Which should I choose, newbie.

They come with white or black dispensers.

Wilkinson-Sword-Classic-Double-Edge-Razor-Blades.jpg

Brill! It is a light razor, so be mindful of this while shaving and keep your touch feather-light. That said, since it's your first DE you'll have no point of comparison and will not doubt find everything else too damn heavy :LOL:

If you were chomping at the bit, you could bob down to Sainsbury and pick up a pack of Wilkinson Sword blades (usually in a plastic case). These are damn good! Very sharp, and so will make your feather-light strokes count.

For the first few goes, don't think it wrong to use this for the easy parts of your face and switch over to the cartridge to get around the complex bits where cuts and scratches are not a lot of fun.

Welcome to traditional shaving ...

Have a lot of fun!
Hopefully the blades I've ordered should be with me in the next couple of days along with the brush. The blades I've ordered are in the photo, is there a particular one you'd recommend to start with?

I knew the handle was short but was a little surprised just how short when compared to the usual cartridge razor, I'm sure I'll get used to it though.
It does feel light but fairly well balanced in the hand.Screenshot_20220322-184743_eBay.jpg

Hopefully the blades I've ordered should be with me in the next couple of days along with the brush. The blades I've ordered are in the photo, is there a particular one you'd recommend to start with?

I knew the handle was short but was a little surprised just how short when compared to the usual cartridge razor, I'm sure I'll get used to it though.
It does feel light but fairly well balanced in the hand.View attachment 85915
Personally I’d use the Astra SP. They are my go to everyday blade with a new razor. Not as sharp as some but do the job nicely every time, a good starter blade. Some swear by the Gillettes you have but they aren’t a favourite of mine. The Nacet however are great but a little sharper.

Personally I’d use the Astra SP. They are my go to everyday blade with a new razor. Not as sharp as some but do the job nicely every time, a good starter blade. Some swear by the Gillettes you have but they aren’t a favourite of mine. The Nacet however are great but a little sharper.
Nice one Lee, ill give the Astra a go then, hopefully not to much claret will be spilled

@rockhopper353 - welcome to the world of DE shaving; I hope you have a good time.

Some great tips here; the Gillette Tech looks lovely!

May I recommend looking at Youtube for DE shaving tutorials; I found the videos from @mantic59 excellent - they helped me out no end. Once I got my head round no pressure, shave to reduce stubble each pass and the angle, all was good :).

For what it's worth, I love the Rockwell 6S - I have never shaved with the 6C and can't say what it's like. The 34C is also a great razor, in my humble opinion, it's well worth a look.

All the best,

Chris

It does feel light but fairly well balanced in the hand.View attachment 85915
Start with the pack that you like the look of best ...

I don't mean to be flippant there and certainly don't mean to suggest that they're all the same as you have a good spread incoming. This is now down to what YOU like and you'll only find that out by trying them out. No reason not to start with any of them and no reason to put any of them aside thinking them too sharp or too advanced.

I think the most important thing for someone new to this is to be mindful while you are shaving. Keep your touch light and let the blade do what it does ... cut hair with its sharp edge. If it feels to be struggling, just adjust the angle slightly. Even just a little too much pressure can turn a delightfully sharp blade into a harsh nightmare and a wrong angle can lead you to thinking you have to press harder. Many beginners lead the razor by the guard, but the guard is there to stop you beaching the blade into your face. Lead the razor from the cap and angle the handle down until the blade just catches - that's the angle.

This is now YOUR journey.

Start with Astra & Nacet.

Astra first because it's reasonably mild.

Nacet to compare the Astra to a sharp blade (it's one of the sharpest). If you have very coarse hair a sharper blade might feel a little smoother. A heavier razor can help there too.

Don't press the razor hard into your skin: a light touch is all you need.

Had my first shave this morning and used the Nacet blade.

Overall, the shave was pretty good, I did 2 passes and got a pretty smooth finish.

I used palmolive cream from a tube in a bowl with yaqi sagrada familia brush. I think I probably had the finished cream a little dry to shave with, I'll add a little more water next time.

At times the shave felt smooth but I reckon at times I had the angle of the blade wrong (especially under the chin) as it felt harsher and struggled a little removing stubble.

Enjoyed using the Gillette tech razor and don't see myself going back to a cartridge, just got to see how I get on with a head shave!

Back
Top Bottom