Which Side to Strop on ?

Hi Guys

This question is probably aimed at Neil but perhaps anyone can answer, i am a week or so into straight shaving and it is going well. I just have one question regarding the strop. I have one of Neils hard mexican latigo strops and it has two surfaces,one which is smooth like a leather belt, the other side is a bit coarser. Which side should I be using, have been using the smooth side up til now but the surface is slighlty curved so the blade doesn't sit flat when stropping whereas it sits flat on the coarser side. Perhaps i'm being a nupty but if someone could clarify i'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Justin.

That's correct Justin - the smooth side. The hard latigo takes a good while to break in. The slight curve can be alleviated by using your fingers to gently bend the leather (don't crease it) in the desired direction, though why the razor should sit flat on one side and not the other is a bit of a mystery! I can't remember whether your strop has a knotted thong to hang it by - if it has you could try the knot on the other side to see if that pulls it into shape. Try not to pull too hard on the strop - just taut enough to prevent it from being sloppy, but a little bit of 'give' is normal. If you are pulling too hard the knot may be pushing the leather up on one side.

Regards,
Neil

Back
Top Bottom