What made your day a good one

Not really what made your day but more what made my week.

After father's passing back at end of January we have finally been given the grant of probate. Part of all this includes the house which we have decided to keep and not simply sell on. Being in a nice part of the country at the foot of the Yorkshire Wolds and having good reason to return to my roots and stay in touch with the relatives, then why not?

So this past week saw me and my brother go over for a few days to decorate and turn it around. My father was typical of his generation and filling every space was the order of the day. So we thinned it all out and held on to some of the older pieces of furniture and worked around them. Make the best and make them blend in. Why not hold to some nice G-Plan and Ercol?

We actually managed to paint the whole bungalow in just over two days. Not quite finalised but not that far to go either

IMG_20210522_085113.jpg

IMG_20210521_222159.jpg

IMG_20210521_202952.jpg

IMG_20210521_202942.jpg

IMG_20210521_105727.jpg

IMG_20210521_080712.jpg

Perhaps more importantly because of a rift between my father and brother I became rejected by my brother for the past 12 years or so. However my father's death has brought us back together and it is nice to have a brother again. We don't ask the 'why?' question and it has been wonderful to continue where we left off all those years back. I won't let mindless triviality come between us again

Last edited:
Day in the garden ...

I got to play with my new tools - with the garden up, up and up again, kinda Steps to Mordor, it's always difficult to run electric up there. I know, I really should get a sparky (hey, son ... Electrical Engineer) to run permanent electric up there but I've just not got around to that. Instead, I've bought a new mower and strimmer. I went with the Karcher, which I am very pleased with both. I'm pretty sure they're the same as Worx, Ryobi and Black & Decker, in fact, certainly the law mower bears a striking resemblance to Makita.

Anyway, one 5 Ah battery did the laws on highest cut, then again on second cut. I then popped it back on charge, did my newly turfed lawn right down to lowest cut and strimmed around everywhere. Karcher have a deal whereby you can get a second battery for free with such purchases and so I've put my claim in. Once approved, I'll pop an order in for that battery and their chainsaw. I've been back and forth over chainsaws - for my needs, just the 12" blade will do me just fine. My other kit is all DeWalt, but the chainsaw is just a bit too much ... well, the lawnmower and strimmer was a bit much, hence looking elsewhere. The Karcher reviews well and I've got the batteries now.

Enjoyed that ...

Next up, I levelled off, tamped and set out the deck for a shed to go in soon. That, or a corner arbour. I'll have the shed first while we get the summerhouse/cabin sorted at the back/top of the garden and then probably convert that shed area to an arbour.

Enjoyed the outcome, but tamping in this sun is not huge fun. Blisters! Despite wearing gloves. That made my evening shave a little problematic as scratchy stubble washing my face for a shave was not fun, nor was the aftershave splash. But not enough to feature in the "crap day" thread.

Chip butties for tea! Mrs cooked as I was knackered from playing out all day ...

Not really what made your day but more what made my week.

After father's passing back at end of January we have finally been given the grant of probate. Part of all this includes the house which we have decided to keep and not simply sell on. Being in a nice part of the country at the foot of the Yorkshire Wolds and having good reason to return to my roots and stay in touch with the relatives, then why not?

So this past week saw me and my brother go over for a few days to decorate and turn it around. My father was typical of his generation and filling every space was the order of the day. So we thinned it all out and held on to some of the older pieces of furniture and worked around them. Make the best and make them blend in. Why not hold to some nice G-Plan and Ercol?

We actually managed to paint the whole bungalow in just over two days. Not quite finalised but not that far to go either

View attachment 70432

View attachment 70433

View attachment 70435

View attachment 70436

View attachment 70438

View attachment 70440

Perhaps more importantly because of a rift between my father and brother I became rejected by my brother for the past 12 years or so. However my father's death has brought us back together and it is nice to have a brother again. We don't ask the 'why?' question and it has been wonderful to continue where we left off all those years back. I won't let mindless triviality come between us again
That's a proper "good one", Chris. Glad to hear there's a positive to the situation. And you're right about the furniture as well. Classics :love:

Back
Top Bottom