whats the difference between these derby de blades?

D

Deleted member 12673

hey peeps so i noticed theres a couple of types of derby de blades,

ive used the black premium derby blades dont remember how i found them though as that was some time ago

anyways im wondering whats the difference between these derby blades? (links below)
which are considered the best?
which is the sharpest and smoothest out the lot?

are the others worth more compared to the derby green ones? (first link)

this one below is advertised as derby blades but it says blue bird, is it th same company?

thanks saj :)

Hi Saj,
I am fairly new to the shaving world and the one thing I have learned is that there is no all out Best razor or Blade it's all subjective.
It really does come down to your face and Stubble type.
One mans awesome Blade ( some hail the Feather) is anothers dissapointment ( It's nice but not the best for me) so to speak.
so my advice is to buy a small pack of each and go have a nice shave and decide for yourself what one suits you best because you can't really go on the price of the Blades either, or better still try a variety bundle like I did and you will get to try a whole range of Blades for little cost.

Last edited:
Hi Saj,
I am fairly new to the shaving world and the one thing I have learned is that there is no all out Best razor or Blade it's all subjective.
It really does come down to your face and Stubble type.
One mans awesome Blade ( some hail the Feather) is anothers dissapointment ( It's nice but not the best for me) so to speak.
so my advice is to buy a small pack of each and go have a nice shave and decide for yourself what one suits you best because you can't really go on the price of the Blades either, or better still try a variety bundle like I did and you will get to try a whole range of Blades for little cost.

have you found anywhere which does every single blade thats out there in a sample set at all?

No I don't think there is such a thing tbh. I did buy this pack https://www.connaughtshaving.com/popular.html
and then added a single pack of other Blades I wanted to try.
Pretty much every shaving website I have come across will stock a Blade I have not seen before lol there must be hundreds out there lol, but that's part of the DE shaving adventure in experimenting.
Also just to throw something extra into your quest in finding the perfect Blade, I have found the same Blade can feel very different in another Razor. Soaps and creams can also change the feel of a Blade and how it shaves lol. good luck and enjoy the journey and welcome to the rabbit hole of addiction lmao. ;)

I think the last one is mis-labelled - the Bluebird blades. Ignore that.

Derby green is the standard (blue front sleeve for the 10 pack) - for me, it's a one shave blade and even during the first shave I can often feel it going off. The coating is ludicrous! Chromium-Cermamic-Platinum-Tungsten-Polymer coated ... overkill, much? Alas, I still have a good wedge of a pack of 100 singles (saloon) blades. It's not my worst rated blade (that honur goes to EuroMax which I swapped out during the first shave ... with both blades I tried), but it was the worst rated until EuroMax.

Derby (Premium) black is not one I've tried but do have a pack in ... no doubt I will some day but don't hold out much hope for it.

There's also Derby USTA which in Turkish means "master" "craftsman" "skillful" and some folks say these are the ones to look for, while other say it's just the green pack specifically for the Turkish market.

It's probably a blade everyone interested in wet shaving should try, but I think it's safe to say there are better blades to try first ...

Last edited:
im really shocked as i dont really use blades after one use but today i cba changing the derby extra green blades that i used from the last shave but it performed amazingly, like im so surprised tbh

can anyone explain why de blades potentially get better after one or more uses?

You've just technically given it a good stropping on your face with the first shave? Yeah, I tend to enjoy the second shave better.
i dont get why these modern blades would need a good stropping with the technology available today?

anyways i might try to use the blades a few more times before dahsing them away,
only reason why i only use one time is because i got so many to get through and theyre so cheap anyway

i dont get why these modern blades would need a good stropping with the technology available today?

anyways i might try to use the blades a few more times before dahsing them away,
only reason why i only use one time is because i got so many to get through and theyre so cheap anyway
That's quite a wasteful approach though. I prefer blades after the first shave

That's quite a wasteful approach though. I prefer blades after the first shave
yea tbf it might be, will try to get more shaves out of each blades,
how many uses do you usually get out of de blades? i know different blades will differ...

1st shave is a roll of the dice, sometimes great, sometimes a touch rough
2nd shave is the sweet spot.
3rd shave is OK, but you can feel it has lost some of that initial crispness.

That's been my experience with most of the blades i have tried.

Blades vary not only according to which razor and soap you use, but also according to how much you got your face moist and relaxed and how much your arm kept a consistent blade angle.

A bad workman blames his tools and all that.

Back
Top Bottom