What is the best cartridge/disposable razor system of all time?

I prefer the three-blade cartridge razors over the five-blade models.

The extra blades affect the aerodynamics, like an air brake, thus altering their ballistic trajectory. It's still possible to throw them straight in the bin but it is a little harder than the three-bladed versions.
Throw it in the Bin ????? Don't you have a razor blade sharpening device ? It can make a single cartridge last for many years !!

Apparently, if you sharpen it on an old pair of worn jeans, it will last forever and remain as sharp as the day it came out of the packet (but don't tell anyone else, its a secret internet "hack")

Throw it in the Bin ????? Don't you have a razor blade sharpening device ? It can make a single cartridge last for many years !!

Apparently, if you sharpen it on an old pair of worn jeans, it will last forever and remain as sharp as the day it came out of the packet (but don't tell anyone else, its a secret internet "hack")

Is that why I see people going about with shredded jeans, their razors must be eemm, razor sharp. :)

TobyC, the clue is in the title of this particular forum and thread. Ian R, I have recently been using shaving soap and a brush, but only to use up the soap left over from my DE safety razor experience. I tried traditional DE safety razor shaving and it just did not work for me. I couldn't stand all of the shaving paraphernalia, the time it all took and the cleaning down of all of the equipment and accessories etc and I was also continually cutting myself. Of course like everyone I want a close shave, but I see shaving similar to washing my hair and showering, in so far as I want to get all such ablutions done in the minimal amount of time. I really have not got the time or inclination for all the various steps and stages of having a traditional DESR shave.

I just wash my face, put on some shaving gel with my hands and get on with the shave. As previously stated, my best cartridge razor has always been the Gillette Sensor, which is / was a very compact 2 blade cartridge, which simply clipped into a metal handle. This system not only delivered a very good shave but also used very little plastic etc so was quite good for the environment, because one was only disposing the small compact cartridge and not a whole disposable plastic razor.

The Sensor was such a good system (and I believe proved to be so popular), that it was unfortunately discontinued by Gillette many years ago. I believe that this was probably one of the original cartridges that used two blades instead of a single blade; I can vividly remember the TV advertising where it demonstrated that the second blade cut off the whisker before it had a chance to retract into the skin; thus giving an incredibly close shave.

I suspect Gillette then came up with the bright idea of selling and of course charging more and more for the multitude of multiblade razors , which are now on the market. I believe that the next razor following the Gillette Sensor (and then the Gillette Sensor Excel, which wasn't so compact as the Sensor) was the Gillette Mach3 (obviously containing three blades: but I found this system more cumbersome than the Sensor 2 blade system).
I note that the Schick FxDiamond has been mentioned by Trainman and some posters have also suggested the Gillette Guard; both of which I must try

TobyC, the clue is in the title of this particular forum and thread. Ian R, I have recently been using shaving soap and a brush, but only to use up the soap left over from my DE safety razor experience. I tried traditional DE safety razor shaving and it just did not work for me. I couldn't stand all of the shaving paraphernalia, the time it all took and the cleaning down of all of the equipment and accessories etc and I was also continually cutting myself. Of course like everyone I want a close shave, but I see shaving similar to washing my hair and showering, in so far as I want to get all such ablutions done in the minimal amount of time. I really have not got the time or inclination for all the various steps and stages of having a traditional DESR shave.
I just wash my face, put on some shaving gel with my hands and get on with the shave. As previously stated, my best cartridge razor has always been the Gillette Sensor, which is / was a very compact 2 blade cartridge, which simply clipped into a metal handle. This system not only delivered a very good shave but also used very little plastic etc so was quite good for the environment, because one was only disposing the small compact cartridge and not a whole disposable plastic razor.
It was such a good system (and I believe proved to be so popular), that it was discontinued by Gillette many years ago. I believe that this was probably one of the original cartridges that used two blades instead of a single blade; I can vividly remember the TV advertising where it demonstrated that the second blade cut off the whisker before it had a chance to retract into the skin; thus giving an incredibly close shave.
I suspect Gillette then came up with the bright idea of selling and of course charging more and more for the multitude of multiblade razors , which are now on the market. I believe that the next razor following the Gillette Sensor (and then the Gillette Sensor Excel, which wasn't so compact as the Sensor) was the Gillette Mach3 (obviously containing three blades: but I found this system more cumbersome than the Sensor 2 blade system).
I note that the Schick FxDiamond has been mentioned by Trainman and some posters have also suggested the Gillette Guard; both of which I must try
The Blue3 and Sensor3 are nearest to the Sensor. They are disposables, but you can take off the head and attach it to a Sensor handle.

