What is this Gillette?

Can the experts please reveal to me what I have here, and its approximate date?
As yet uncleaned, and smelled wickedly of brasso when I opened the packet.

g01-01.jpg

g01-02.jpg

g01-03.jpg

g01-04.jpg

g01-05.jpg

g01-08.jpg

Neat little tin with a "lift" mechanism that raises the platform holding the razor when the lid is opened.

g01-09.jpg

g01-10.jpg

Obviously made in England and the case made in the USA.
I can't read what it says on the bottom line of the inside of the lid due to rubbing on the blade container.

Cheers
Rod

It's a 1920s NEW Improved, from the case it's a Bostonian (that's what it says under the diamond). If there's a serial number on it anywhere (I don't see one in your pictures) you'll be able to date it to a year.

Was quite possibly silver plated (not nickel) before the brasso-crazed eejit set to on it...

As HM says a NEW Improved. Specifically, the Bostonian iteration and I expect it was the gold plated version, which the brasso-crazed eejit has taken to be brass and as such has removed any trace of the gold plating.

There is no serial number or patent number. Just the Gillete diamond and the "Made in England"

Not much sign of any plating left... No sign of plating on the razor I don't think. Perhaps some gold inside the hole in the end of the handle. Back of the head maybe.

On the back around the box hinges, and inside the box if I remove the lift mechanism. That looks to be unpolished and gold. (If it were brass it would be tarnished).

"BOSTONIAN" ... yup thanks... I kinda worked out the ".... NIAN" part.

Rod

Edit: I just polished the surface of the head and the top of the box with silver wadding. The wadding went black... which indicates brass.

Ah ! It does have markings on the handle.
"PATENT 1339??" I think. Possibly "13396?"

Rod

Ah!

This site lists it as a 1926 Bostonian Gold.
More reading suggests that the "England" version is much less common than the "USA" version.

1926%20Bostonian%20gold.jpg

Marcel said:
Apart from the plating, is looks to be in very good condition! I would consider a replate if you like it.

Yes, I do like it.
Perhaps it is just the novelty of it, but this is one for my (little but growing) museum.

Wife and her two friends here yesterday made "oooh" and "aaah" sounds of approval, so it has more than just man appeal. :icon_razz:

Rod

I'm pretty certain mines identical, from memory I think the PAT number is 133963 defo from 1917, never seen a silver/nickel UK made Bostonian in a UK labelled box and mine has the same rose gold hue as Marcel's so I'm assuming my plating is still intact.

If you don't go for a re-plate you could easily lacquer it to protect the surface, practice first though to avoid spatter from a can.

Back
Top Bottom