What Watch Are You Wearing Today?

There is something very classy about the Tudor Subs

I think that thus is when Rolex peaked, from an aesthetic point of view. Very similar (identical?) case to my Sub..

View attachment 110774
those Tudor (unlike the newer ones) did actually have the Rolex oyster case, bracelet, crystal etc. Essentially, they were Rolex but with a generic non-regulated ETA, hence why they got the "Poor man Rolex" name. Funny how because of this the brand actually went out of market and then returned with a whole new line. Now old Tudor like yours are well sought after and their prices have skyrocketed.

those Tudor (unlike the newer ones) did actually have the Rolex oyster case, bracelet, crystal etc. Essentially, they were Rolex but with a generic non-regulated ETA, hence why they got the "Poor man Rolex" name. Funny how because of this the brand actually went out of market and then returned with a whole new line. Now old Tudor like yours are well sought after and their prices have skyrocketed.

Very true, but mine’s a Rolex...

My understanding is that the old Tudors were pretty much the same design as Rolex, made by Rolex, but with slight cost-cutting right across the board in terms of exotic materials and the absolute fit and finish.

So you got a watch that looked like a Rolex, but wasn't a Rolex, but was nevertheless a very good and well-engineered watch.

Its a little like the relationship between similar Audi and VW cars i think.

Indeed, so long as its a good homage. I would never buy a 'fake' (illegal counterfeit with the actual brand name) but the Steeldives are actually good quality Seiko movements in well made cases with decent WR and sapphire crystal. They just, er, "were inspired by" someone else's design efforts, which is morally vaguely suspect but imitation being the sincerest form of flattery and it's not like they're being sold as Rolexes.

Wtf ,some crap getting spouted about . Is anybody else wanting to rubbish what was a present from my wife

Chill out mate. It's a very nice watch, which is reinstated by all of these quotes from this thread:

There is something very classy about the Tudor Subs

I think that thus is when Rolex peaked, from an aesthetic point of view.

Now old Tudor like yours are well sought after and their prices have skyrocketed.

So you got a watch that looked like a Rolex, but wasn't a Rolex, but was nevertheless a very good and well-engineered watch.

Indeed, so long as its a good homage. I would never buy a 'fake' (illegal counterfeit with the actual brand name) but the Steeldives are actually good quality Seiko movements in well made cases with decent WR and sapphire crystal. They just, er, "were inspired by" someone else's design efforts, which is morally vaguely suspect but imitation being the sincerest form of flattery and it's not like they're being sold as Rolexes.

It took me ages to buy my Steinart GMT as I really wasn't sure about this, but in the end I decided that it had enough design differences and wasn't trying to be a Rolex so I was happy to get it.

Back
Top Bottom