Which should I choose, newbie.

Hi, getting my first DE razor after 30 odd years of using cartridge razors.

Trying to decide between the Muhle r89 or a vintage Gillette tech razor to get me started.
Any pointers as to which would be better would be appreciated.

What’s your budget mate ?
Gillette Tech for sure.
Edwin Jagger DE 89
Feather AS-D2
and my personal favourite
Rockwell 6s
All mild razors
Budget isn't to restrictive, getting the right razor is what what counts.

Do you prefer all of those you mention over the Muhle and what is it about the Rockwell over and above the others?

What’s your budget mate ?
Gillette Tech for sure.
Edwin Jagger DE 89
Feather AS-D2
and my personal favourite
Rockwell 6s
You won’t go wrong with any of the above. I didn’t listen and bought way too many, way too quickly. I also bought a few adjustables and bar the Pearl Flexi and Rockwell 6s didn’t get on with them as it was way to early for me to get to grips with them.

Do you prefer all of those you mention over the Muhle and what is it about the Rockwell over and above the others?
The Edwin Jagger and Muhle are effectively the same thing, they have the same heads on them. The main difference is that the thread on the Muhle is brass while the Edwin Jagger is zamak (a chromed alloy), so the Muhle should last longer.

The Rockwell is stainless steel and offers some adjustment if you need it, so it's more of a 'buy it for life' type razor. It's almost 3 times the price of a nice Tech or the Muhle though.

Don't overthink it. Any of those recommended will do the job and you'll probably get as many different razor recommendations as there are active members :)

I haven’t tried Muhle and yes i prefer the Rockwell.
The 6s is adjustable with different plates,
you’ll find your preferred plate in no time.
The feather is also class but double the price of the rockwell

If you purchase the Muhle R89 (it has a brass centre post, the almost identical Edwin Jagger DE89 does not) and the Gillette Tech (one of the heavies such as the English Flat Bottom), you will have, arguably, two of the best "everyman" DE razors ever made. Get both if budget allows, otherwise either one, will serve you well, if you take the time to learn how to get the best out of it.

As a newbie of 6mths DE experience, I would heartily recommend the Rockwell 6, I chose the S but the C, by all accounts is just as good. It is my recommendation because the smaller blade gaps of the lower number plates are more forgiving to user error. I had many uncomfortable shaves using The EJDE89, Feather AS D2 and the R6 until I had developed a reasonable technique using the R6 with a No2 plate.

As your technique improves you will be able the use the higher No. plates to find your comfort limit.

I went from the Gillette Fusion Power to a Executive Shaving Co. Claymore Evolution. You can also buy them from Alpha Shaving or Shave Nation. Anyway, I really like the single edge Artist Club blades.... you don't have too many choices of blades, which works for me. It's a very intuitive razor and if you start out with the Feather ProSoft guard blades... it will be a mild shave. You can make it more efficient with a simple blade change.

Anyway, that's my two cents. Take a look at the YouTube Executive Shaving page... Pick the longest Claymore Evolution video. It will explain the shave.. and how the Claymore Evolution came to be. Brian Mulreany from ESC is the one who recommended the Claymore Evo to me. It's his personal razor now and he owns some very expensive razors from which to choose.

Welcome to TSR!

The 'which one' question is always a chaotic one. We all have differing opinions and what works for some may not work for others.

I'm guessing you've arrived at the Tech and R89 from your own research? They're both good options. As mentioned previously the, Edwin Jagger 89 head is the same as the Mühle. I recently used my EJ89 again after a few years of storage. I thoroughly enjoyed it - great razor. That doesn't mean it will work for you although there's a high probably it will. The Tech is also a great razor with a lot of history.

Whatever you get, remember that your first few shaves will be disappointing. The issue lays with you, not the the razor. It takes time to learn the skill but you'll get there. Sticking with one razor and the same soap/cream will help you nail your technique quicker. You don't need to spend more than £30 on a razor that will give you excellent shaves for a long time. Here's a good UK source of Proraso products. Their soaps, creams and aftershaves perform well above their price point:

It's worthwhile getting a sample of blades to try but again, don't go too wild on the selection.

Back
Top Bottom