Who likes sailing?

Any sailors here?
I love dinghy sailing and in the last 15 years have owned the following (or in some cases parents have owned).
Mirror (Red Dwarf)
Miracle (Club boat)
GP14 (Hernia)
Laser (Excelsior)
Laser (Kaiten)
Merlin Rocket (Waveblade)
Lark (Torri Gwynt)

I've sailed plenty of other boats.

My favourites were probably the Mirror Miracle and Merlin. My best results were in the GP14 and the Lark. The lasers tried to kill me several times hence naming the second one Kaiten (WW2 Japanese suicide torpedo).

A good friend of mine sails at a local club. It sounds good fun and I'd love to have a go one day.
As long as it's warm out and not too windy. :lol:

Pete

philamac said:
Flatfish said:
. The lasers tried to kill me several times hence naming the second one Kaiten (WW2 Japanese suicide torpedo).

Love it :lol:

I was not really heavy enough for the laser. Frequently whilst screaming downwind approaching a turning mark in a ball of spray I would just push the rudder across and then hold tight to the boat with both hands duck my head so that the risk of injury in the inevitable disaster was less.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2qBxax-W1Y&feature=related">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2qBxax- ... re=related</a><!-- m -->
In the above clip you can see what screaming downwind in a laser looks like. The sailor in the clip appears to be in control (sort of). I probably appeared the same but was generally not in control and capsizes were frequent. I've sailed faster boats than Lasers and found them much easier to sail than the laser.

Overlooking the Solent, I should be a sailor. I spent one day in a boat. Sailed from Lymington to Alum Bay on a beautiful calm morning. Moored. Lunched. Relaxed. Great! Then the wind really got up and we sailed back. I thought it was certain death, just hung on for dear life. My experienced sailing friends loved it. I've never sailed again.

I'm a great sailing fan but clearly a whimp in a boat. Ben Ainsley is a regular in our Lymington coffee shop.

Back
Top Bottom