mold as it is so humid here and am reluctant to leave it in the plastic tub steeping in water which I hope doesn't become a septic "stew".

I would say that the cracking of Mitchell's Wool Fat is a "trade mark" of the soap...No problem with cracking. It is the ingredients that cause this phenomenon I assume.

Just my honest guess, probably some hard/tripled milled soap If you store them and not use them for a long period of time crack's will appear. It needs to be put into your soap rotation more often. Some people water the soap, and soak the puck to regain it's moisture before mixing a lather. I personally thinks this is a load of nonsense. i just load it up with a damp brush, and always get good results. Having too much soaps isn't always a good thing.. One of the main reason's i don't have a large amount of shaving soaps or creams.

Last edited:

Stop being a melt, man! I thought you Texas boys were tough? Let that sucker crack and dry then tupperware* it like you would your body parts, rifle lube or corndogs.

*Tupperware is a UK brand name for a high quality selection of airtight containers that can meet all your needs. This post is neither affiliated with or sponsored by Tupperware(TM)

Stop being a melt, man! I thought you Texas boys were tough? Let that sucker crack and dry then tupperware* it like you would your body parts, rifle lube or corndogs.

*Tupperware is a UK brand name for a high quality selection of airtight containers that can meet all your needs. This post is neither affiliated with or sponsored by Tupperware(TM)

Coming soon to the Emporium....

Tupperware!

Back
Top Bottom