Who's afraid of Virginia Woolfat?

MWF is a great soap. I got well over a year of daily shaving out of a tub. It's rich and creamy and gives a smooth shave. What's not to like. Going to order some more.

Although I have more soap than I can possibly use before I die MWF is still great soap.

MWF is a great soap. I got well over a year of daily shaving out of a tub. It's rich and creamy and gives a smooth shave. What's not to like. Going to order some more.

When you do, would you mind using it straight away and letting us know if it worked? The point of this thread is (now) to understand when MWF gets back to normal.

If you've jumped in mid-thread, please read from the top. MWF has changed and sometime early this year, suppliers were stocked with a dud batch (we hope) or worse, a reformulated product. Depending where folks buy from depends how old a stock they are getting. The old stock is good. We know that - this thread is not yet another debate about who can and who can't lather the Fat. Hopefully new stock will prove to be good once again, but suffice to say, stockists with a good throughput between about February to date are now selling pucks which are not good.

... so, to repeat: rather than tucking your new stock away for future (where, forgotten in a few years you'll find it utterly disappointing), please do try it as soon as it arrives and let us know where it came from and whether it's what you expected.

When you do, would you mind using it straight away and letting us know if it worked? The point of this thread is (now) to understand when MWF gets back to normal.

If you've jumped in mid-thread, please read from the top. MWF has changed and sometime early this year, suppliers were stocked with a dud batch (we hope) or worse, a reformulated product. Depending where folks buy from depends how old a stock they are getting. The old stock is good. We know that - this thread is not yet another debate about who can and who can't lather the Fat. Hopefully new stock will prove to be good once again, but suffice to say, stockists with a good throughput between about February to date are now selling pucks which are not good.

... so, to repeat: rather than tucking your new stock away for future (where, forgotten in a few years you'll find it utterly disappointing), please do try it as soon as it arrives and let us know where it came from and whether it's what you expected.

Oh right, if that's the case I'm going to hold off getting some more then.
Edit: I am weak just ordered some, will use as soon as it arrives and let you know how it goes on this thread.

Last edited:
MWF is legendary, and I must say it is slick and I found it easy to create a shaving lather. The only problem was that I was getting very itchy red skin after shaving with it -the lanolin was causing an allergic reaction. So i binned the Fat.

Bought mine March or April 2020 from connaught. It was in the wooden bowl. Couldn't make it work no matter what I did so ended up binning it. Had a sample of Kent soap which lathered no problem and was brilliant.

Bought mine March or April 2020 from connaught. It was in the wooden bowl. Couldn't make it work no matter what I did so ended up binning it. Had a sample of Kent soap which lathered no problem and was brilliant.

Not looking good for me then.

Kent appears to be a slower-moving brand than straight MWF. Chances are you can pick up an older batch under the Kent brand.
Yeah, that's the main reason I went for the Kent branded soap. I've been checking out a US based forum, similar discussions going on over there, also seems to be around the same time period.

I've genuinely got enough to keep me going for years so won't be in any hurry to buy another puck of fat or Kent. Not saying I wouldn't if they sorted out the issues they're clearly having.

Received MWF today and had a shave straight away. 2 days growth. I normally shave after a shower but today just a face wash.
I did not have a bowl to put it in so I just rubbed it on wet face, used a damp cheap Wilkinson sword brush and built up a creamy lather
Then waited to see if it would dissappear.
It started to look a wee bit bubbly after a few minutes, but I normally would have been finished by then so I reworked it with brush
Then shaved, to me it seems to be as good as I remember so no problems here. Smooth and creamy with great face feel after.
Ps found a code on the box, not sure if it's a batch code or what but it's 008345. So if people that are having trouble can match codes up that will give us a clue as to what is going on.
So in conclusion it's still good, for me anyway. :cool: :)

Received MWF today and had a shave straight away. 2 days growth.

Ps found a code on the box, not sure if it's a batch code or what but it's 008345. So if people that are having trouble can match codes up that will give us a clue as to what is going on.
So in conclusion it's still good, for me anyway. :cool: :)

Where was the code?

Where did you purchase yours from?

I emailed Connaught a few days ago, asking if he could question mitchells quality control. I got this reply today.

Not really, & I would need several reports before I could contact them. Mitchell's is a very popular & made in batches of around 10,000 soaps.

Back
Top Bottom