Whisk(e)y for beginners.....

When I was at the Jameson tour in Dublin got talking to one of the employees and he was saying the sherry casks are being supported by Diagio and that only 30% of what was made was being drank, if they don't have the casks you don't get the whiskey.
As its St Patricks day having a few pints of Guinness and some Jameson Caskmates.

Tried a Talisker Skye miniature tonight. Needed some water and still found it a bit rough. Don't think I would buy a bottle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is the 10yo smoother? I tried a Lagavulin and I think I preferred that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately I've never understood what people mean by “smooth” so I can't say. What I can tell you is that the 10 year old has a more balanced and complex flavour than the Storm. Lagavulin is the whisky I'd choose if I could only have one, it's my favourite.

Pre-Christmas question / recommendation...

Really interested in an introduction to Irish whiskey, and I see Bushmills is nice and cheap. The original just being £15 in Asda. For the price worth the upgrade to the 10 year old or the Black?

As someone who used to live about 30min from the Distillery and has been on a few tours....... I have tried most of them. My recommendation would be at a minimum Black Bush. The 10yr Single Malt is even nicer.....but if you want to push the boat out a little more...go for the 12 year Distillery Reserve. It is the only whiskey they sell mail order and is only available from the Distillery. Lovely stuff! I was over in August with my (now) wife and we had the label printed there to mark our special occasion.

Thank you Brian. Love that label!!!! I'll have a look. What a love;y thought with the label.

Reviving this thread, I have a few favourites such as Black Bushmills, and malts from Bowmore and Highland Park, but I think the best education is to be had in a Scottish bar, where the range and variety is breathtaking.

Yup. Let your palate decide. Smoky? Briney? Peaty? or smooth and sherried? Generally speaking, the Island malts have (naturally) a more maritime saltiness. Islay ones can be predominantly peaty; although there are notable exceptions. Speyside tends to produce sherried ones (but there are peaty exceptions). The largest variety can be found in the Highland region.

Have fun. Personally, I veer from extreme to extreme: Bruichladdich Port Charlotte 10 for a heavy peat hit; or Glenfarclas 15 for opulent, fruity grannie’s Sherry Christmas cake.