What is the best cartridge/disposable razor system of all time?

I was at Sandhurst just as the Sensor was released. I remember the best a man can get campaign. Although I was using the Sensor, I nearly drowned in the Academy pool....

The commercial was about fit athletes and hunky fireman, whilst training to be an officer I was drowning in the swimming pool..

I think that standing in front of a wash basin full of water is probably sufficient for shaving purposes ? Although i do appreciate that Officer types might be in advanced "Character Building" type training that simulates war conditions etc .... :ROFLMAO:

"Razor, one (1) - Shaving For The Use of"

As an aside I did little research as to if the British Army issued DESR's. No, they haven't done for donkey's years. It would appear that they also use disposables provided by the men (and women) themselves. I believe that it is still a requirement to shave every day (obviously not SF's). Again I would think the shaves have to be a carried out in double quick time perhaps more suitable for the disposable / cartridge razors. Funnily, during my very quick research, someone well informed stated that the razors used in the Army wash rooms were the Gillette G2 or a "a new fangled thing called a Sensor".

Actual quote from Canuck from this very Shaving Forum 31.01.2013 "Not that I've seen, I went through training during 1990 and the communal wash rooms of a morning were all Gillette G2 and a fairly new fangled thing called sensor! I did 22 years but didn't see an issue DE in that time, didn't even hear about one from the older guys."

Apologies for going off topic slightly.
I served 1960 to 1983
We used our own Razors.
I have an ultra strong beard and once in Training was made to Shave till I actually bled.
I used carts in last few years of my service.

I think that standing in front of a wash basin full of water is probably sufficient for shaving purposes ? Although i do appreciate that Officer types might be in advanced "Character Building" type training that simulates war conditions etc .... :ROFLMAO:

"Razor, one (1) - Shaving For The Use of"
I was doing a three or five mile swim in a full pool, I would imagine 10 to 12 lanes or more. I was put in the centre, although I had politely asked to be in the first or last lane. It was very choppy with the six foot horse guard types, I think the English Channel is smoother. Anyway I got into difficulties and sank to the bottom. It's a good job I was only a Territorial. I was given the best fry up once I got out of the Cambridge.

Back on topic - i only DE shave when i can allow at least 20 uninterrupted mins.

Any other time its the Fusion 5, which requires the barest of lubrication and can be safely used with the same level of thought as a potato peeler (although not the same results as a potato peeler, usually).

I often finish a DE shave with a light and deft whizz over with the Fusion 5 to catch the stragglers in the nooks and crannies and lift the shave to a guaranteed BBS every time.

I shall now do the decent thing and get me coat .....

Back on topic - i only DE shave when i can allow at least 20 uninterrupted mins.

Any other time its the Fusion 5, which requires the barest of lubrication and can be safely used with the same level of thought as a potato peeler (although not the same results as a potato peeler, usually).

I often finish a DE shave with a light and deft whizz over with the Fusion 5 to catch the stragglers in the nooks and crannies and lift the shave to a guaranteed BBS every time.

I shall now do the decent thing and get me coat .....
I often mix and match. If I haven't shaved due to a rosacea flare up I need to remove 5 to 7 days stubble. A trimmer is messy but an SE will do a great first past and I can finish off with a SE, DE or cart...

OP
W
These are very interesting issues and one of the reasons that I did not like DESR shaving (the main reason still being that I was no good at it), in so far as severable people have stated previously that one needs to shave with two razors, ie a DESR and then a cartridge to do the nooks and crannies. Some of the more prolific Youtubers also state that cartridges are still best for the awkward places. My rule (and of course this is only applies to me) is that my shave must be completed with only one razor; I suppose that this also comes back down to the length of time one is prepared to actually spend carrying out a shave.

The other option is to find a DE that is mild and find a sharp but smooth blade and then work on a quick shave technique.

Personally, i have found that a Merkur head with an Astra SP blade to be a very smooth and relatively safe combo for me and if time is super tight, i can do a one pass shave down the face as quickly as i could with a cart and it leaves me looking clean shaven, although i can still feel the stubble against the grain.

My main reason for DE shaving, btw, is that the hair around my neckline grows back within the day to a very wiry stubble which is entirely capable of bobbling up the material on a shirt collar or fleece when it rubs against my neck. A 3 pass DE shave renders it material-safe for nearly 24 hours, which a cartridge shave cant come close to.

I'd say the GIllette Fusion 5 format. I hate to say that, but it really is their pinnacle setup now. I shaved almost exclusively with them for about a year. Heck! I took a GIllette SkinGuard Sensitive to over 50 shaves! The Flexball is where it's at, though. Easy shaves, no irritation, wash off and get about your day.

That said, the razor I take on holiday is a GIllette Guard. You can be as sloppy as you like with a Guard, pressure, no pressure, push way too hard, use bath soap, canned goo, foam or just a greasy face from last night's kebab. The Guard just works. Well.
For the Fusion 5 and Gillette Guard, how many passes would your shave be? 50 shaves is impressive, Paul!

Top Bottom