What smells and colours do you like??

Cinnamon, yes. What's the strong, warming almost medicinal thing(s) in root beer -- that would be good on an autumn/winter morning. Cloves and almonds, too.

How about ylang ylang / jasmine -- could be good with rose / honeysuckle?

Or pine -- might be good with menthol / eucalyptus?

How about a "layer cake" -- a puck of soap made up of thin discs of different "flavours" stacked up on top of each other, so that as one wears through the next new aroma blends with it until the old is gone. Some aromas go well together, so they could be put next to each other: eg vanilla - sandalwood - patchouli - cloves - pine - eucalyptus - menthol. Stratification would be cool, and allow an ever shifting and evolving palette of aromas to combine and emerge. Just an idea.

Rev-O said:
How about a "layer cake" -- a puck of soap made up of thin discs of different "flavours" stacked up on top of each other, so that as one wears through the next new aroma blends with it until the old is gone. Some aromas go well together, so they could be put next to each other: eg vanilla - sandalwood - patchouli - cloves - pine - eucalyptus - menthol. Stratification would be cool, and allow an ever shifting and evolving palette of aromas to combine and emerge. Just an idea.

Wow, that sounds pretty cool! Like a soapy Rocket ice lolly!!! This could be Soap Alchemist's gimmick!

Actually there is no reason that, with the right soap, any of us couldn't create our own Layer Cake Soap. Come on guys, who's going to try it? :shave

I'd buy a layer cake soap for sure, Rev's layering idea sound lovely. You would not get the same scent all the time and possibly get a nice mix. It may be a complete failure but I would be willing to try it. I would imagine the pouring process would be harder and slower but if it can be done then I am all for it.

soapalchemist said:
Can't say I've had any luck with this milling and melting business, which I've tried a couple of times; I just end up with a most unappealing lumpy mess.

What I mean is that when the dry pre-formed cake arrives in the hands of the customer they can then contrive it into the container of their choice - I didn't mean that you have to do it for them!

I knew that Sir Prize - it may be that remilling works better with soaps that have already been milled. Most commercially sold soaps have been milled which requires the removal of the gylcerine naturally in the soap.
I make mine in a stainless steel bowl, but haven't yet worked out how to do refills, as the soap sticks to the bowl once it's poured in. My 3" 'pucks' do fit into the bottom of the bowl, but I have yet to experiment with whether it can easily be stuck into the bottom, perhaps with being wet a couple of times. I think it all works easier when the soap is stuck into the bowl.

Rev-O said:

I like it. Not so crazy on 6 scents in soap but two maybe three strata of complimentary scents would be very interesting.
I think you might have something there Rev...how about making half pucks (semi circular) and then matching your'e own. If you just want to use sandalwood or vanilla fine but if you wanted to combine the two load up with a bit of both soaps from the same dish. A bit more difficult to manufacture I suppose.

Edit: You just cut the bl**dy things in half I suppose. :roll:

MWF & TABAC ???? :cool:

antdad said:
Rev-O said:

I like it. Not so crazy on 6 scents in soap but two maybe three strata of complimentary scents would be very interesting.
I think you might have something there Rev...how about making half pucks (semi circular) and then matching your'e own. If you just want to use sandalwood or vanilla fine but if you wanted to combine the two load up with a bit of both soaps from the same dish. A bit more difficult to manufacture I suppose.

Edit: You just cut the bl**dy things in half I suppose. :roll:

MWF & TABAC ???? :cool:

+ 1 me likey. Maybe add palmolive too. A poor mans neopolitan.

Looks like I'm a very late arrival, but for what it's worth I suppose strong scents but weak colours appeal to me - frankly I'm not at all bothered about the latter, off-white would do just fine. I'd definitely be interested in a cedarwood soap, and (here's a thought, Hunnymonster) a soap which smells of juniper berries rather than foliage, and produces a good long lasting lather without undue trouble.

Arrowhead said:
Looks like I'm a very late arrival, but for what it's worth I suppose strong scents but weak colours appeal to me - frankly I'm not at all bothered about the latter, off-white would do just fine. I'd definitely be interested in a cedarwood soap, and (here's a thought, Hunnymonster) a soap which smells of juniper berries rather than foliage, and produces a good long lasting lather without undue trouble.

Sounds like you're referring to the disappointing Sedburgh soap! :?

hunnymonster said:
Would something like this make for easier extraction of the soap?
Aaah! The search for the perfect mould. Silicone is great as a liner, wonderfully non stick. But it doesn't hold it's shape very well standing on it's own, and also cold process soap works better in larger volumes. I think for the moment I'm happy with the 3" rounds and the stainless steel bowls.
I'm definitely going to try this out in the bowls - Rocket Lolly Shaving Soap....it might appeal to the inner child in all of you. I think three layers is about right. You would have a while of one scent, then a while of two mixed, fading into the next on its own, and so on.
I do have a cedarwood soap in bowls. If anyone is interested PM me (but bear in mind I go away on Friday), I've just done an info sheet of shaving soaps currently available for someone who emailed me, along with bar soaps suitable for sensitive skin. (I have loads of other bar soaps, but know you're all primarily obsessed with shaving).

Pig Cat said:
Arrowhead said:
a soap which smells of juniper berries rather than foliage, and produces a good long lasting lather without undue trouble.

Strange that you should mention that, I have a bar soap that I call Echoes of Tibet which is scented only with Juniper Berry EO; but the scent is very faint. Some EOs are good at sticking in cold process soap, and some just aren't.

soapalchemist said:
Aaah! The search for the perfect mould. Silicone is great as a liner, wonderfully non stick. But it doesn't hold it's shape very well standing on it's own, and also cold process soap works better in larger volumes. I think for the moment I'm happy with the 3" rounds and the stainless steel bowls.

I think it depends on the silicone trays in question - I bought some *years* ago as a student for making muffins (3½" diameter) and they hold their shape 100%. Some of the ones I've seen recently aren't quite so robust though.

Back
Top Bottom