What is the best cartridge/disposable razor system of all time?

The Plus, as you say, is simply with lube strip, whether GII or Contour. I can't say I have a preference - as a child of the Sixties I would have shaved often with the GII and moved onto the Contour. The GII echoes the angle of a DE, the Contour is an effortless, if unadventurous, shave. Both shave closely. If I have to do a cart-shave, I tend to go for the Contour - I have more handles and the time factor favours a pivot head.

Gillette Sensor, not the Sensor Excel with those stupid pointless "Microfins" that do absolutely nothing other than add £1 to a pack of ten, but the original pure Sensor you can no longer buy, two blades is plenty & it could shave under your nose.

Gillette Sensor, not the Sensor Excel with those stupid pointless "Microfins" that do absolutely nothing other than add £1 to a pack of ten, but the original pure Sensor you can no longer buy, two blades is plenty & it could shave under your nose.

100% Rockall66, there is no substitute!

Only in my (& Roockall66) opinion of course and I wish you could still get the Sensor blades at a reasonable price; there have been suggestions that they may still be available in India, but I believe that they may be too expensive to produce, because of some sort of spring mechanisms integrated within the cartridge.

Used to use these, single blade clogs less, no lube strip, cheap as dirt.

iu

I think that the Mach 3 gives a reasonable shave preidy, but because of the size of the head, I have trouble sharing under the nose areas, do you not find this to be a problem or does it become easier with more use with Mach 3.
Well alittle bit for me (due to 3 blades) but I used the Trac II for many years and did not have this problem. I no longer use the M3 or T2 (except when I travel) but did full time for about 30+ years prior to going to vintage.

I hope this is considered to be a worthwhile subject area and is of interest.
May I suggest that some or all of the following could be the criteria for selection: Best Shave; Least Irritation; Price; Clogging; Ease of Use; Manouvurability (ie around difficult areas, under the nose etc): Longevity of the System; Longevity of the Shaves; Impact on the Environment; Number of Blades.
Perhaps some sort of result may be able to be assessed at some point.
I tried the pace6 - smooth bbs in one and touch up - no drama gets the job done -
I use a razor pit my last blade lasted 15 shaves
Enjoy

I've been experimenting with the Wilkinson Sword Hydro 5 blade. The first 5 blade system that I have used. To be honest really struggled with it. Found that the head clogged easily - rinsed regularly, and didnt achieve particularly close shaves. Returning to the Mach 3 for the days when I need a quickish shave.

Has anyone tried the Hydro 3 blade? Seems like the next logical experiment;) Especially as the different WS blades fit onto the handle.

I've been experimenting with the Wilkinson Sword Hydro 5 blade. The first 5 blade system that I have used. To be honest really struggled with it. Found that the head clogged easily - rinsed regularly, and didnt achieve particularly close shaves. Returning to the Mach 3 for the days when I need a quickish shave.

Has anyone tried the Hydro 3 blade? Seems like the next logical experiment;) Especially as the different WS blades fit onto the handle.

Sorry if you have heard this before, but have you tried the Gillette Guard? It's one blade and it's design is pretty good for not clogging.

Sorry if you have heard this before, but have you tried the Gillette Guard? It's one blade and it's design is pretty good for not clogging.
Thank you, sir. Will check these out. Also off to try & find a Sensor Excel handle as blades are still available :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I get the impression the Gillette Vector 3 (for the Indian market) can use Sensor cartridges as well, I'm not sure for certain though.
I think that you are right there donnie_arko, I was just about to try them out and then covid struck; will do again when I hopefully return to India!
Also got to try the Gillette Guard, when my current supply of Gillette Blue II Slaloms (and a similar 3 blade model) runs out.

Hello Glen_Lee, I think that the Sensor and the Sensor Excel handle are one of the same; I personally did not find the Excel blade as good as the Sensor; I think this was because of rubber strip incorporated within the cartridge which made the blade less manoeuvrable and and slightly bulkier. Please let us know how you get on.

Incidentally; I've recently picked up some Lacura Shave Gel (Moisturising & Sensitive) from Aldi and so far it equals/betters similar gels produced by Gillette (which I've always previously used) and at 69p per can it is very good value. I appreciate that many traditional shavers will treat gel with disdain, but for me it has always been getting a reasonable shave done in the shortest amount of time, with as little prep and cleaning down time as possible.

Back
Top Bottom