What is this Feather for? Now I know.

Connaughts sell a Feather SE blade similar to the Gem but without the spine - there was a recent thread that discussed how to add a spine so that they could be used in some SE razors. However, I'm intrigued as to why Feather make these as there does not appear to be an obvious market so can someone please put my mind at rest:

1) Did Feather ever make an SE razor that the blades are intended for?
2) Are ther any other SE razors that take the blade without it having to be modified?

Thanks, Rob

RE: What is this Feather for?

They're designed for the Feather single edge razor, I've never seen one but they did make them. They also fit another couple of makes but I'm not sure which. One website (razorblades and more) seems to suggest they fit "Valet" SE's at least.

UKRob said:
Connaughts sell a Feather SE blade similar to the Gem but without the spine - there was a recent thread that discussed how to add a spine so that they could be used in some SE razors. However, I'm intrigued as to why Feather make these as there does not appear to be an obvious market so can someone please put my mind at rest:

1) Did Feather ever make an SE razor that the blades are intended for?
2) Are ther any other SE razors that take the blade without it having to be modified?

Thanks, Rob

1) Feather made a Valet-type razor
2) yes, most Gem and Ever Ready SE's, just not the MicroMatics and one of the two Valet types.

I found this excerpt from a brief history of Feather by Jim Rian ...'Later, they began making Valet auto-strop type single-edge razors; for which, in fact, they still make and sell blades (the holders are, sadly, unavailable).'

This bears out Canuck's post.

Does anyone have a picture?

Thanks Wil - I started this reply before seeing your post.

Re: What is this Feather for?

If you wana try I can send you a couple? I love them in my auto strop, a valet one. Would really like to hunt a feather one out but no idea where to start.

monkeytennis said:
If you wana try I can send you a couple? I love them in my auto strop, a valet one. Would really like to hunt a feather one out but no idea where to start.

Very kind - I'll take you up as I have an EverReady which takes them unmodified according to Wil.

Will pm you my address.

I tried the Feather blade in my EverReady but, unfortunately it moved on one side so I gave up on that experiment until I could fit a spine (taken off a Gem blade).

Having used it again today, I have to say this has to be the best shaving blade that I've tried, whether DE, SE or straight. Certainly, it's a big step up on the only direct comparison, the Gem. It's just a pity that you have to go to the trouble of fitting the spine. The quality of the edge seems to be much smoother than other Feather blades I've tried but with no loss of sharpness.

If anyone has experience of using them without the spine, maybe you would let me know. However, I love the EverReady as it seems to just let you know what angle you should be using - so the combination with a Feather is one I shall continue with.

As far as I'm aware, these blades fit the FeatherWeight, Push Button, and Contour razors (I'm sure there must be others too). I've never even knowingly seen a Contour, and for some reason have never used them in my Feather Weight, but I've used it with no issues in my Push Button.

Back
Top Bottom