What Watch Are You Wearing Today?

Bought a new toy yesterday.

After many mechanicals, i went for this Citizen Eco-Drive with titanium case and bracelet. Sits smaller than it looks on the wrist at 12mm depth and 44mm case. Beautifully lightweight at 98gms measured, yet bracelet is solid and thick. ISO diver rated to 200m and comes with a 5+1 yr warranty from Citizen.

20220731_111627.jpg 20220731_111207.jpg

Has a blue sunburst dial which looks almost black in subdued lighting, but comes to life when outside. Happy days :love:

Bought a new toy yesterday.

After many mechanicals, i went for this Citizen Eco-Drive with titanium case and bracelet. Sits smaller than it looks on the wrist at 12mm depth and 44mm case. Beautifully lightweight at 98gms measured, yet bracelet is solid and thick. ISO diver rated to 200m and comes with a 5+1 yr warranty from Citizen.

View attachment 91359 View attachment 91360

Has a blue sunburst dial which looks almost black in subdued lighting, but comes to life when outside. Happy days :love:
I'm a fan of Citizen Eco Drive. Good quality at reasonable price and low maintenance.
They're great daily drivers.

I am very tempted to get an Ecodrive and had a look at them in the local jewellers today, but I really want a watch I can read at night when I inevitably wake up. Conventional lume never glows for long enough, so I highly suspect my next (infrequent) watch purchase will be a tritium, either an entry level Luminox or Traser H3.
I like a decent level of water resistance but I don't dive and don't need 200M or a bezel. I like clean easy to read faces. Not a massive fan of Nato straps from an aesthetic point of view, just a personal preference as I know they have merit and fans. I don't mind a bit of rugged appearance, not sold on chronograph aviator style though as its just visual clutter cos I can't read the small dials anyway (ditto day/date, I would pay more to *not* have those because anything beyond 1-12 needs me to go fetch my reading glasses!

Last edited:
Yes, and I do have a pretty good and super cheapy Lorus field watch which must have been no more than £30. Classic field watch design, IIRC 50m WR, and cheap enough to bang about. The face is 'Lumibrite' which is a full lume face with black numbers, honestly a bargain for 1/10 the price of something similar with tritium tubes. I don't actually need another watch really, I have beaters, solar, and slightly dressier options. It's almost a hypothetical 'what would I do if I were to buy a new watch' really, which no doubt I will crumble at some point!

Edit: it's this. £30 and actually 100m WR. They nailed (stole) the classic style I think and you could put a proper Nato strap on it. Not exactly aspirational, but for a daily driver it's functionally hard to beat. I can't quite get excited about it as a cheapo but there is nothing to dislike about it. The lume is amazing, but still doesn't last all night.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220731-200541_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220731-200541_Chrome.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Yes, and I do have a pretty good and super cheapy Lorus field watch which must have been no more than £30. Classic field watch design, IIRC 50m WR, and cheap enough to bang about. The face is 'Lumibrite' which is a full lume face with black numbers, honestly a bargain for 1/10 the price of something similar with tritium tubes. I don't actually need another watch really, I have beaters, solar, and slightly dressier options. It's almost a hypothetical 'what would I do if I were to buy a new watch' really, which no doubt I will crumble at some point!

Edit: it's this. £30 and actually 100m WR. They nailed (stole) the classic style I think and you could put a proper Nato strap on it. Not exactly aspirational, but for a daily driver it's functionally hard to beat. I can't quite get excited about it as a cheapo but there is nothing to dislike about it. The lume is amazing, but still doesn't last all night.
I have one of those Lorus watches, I use it for work and it takes quite a few knocks. The strap is pretty rubbish for my uses but still got a few years out of it, before I replaced it with an olive green rubber strap. I'd recommend the Lorus to anyone, a great watch.
IMG20220731202351.jpg

Yeah I like your strap. I put one of those velcro/leather sports straps on the first one I had but if I was to put a new strap on now I would probably get one like yours. Funnily enough I had no idea what these watches were modeled on, I was bantering with my mate who's a massive military watch geek, basically said don't blow your pension fund, just get a Mickey Mouse one like mine, and he pointed out that it was actually a rip off of a classic field watch. He filled me in with the full history, movement type of the original one, cos he's a bit encyclopedic on the subject so I thought well that's a bargain for £25 (what I paid a few years ago).

I put a green Perlon strap on my Lorus and love it:

4O6HmTd.jpg

Never been a fan of high end watches. Now use an inexpensive Wenger. But coming across this in the site was tempted to dig out an old watch I used for years. which I stopped using as the crystal very scratched.
Shook it a few times and it started to go. Checked it out as a Seiko 6105 8110. Divers Watch which I brought in 1969.

Maybe worth a service as it has a cult following. having been in movie Apocalypse Now. Photo of it on my wrist.

View attachment 89600
A fine watch the 'Turtle'
Well worth a service and new crystal.
The bezel insert looks in very good condition.

Reactions: PHR
Looks as though service and new glass etc on my Seiko 6105 8810 is around £350, not to sure about that - though it is quite cool and admired by my youngest son.

View attachment 89631
If the date function works, and it keeps pretty good time perhaps a new crystal and seals will suffice, Mike?
Roy over at The Watch Forum may be able to put you in touch with someone who could provide a favourable quote.
Steve at Ryte Time may still be carrying out this kind of work?, - he is well respected in the watch repair business.

Last edited:
If the fate function works, and it keeps pretty good time perhaps a new crystal and seals will suffice, Mike?
Roy over at The Watch Forum may be able to put you in touch with someone who could provide a favourable quote.
Steve at Ryte Time may still be carrying out this kind of work?, - he is well respected in the watch repair business.
Never heard of a watch with a "fate" function?
GIF by Studio Flox

Back
Top Bottom