Whisk(e)y for beginners.....

Good read:

http://www.gobourbon.com/using-oak-barrels-to-age-whiskey/

I visited the Glendronach distillery a few years back, they had a cask of 21 year old that had been selected by the distillery manager that you could bottle yourself (at cask strength) for £120 a bottle. They also had for sale what seemed by the description to be the same thing but in a fancier bottle and a wooden case that was £1500. I asked one of the ladies in the shop what the extra nearly £1400 was paying for and she looked around before whispering "Largely packaging, marketing and bullshit."

So, how much did you pay for the swan dive into the cask?

No picture supplied...but if the label is white gold and orange it is!
Coincidentally; tried a Bushmills 10 year old single malt at my father in laws this evening. Yum yum. Not tried the originally (yet) - very impressed with the 10 year old. Plus the first whisky I have tried where the bottle had a cork

Coincidentally; tried a Bushmills 10 year old single malt at my father in laws this evening. Yum yum. Not tried the originally (yet) - very impressed with the 10 year old. Plus the first whisky I have tried where the bottle had a cork
I seldom drink the original....its difficult to find any now that I live in Wales...but if you can find them.....the Black Bushmills is nice as well as the 10 year malt. hey also do other more exclusive Malts some only available from the Distillery. I am getting married during the summer in NI and Chrissie and I are going to visit the distillery and get a special one with a custom label!

What a grand thing to do after your wedding!

Took your advice Rob; bought a bottle of Aberlour 10 from Sainsbury's for £24 yesterday. My first single malt scotch. Much nicer than anything else I've tried. Lovely smell - may be it's the sherry cask.

Richard

Took your advice Rob; bought a bottle of Aberlour 10 from Sainsbury's for £24 yesterday. My first single malt scotch. Much nicer than anything else I've tried. Lovely smell - may be it's the sherry cask.

Richard

Speyside malts like Aberlour are usually matured in ex-sherry butts from the Spanish sherry industry, so not only does the original content of the cask influence the malt, but so, to a lesser extent, does the type of oak - it's European oak (Quercus robur) rather than the American white oak (Quercus alba) used by most malt whisky producers which originally came from Bourbon distilleries in the US. Not only that, but, where the Bourbon distillers heavily char the interior of the casks prior to using them to mature their grain spirit, the Spanish sherry producers only slowly toast the interior of their larger sherry butts, plus, the surface area:volume ratio with a large barrel is less than with a small cask, so the influence of the wood takes longer to have an effect for a whisky matured in an ex-sherry butt than it does in a smaller ex-Bourbon cask.

Last edited:
Thank you sir. Trying to absorb all this knowledge. Next trick learning the tastes.

See 11 minutes in to the following video:

Richard

Thanks for the update Richard. Glad you enjoyed it...it's slippery slope.