What Watch Are You Wearing Today?

Nice watch Iain, they do a black ion M50 which I like the look of. Did you order it from Canada or did you find a reseller over here?
Therein lies a story - my partner wears a men's Momentum Atlas field watch on various NATO bands, She has three versions - different face colours - I guess that is why she is stylish and coordinated in a way I will never be. The first I bought from Momentum via Amazon but didn't notice that the origin point was Canada until too late. I got away with it. The next one I bought directly from Momentum themselves They very helpfully said that they could send it from their European distribution hub in Holland to avoid any potential problems. (PRE-BREXIT) Nice service. I found that prices didn't vary that much between official re-sellers and I had each of the Atlas watches upgraded to the full sapphire crystal face - so they had to come from the manufacturer directly. My M50 was a present to me from her - although I chose it - I'm pretty sure that it came from a dive-shop sale. It was about £200 - so £100 off the retail. Be careful if looking for one - there are still a few of the Mark 1 version floating about. They are cosmetically identical but the battery system is rated to 5 years - it's ten years for the Mark II. Something to consider given how much it is going to cost to get the thing changed and get the pressure seals reset to factory condition. The strap shown is a Hirsch aftermarket one I fitted - I don't know what possessed me to spend £50 on a strap but I don't regret a single penny. How a rubber strap can be that comfortable is quite beyond me. I couldn't recommend them too highly. They came from Watch Obsession in the UK. As pointed out I will never wear the watch to the depth it is rated - unprotected I'd be a gelatinous cube about 3 inches square at that pressure - but it does mean that it is pretty much indestructible in everyday use. It isn't going to fail for any reason other than power. I've been wearing it for 6 or 7 years? and there isn't a mark or scuff on it. I'm pretty heavy-handed and have broken several cheap watches previously. That's not going to happen with the M50. It is a big thing - 44mm - but I'm 6' 4'' so I can carry it off. I can read the face without my glasses on - a major plus for me. I can't abide fussy watch faces cluttered with shit I don't need. The lume is functional but not as good as really high-end ones but that is to be expected at the price point. Mine is accurate to +2 seconds a month - and it shouldn't matter but the second hand lands dead on the dial markers. Probably not important but very satisfying! Bottom line - if I lost or had my M50 stolen - I'd replace it with exactly the same thing immediately. Assuming that doesn't happen I don't expect to have to replace this ever apart from batteries every decade. With the Atlas field watches - they reliably run to 6/7 years between changes instead of the rated 5 in my partner's experience. You can tell when the power starts to fade - the second hand skips two seconds per stroke not one. You've got about 6 months when that starts to happen. I couldn't recommend both the watches discussed too highly.

Cheers - I.

Last edited:
Cheers for the comprehensive reply, very interesting. What a fantastic present and an excellent choice. Indeed I would never need anything more than 100M so I can swim, I've no intention of taking up scuba diving! I suppose we would have to reckon with import duty now, and they are about £330 now so it would be closer to £400 landed.

...I can read the face without my glasses on - a major plus for me. I can't abide fussy watch faces cluttered with shit I don't need...
Mine is accurate to +2 seconds a month - and it shouldn't matter but the second hand lands dead on the dial markers. Probably not important but very satisfying!...

These points are anal retentive "faults" I suffer from with a watch I am afraid. Readable, uncluttered dial & accurate with the seconds hand hitting on. Alas, 44mm is too large for me. :cry:

IMG_20221119_202811_5.jpg
My new (to me) Hamilton Khaki field watch that I purchased from @Rohleder for a very reasonable price, thank you James.
It's much smaller, thinner and lighter than my Vostok Expedition North Pole 1 watch and I have now got used to it being on my wrist.
It has become my daily wear watch.
Sorry about the reflections in the picture, the best I could do at this time of night! :)

Back
Top Bottom