Thanks Sabre, I didn't realise that. I also understand that a similar blade that fits into the Sensor handle is produced for the Indian market, but because of the current situation have not been able to investigate further.

The Sensor was such a good system (and I believe proved to be so popular), that it was unfortunately discontinued by Gillette many years ago. I believe that this was probably one of the original cartridges that used two blades instead of a single blade; I can vividly remember the TV advertising where it demonstrated that the second blade cut off the whisker before it had a chance to retract into the skin; thus giving an incredibly close shave.

I don't, and won't, do all of the steps and strange rituals that some do just to shave. I lather up a dry unprepped face and shave, and apply aftershave, and done. I rinse the razor under running water and shake it off and put it in the medicine cabinet, with the blade still in it.

Get a vintage Tech and use Astra blades with any decent soap, shave with a shallow angle and you're golden. Ditch any unnecessary paraphernalia. Don't give up on the DE platform.

Thanks Sabre, I didn't realise that. I also understand that a similar blade that fits into the Sensor handle is produced for the Indian market, but because of the current situation have not been able to investigate further.
I think you are referring to the Guard3. To be honest, I have no idea if that's Sensor compatible. The handle looks similar to the Blue3 Hybrid available in the UK.

The reason I liked the Sensor (not the Sensor Excel) was because it gave a very good shave but also the blade depth was extremely narrow; it did have a lubrication strip (unnecessary in my opinion) but it had no rubber strips (also unnecessary in my opinion). meaning that it could get into all the nooks and crannies with ease.

The Gillette Guard as I understand it is single blade disposable razor, which has been designed for emerging markets, there have been a few postings on this thread recommending it. Obviously, the same as with many disposables, the use of excessive plastic is an issue. Even when a disposable razor's head fits a Sensor handle, there is still the issue of continually throwing away the associated plastic razor handle, which is so unnecessary. Of course the answer is to bring back the Sensor, but that as we know, will not happen.

TobyC, I used the Mühle R41 TWIST open comb safety razor in chrome during my trials with the DESR, but I was constantly cutting myself, which was taking days to heal. I was also using soap lather and a brush, which also took much more time than the Gillette Gel, which I find acceptable. I also found that to keep the razor looking good (it has a highly polished chrome finish) needed added attention. It was also extremely difficult to get the areas directly under the nose free of stubble and when one tried the open blade often used to cut into those areas. But as they say never say never.

There is the option of first generation twin blade carts, the GII blades are still available as are the PII razors on eBay. NOS carts are also available on eBay. I have thousands. They are usually lubra strip free.

Thanks Sabre, please excuse my ignorance, but do these blades fit the Sensor handle and are they comparable with the original Sensor blade shave? If possible, could you give me a link, if of course this is possible, kind regards whitesix

Thanks Sabre, please excuse my ignorance, but do these blades fit the Sensor handle and are they comparable with the original Sensor blade shave? If possible, could you give me a link, if of course this is possible, kind regards whitesix
No, they don't. The first generation are non pivoting twin blades - Gillette Trac or G II/Schick Super II/Wilkinson Sword Profile mk1.

Or the second generation, Gillette Contour or Atra, Schick Pivot, or Wilkinson Sword Profile mk2.

The reason I liked the Sensor (not the Sensor Excel) was because it gave a very good shave but also the blade depth was extremely narrow; it did have a lubrication strip (unnecessary in my opinion) but it had no rubber strips (also unnecessary in my opinion). meaning that it could get into all the nooks and crannies with ease.

The Gillette Guard as I understand it is single blade disposable razor, which has been designed for emerging markets, there have been a few postings on this thread recommending it. Obviously, the same as with many disposables, the use of excessive plastic is an issue. Even when a disposable razor's head fits a Sensor handle, there is still the issue of continually throwing away the associated plastic razor handle, which is so unnecessary. Of course the answer is to bring back the Sensor, but that as we know, will not happen.

TobyC, I used the Mühle R41 TWIST open comb safety razor in chrome during my trials with the DESR, but I was constantly cutting myself, which was taking days to heal. I was also using soap lather and a brush, which also took much more time than the Gillette Gel, which I find acceptable. I also found that to keep the razor looking good (it has a highly polished chrome finish) needed added attention. It was also extremely difficult to get the areas directly under the nose free of stubble and when one tried the open blade often used to cut into those areas. But as they say never say never.
The Mühle R41 TWIST open comb safety razor is not a mild user friendly razor! Try something milder, it may change your mind about DE razors.

Back
Top Bottom