What is the best cartridge/disposable razor system of all time?

These are very interesting issues and one of the reasons that I did not like DESR shaving (the main reason still being that I was no good at it), in so far as severable people have stated previously that one needs to shave with two razors, ie a DESR and then a cartridge to do the nooks and crannies. Some of the more prolific Youtubers also state that cartridges are still best for the awkward places. My rule (and of course this is only applies to me) is that my shave must be completed with only one razor; I suppose that this also comes back down to the length of time one is prepared to actually spend carrying out a shave.

The other option is to find a DE that is mild and find a sharp but smooth blade and then work on a quick shave technique.

Personally, i have found that a Merkur head with an Astra SP blade to be a very smooth and relatively safe combo for me and if time is super tight, i can do a one pass shave down the face as quickly as i could with a cart and it leaves me looking clean shaven, although i can still feel the stubble against the grain.

My main reason for DE shaving, btw, is that the hair around my neckline grows back within the day to a very wiry stubble which is entirely capable of bobbling up the material on a shirt collar or fleece when it rubs against my neck. A 3 pass DE shave renders it material-safe for nearly 24 hours, which a cartridge shave cant come close to.

I'd say the GIllette Fusion 5 format. I hate to say that, but it really is their pinnacle setup now. I shaved almost exclusively with them for about a year. Heck! I took a GIllette SkinGuard Sensitive to over 50 shaves! The Flexball is where it's at, though. Easy shaves, no irritation, wash off and get about your day.

That said, the razor I take on holiday is a GIllette Guard. You can be as sloppy as you like with a Guard, pressure, no pressure, push way too hard, use bath soap, canned goo, foam or just a greasy face from last night's kebab. The Guard just works. Well.
For the Fusion 5 and Gillette Guard, how many passes would your shave be? 50 shaves is impressive, Paul!

There is better value in disposables than packs of carts. You just remove the handle and save 50%...
Crikey! - you just took me back 40 years - i remember that it was a lot cheaper to buy 10 disposibles, than buy 10 carts with the same head!! And yes i vaguely remember you could take the flimsy handle off and click the head into something better.

I have vague memories also of a black handle with a metal stripe insert and a little twist switch that you turned 90 degrees to release carts? Or am i confusing that with a different razor?

I do recall owning both Mach 3 and Sensor (Sensor II?) in the past + others i cant recall the name of.

Last edited:
There is better value in disposables than packs of carts. You just remove the handle and save 50%...
Great idea Sabre; shaved last night with my new Gillette Blue 3, not a bad shave; have now disposed of the handle and inserted the cartridge into my old Sensitive metal handle and see how it performs. Are you aware of any other disposables that fit directly into the Sensor handle?

Great idea Sabre; shaved last night with my new Gillette Blue 3, not a bad shave; have now disposed of the handle and inserted the cartridge into my old Sensitive metal handle and see how it performs. Are you aware of any other disposables that fit directly into the Sensor handle?
Just the Blue3 and Sensor3 disposables.

Just picked up a Mach 3 with a single blade for just £3.49 in B&M. Prior to DE shaving this was my only and favourite cartridge razor. Will pair it with a decent soap and brush - happy to give it another go. May put some Oasis on in the background and reminisce about the late 90s

Just picked up a Mach 3 with a single blade for just £3.49 in B&M. Prior to DE shaving this was my only and favourite cartridge razor. Will pair it with a decent soap and brush - happy to give it another go. May put some Oasis on in the background and reminisce about the late 90s

Slade for me Glen_Lee. But I started off with the Gillette Techmatic!
No no no, this is shaving music!!!

Back
Top Bottom