Which adjustable?

So I have contracted RAD, I have the standards, EJ89, Merkur HD, Slant, Gillette old and new & couple of fleaBay no named things but not one adjustable.

So which one?

I have changed my stance on vintage razors, I didn't see the point when I started but now I quite like the thought of using something that is older than I (26)

There seem to be a couple of old Gillettes knocking around that seem popular. The only others I fancy is a megress/progress. I don't like the look of the Future as it seems large and clumpy.

I'm not aware of any others but any suggestions welcome.

What do you guys use and like about yours?

Andy

I like the Fatboy the best.
Its quite a heavy razor, and you can use it with ZERO pressure on your skin.

Best to buy one from one of the forum folks who regularly sell razors here, rather than take the chance with Ebay.

Rod

Most people will give different reasons for each razor, for me the Fatboy is not a favourite.
My advise would be get a shaver grade Slim, that way if you find you don't like it you have not shelled out too much cash.
If you are looking to buy an adjustable contact Frenchblade or Sunburyboy they often have them for sale and at least you know you will get a good one at the right money.

Depends on the razor Fritz but the modern ones at least are *very* adjustable, from a mild shave (like a Tech) to a really aggressive gap. Not comparable to a slant IMO as that's a wholly different action.

Anthony (SirPrize) very kindly piffed a Merkur Progress to me at the London meet, would you like to try it? It has a slight fault where the base plate separates from the handle on disassembly, but it still works perfectly.
I'm sure Anthony will be happy for someone else to try it, if you don't like it you can just return it to me and it can rejoin the collection.

Fitz Linson said:
Cheers,

How adjustable are adjustables? is it like swapping from a EJ89 to a slant in one razor, or does it take a mild blade and make it more 'agressive'?

On the above Gillettes the settings range from 1 (least aggressive) to 9 (most aggressive). Most recommend starting on a 4 and seeing how you go from there.

So you have a wide range of settings to play with.

Gillette Slim is a very nice wee razor, as demonstrated by how many on the Forum recommend it. They're also well made (like so many other razors of yesteryear) evidenced by the number & comparitively low cost which are still around & in use.
For me the Merkur Progress & Mergress (I've owned both) have the potential to be more aggresive than the Slim, if they're dialled up. How aggresive (potentially) you'll need the razor to be I leave up to yourself. Hope you find something to suit.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

Canuck said:
Depends on the razor Fritz but the modern ones at least are *very* adjustable, from a mild shave (like a Tech) to a really aggressive gap. Not comparable to a slant IMO as that's a wholly different action.

Anthony (SirPrize) very kindly piffed a Merkur Progress to me at the London meet, would you like to try it? It has a slight fault where the base plate separates from the handle on disassembly, but it still works perfectly.
I'm sure Anthony will be happy for someone else to try it, if you don't like it you can just return it to me and it can rejoin the collection.

How can I say no?!

Thats really generous, provided that the owner doesn't mind I would love to.

Andy

^^ It was my understanding from Anthony that he no longer wants it at all hence why he was piffing it on the day. He just wanted to know that it would find a good home, or at least be passed around for people to try.

PM an address and it's on the way.

The Merkur futur vision is fantastic. It weighs alot, but you let the weight of the razor help you shave. I wouldn't rule it out just yet, you do need to adapt to the size but after a few shaves you get used to it.

Back
Top Bottom