When your cheapest cream embarrasses everything else...

Last year on business in India I picked up some Yardley Elegance shaving cream (with Silicone!). I don't remember what it cost (3 quid maybe - it's the one in the black and blue box), but I had some great shaves there with my Slim and the Yardley. After that trip I put it to the back of my soaps and carried on with some Mitchell's Wool Fat, Proraso Green, Cella, and more recently some slightly spendy Italian croap from Connaughts. I subconsciously thought that those great shaves in India were down to the Slim (it couldn't be the cheap soap, could it?). Alas, today I face lathered some of the Yardley and damn if it didn't perform just as well as anything I've tried recently. Easy to lather, lubricating, everything you'd want. I do wonder about the tricks our minds play on us sometimes.

I was impressed by Rilanja back in 2008. It was the private label of drugstore chain Schlecker which went into bankruptcy in 2012.

1052999.jpg

Photo from Google

Last edited:
Everyone mentions performances which is fine but for me, equally important or perhaps even more so is scent, what are scents like?

After years of wet shaving I've become more selective in what software I buy. Simply, a cheap good performer doesn't excite me enough to buy it.... I probably have more than 40 or 50 soaps and only 10 of them get visited on a regular basis so it has to be something special for me to want to buy it.

Reactions: ATG
Everyone mentions performances which is fine but for me, equally important or perhaps even more so is scent, what are scents like?

After years of wet shaving I've become more selective in what software I buy. Simply, a cheap good performer doesn't excite me enough to buy it.... I probably have more than 40 or 50 soaps and only 10 of them get visited on a regular basis so it has to be something special for me to want to buy it.
I am very selective, it has to be very special to be added to the 400 soaps or creams I already have.

I just added the award winning Murdock cream.

Sabre,

Thanks for the heads up on Wars. I really like it.

When time allows please advise what you think of the Murdock cream.

Best,

Ben
Well it's actually sealed, but I couldn't resist opening. It's absolutely gooey, looked like something you could eat. I will probably give it a go this weekend because one, I am curious and two, the seal makes me think it should be used quite quickly.

Back
Top Bottom