What should l look for on eBay?

Hi Guy's,

I've been shaving for about 6 weeks now, and with great advice and support for this forum have developed my technique to a level where i get a decent close, non irritating shave. I still have a very long way to go until i have a great technique, but i'm enjoying learning, and shaving.

Unfortunately i have fallen into the trap of looking on ebay at the vintage razors on offer, I was looking for some advice on what I should be looking to purchase to get a good vintage razor that performs well. A vintage razor with a good pedigree as a classic amongst razor. Not looking to spend a ransom on but willing to invest in good product.

I can see this leading to a collection of razors accumulating in the bathroom.

Thanks

Andy.

For me, the best razors have been Gillette Rockets and superspeeds.

These offer no fuss, great shaves.

The only risk you have to bare with on eBay is you may get something with plate loss and/or lazy doors. These won't be worth paying top dollar for so becareful!

My personal view would be that the best buy will almost certainly be found amongst BST section of this Forum. Guys like Steve (SunburyBoy), Max (French Blade) and others (plse excuse me not listing everyone) handle some very nice razors indeed, give a genuine description of the condition of the kit and as far as I can tell price items on TSR at "M8's rates". They also come with the advantage that many of us have bought or traded with them & can give a personal recommandation.

JohnnyO. (I'm biased, however a nice, clean Gillette Slim adjustable is always going to be a good purchase). \ :shave

JohnnyO said:
My personal view would be that the best buy will almost certainly be found amongst BST section of this Forum. Guys like Steve (SunburyBoy), Max (French Blade) and others (plse excuse me not listing everyone) handle some very nice razors indeed, give a genuine description of the condition of the kit and as far as I can tell price items on TSR at "M8's rates". They also come with the advantage that many of us have bought or traded with them & can give a personal recommandation.

JohnnyO. (I'm biased, however a nice, clean Gillette Slim adjustable is always going to be a good purchase). \ :shave

Thanks for the plug Johnny :p

The truth is, buying on ebay is always a risk, unless it's an auction with lots of detailed pictures.
I've had some good, and some lesser ones of ebay, it all depends on luck really.
The auctions with lots of pics & details, are also the ones that will go for higher prices, most of the time more than what you'd pay on BST.
The advantage of buying on the forum, as Johnnny says, you'll be sure to get one that works, and in the condition described.

If you're looking for anything in particular, give me a shout, and I'll see what I've got in store.
Dipesh also has 2 nice razors on BST right now.

Max

FrenchBlade said:
JohnnyO said:

Thanks for the plug Johnny :p

The truth is, buying on ebay is always a risk, unless it's an auction with lots of detailed pictures.
I've had some good, and some lesser ones of ebay, it all depends on luck really.
The auctions with lots of pics & details, are also the ones that will go for higher prices, most of the time more than what you'd pay on BST.
The advantage of buying on the forum, as Johnnny says, you'll be sure to get one that works, and in the condition described.

If you're looking for anything in particular, give me a shout, and I'll see what I've got in store.

Max

This. And if you bid for a piece from a US seller, be prepared for a bill from those frightfully nice chaps in HM Customs.

Stick with Max or anyone in the sale forum for now, at least until you have a little more confidence.

On the Bay remember, caveat emptor. Let the buyer beware. But have fun!

My view would be to use people like frenchblade as you are getting a cleaned and sterilized product and not getting ripped off. I can vouch for Max having purchased 3 or 4 used Gillette's from him and all have been as described or better.
Unless of course you enjoy the pleasures of ebay, not one of mine though I have to say. My own favorite by the way by a considerable margin is the slim.

As above. My standard recommendation for a DE razor is a Superspeed or equivalent Rocket, whether flare tip or the 40s version is just a matter of taste. If you have any, you'll go for the latter :twisted:

An Aristocrat Junior, visually very similar to the above, is potentially a very good buy. Heavier and rather more aggressive than the others, it's a very efficient shaver and likely to give long term satisfaction. Mind you I'm biased: I used one exclusively for many years. It still gets my vote for best DE razor - by a whisker - over the vanilla Rocket and the NEW open comb.

Guy's,

Thanks for all your comment, and advice, both frenchblade and dipesh have looked after me.

I think this is the start of a collection that will use up a lot of my spare pennies, I love the technology and authenticity of a good quality vintage.

Thanks again for your help, if I manage to accumulate enough knowledge, hopefully one day I may be able to help out a newcomer like me in the future.

Cheers.

Andy.

Personally I think Superspeeds are rubbish to shave with, but that's just me and I can see myself getting boiling oil poured on me for the ramparts for stating that. :lol:

For me, the better shave from a vintage is probably from a Tech. They're just so simple.

Personally I find it much more satisfying finding razors "in the wild". I have been lucky so far with ebay but shops selling collectables are always worth a look also antique fairs. The thing is to recognise the boxes rather than the razors which will generally not be on show. Straights tend to outnumber DE razors in my experience.

Back
Top Bottom