Whats your favourite tie knot?

My father taught me a Pratt (or Shelby) ages ago and that's what I always did... until some three years ago I tried and liked a four-in-hand. Simple.

With a dimple, of course.

You use the loop, gentlemen? I used to, but since I 'moved' to the four-in-hand I don't any more.

While visiting England in the early 70's, a grand old English gentleman, friend of the family, known only to me as
the ‘Commodore' ( RAF man, you know) once told me ‘when in London a gentleman should always wear a tie.
When I asked him why, he said ‘you never know when your service might be required by the Queen'.
Great man.

Windsor 'cos I'm a short-arse, and all my ties are too long for me.

I did used to have one very thick tie that I tied with a Pratt, but I've forgotten how.

That Pratt knot is the only way I've ever done it. I had no idea that is what is was called.

Haven't worn a tie in years, only on rare client meetings. I'm office based and we don't wear ties.

I have watched the Ermenegildo Zegna tutorial of the Pratt knot and I remember the manager of Moss Bros teaching me this knot as a half Windsor many years ago. I used it for many years but found that as it requires the tie to be put round the neck the "wrong way round" ie the stitches to the outside of the neck, it used to invariably break the closing stitching of the tie. I then reverted to what I believe to be a half Windsor by having the closing stitching to the inside of the neck, which resolved the problem of the closing stitching breaking. Can anyone follow me? Has anyone got any views? My favourite Knots are the four in hand and the half Windsor or the inverted Pratt knot, depending on any views?

The Pratt isn't simply a back-to-front half-Windor, though - it has to be untied, and doesn't simply shake out like most tie knots do once you unthread the narrow part.

It is a very useful knot for bulky ties where you still want a symmetrical knot. The four in hand triggers my OCD.

Back
Top Bottom