What Razor To Try After DE89

The Rockwell may seem a bit on the chunky side but I find I can shave ATG under my nose with it no problem at all, and I have annoying growth right in the crease of the flares of my nostrils.
I usually use mine on plates 3&4 and it's without doubt the smoothest razor I have used.
Slant razors aren't scary to use at all. A little more care is needed at first while you get used to the increased blade exposure but they're intuitive and do a good job.

I think after 6 months with one razor you owe it to yourself to buy another razor, go on treat yourself. Laffin!

Before I recommend buying anything new. I'd recommend buffing around the chin area and also go from East to West (as you face the mirror) and back again a few times to see if you can get a closer shave. It's one of a few places were I struggle to get a close finish after 3 passes.

OK onto hardware. It's difficult to recommend anything but I'll give you a few to look out for and a few I wouldn't recommend.

First the ones I wouldn't recommend:

The R41. Too aggressive and no fun to use.

Steer well clear of any Futur copies or the Futur for that matter. The copies are cheap and nasty. A number of them have alinement issues which can prove dangerous. The original Futur is very aggressive and may not the best to go for just yet.

Don't buy a Timeless until you can borrow one first. Yes they look nice but a number of others, including myself have find them rough and aggressive. I really, really wanted one but a number of members suggested in their strongest possible terms not to buy one until I try one on loan. I tried different blade gaps, different configurations and I didn't like any of them.

Ones I'd recommend:

The Fatip Piccolo. Cheap but a great shaver. Very efficient and smooth. I don't find it aggressive at all.

The Parker Variant or Progress. I've tried both and preferred the Variant. I nearly bought one myself but it the handle was a little too long for me.

Above The Tie: They are more expensive but very well made. One of my favourites is the S2 (Open Comb Slate).

SE (Artist Club) style razors are worth a go. The Razorock Hawk is OK (for the money) but I much preferred (Aluminium) The General by Colonial Razors.

I would highly recommend you give the GEM SE Style razors a go. You can pick up an Ever Ready 1912 for under £15.00. It's a fantastic shaver and the best ‘bang for buck' in shaving (IMHO). Put a Wanted AD in BST and you'll get a number of offers and no doubt the seller will include a few blades to start you off.

Last edited:

One man's meat is another man's poison.

Certainly for me the Timeless is a step above the ATT M2 which out of the two I would describe as the rough and the aggressive. But then again this shaving thing is like most hobbies (or hobbies which are not quite hobbies?). It is all down to personal taste and and an awful lot of other factors which can dictate how items perform.

I will agree Timeless are not cheap but I did buy mine used for a great price which made a lot of sense. And glad I did.

As it is I am loaning a few razors to Dave so he can (As rightfully mentioned) trial for himself. I hope it helps in his quest.

Totally agree with you. The Timeless wasn't for me but many love it. My advice was to try before you buy. Not always possible I know. Great to hear you're helping Dave out.

I think you can get away with buying cheaper razors like the Fatip or Parker. You can pick them up on the BST threads and if they aren't for you you can sell them on for very little to no loss.

Last edited:

I always get a DFS using the ancient Gillette Tech with 1 1/2 passes, one full WTG & one partial XTG. If I wanted I could get BBS, but I rarely shave ATG as IMO it's not worth the small incremental gain as well as the risk of ingrown hairs.

As a note, far too many shavers "faceturbate" after a shave in quest for the mythical perfect shave. Just because you feel a slight stubble when you touch your face in the ATG manner does not mean that the shave was bad. Remember always that shaving is beard reduction and not elimination.

Hear! Hear!

Hi Dave, like you I started off with the DE 89 and have been using it for a few months. Unsure what to move on to, but attracted to ATT, I bought a set giving me 2 handles, 2 heads and an additional base plate. Went for the R1, M1 and S1. So far have tried the M1 and S1. Find the M1 gives a great shave in 3 passes and the S1 in 2, but with assorted cuts! I prefer the shorter Atlas handle. Sticking with the M1 and trying different blades. Love it!

Thanks. The ATT stuff looks great, I've actually got an M2 open comb kindly on loan from @Satanfriendly and will be using it in the next week or so. The ATT handles are awesome though, I love them. I think ATT stuff is a bit beyond my price range for now.

What @Steve Bowles said...Both superb razors.

They're not aggressive Roy.

They're smooth shavers and are more
efficient than aggressive, not to be feared any more than a non slant closed comb razor .
Like all razors, they deserve to be used with respect.

I would try a slant after seeing numerous recommendations. I just wonder why they don't seem as prevalent if they are that good

Because basically there are only two major brands being manufactured at this point in time: the Merkur (37c/39c), and the ATT (S1/S2). There are a few others (Italian Barber, Maggard, Ikon, and maybe one or two more) but the conventional DEs are far more ubiquitous and allow for full expression of one's Razor Acquisition Disorder. The other point is that the slant razor has been called 'the perfect answer to a problem that doesn't exist.'

Last edited:
I would try a slant after seeing numerous recommendations. I just wonder why they don't seem as prevalent if they are that good

I think you might be surprised after you try one. They are very smooth and very efficient. Up until recently the ATT S2 was my favourite DE razor and I've tried a lot of them. I still love it and I've been known to call it ‘old faithful' in the past.
There are other cheaper alternatives which have been mentioned previously and nothing wrong with them.

What I will say is if you do really like the ATT razors you can build one piece by piece over a period of time so you can spread the cost. ATT parts pop up quite frequently on the BST threads. Each part costs on average £35.00 so not too bad.