When shaving cream isn't available, what have you done to replace it?

Coconut oil from the kitchen cupboard works, as does olive oil...

Are you serious?

Have you actually tried coconut oil?

I put some on my face shortly after shaving and my face burned like heck.

I read an article that recommended using coconut oil as an aftershave. Puzzled, I looked at the byline: It was written by a woman.

Straight coconut oil is about half lauric acid, a common ingredient in soap (real soap). Some soaps are too caustic to shave with, or have ingredients that contribute to razor burn.

But there are some that, in my experience, are satisfactory substitutes for shaving soap, such as Yardley.

As to olive oil, I have never tried shaving with it, but the shaving soaps I have tried that contained olive oil were terrible. They did not create decent lather, the main reason being the olive oil.

Actually, if I didn't have any shaving cream, I have always thought a can of aerosol whipped cream would be a brilliant substitute. Never quite gotten around to trying it, though.

Have used bar soap or shower gel many times in the past with cartridge razors.

Coconut anything is generally good for your hair, but probably not so good for shaving with.

I tried King of Shaves shaving oil with carts once. Bad. Instant clog. Stupidly I tried it with a straight razor once too, even worse. Too sticky. Can only imagine that oil not intended for shaving must be worse.

However I have some bath creme (what I would call bubble bath) with coconut and shea butter. It's an OK preshave. I would not try actually shaving with it though.

I shaved for years with Wrights coal tar soap bars, a cheap Kent boar brush and a Gillette Sensor with a purty TOBS wooden handle. One pass and touch ups gave fine results but by the end of the week, I’d often be wearing the red moustache of shame as I’d be stretching the life of the damn cart too far. Ahh, my peasant ways of yore…

Back then I had nothing and no-one to teach or show me anything different so I made it up as I went along. Wait, you can still actually buy proper soap and cream dedicated for shaving with a brush? That’s a thing? Really? Excellent.

Got some good advice from a wood carving buddy (RIP Ian), joined TSR, got a Vulfix ‘bodger’, a cheap Superspeed, a DE89L, Ingram, MWF, Palmolive sticks, a mixture of blades and went WWHOOOOSSHH!!! doon the rabbit hole! Help! Can anybody hear me? It’s like a ruddy warren down here. Matron? MATRON!!!

Are you serious?

I read an article that recommended using coconut oil as an aftershave. Puzzled, I looked at the byline: It was written by a woman.

Straight coconut oil is about half lauric acid, a common ingredient in soap (real soap). Some soaps are too caustic to shave with, or have ingredients that contribute to razor burn.

But there are some that, in my experience, are satisfactory substitutes for shaving soap, such as Yardley.

As to olive oil, I have never tried shaving with it, but the shaving soaps I have tried that contained olive oil were terrible. They did not create decent lather, the main reason being the olive oil.

Actually, if I didn't have any shaving cream, I have always thought a can of aerosol whipped cream would be a brilliant substitute. Never quite gotten around to trying it, though.
Yes I've tried it and found what I used more than useable, as a last ditch resort.

Last edited:
Many years ago I was in a hotel and had not packed any shaving cream, I used the hotel hair shampoo, wasn't so bad.

Another time I used baby lotion with a Mach 3, the shave was ok but I had to throw the cartridge away.

I don't think I would do any of this again, even if you just bought shaving foam from a corner shop or really lathered up some hand soap.

Are you serious?

If you don't like it that's your opinion, others may think differently.

Back
Top Bottom