What is the best cartridge/disposable razor system of all time?

I think that you are right there donnie_arko, I was just about to try them out and then covid struck; will do again when I hopefully return to India!
Also got to try the Gillette Guard, when my current supply of Gillette Blue II Slaloms (and a similar 3 blade model) runs out.

Hello Glen_Lee, I think that the Sensor and the Sensor Excel handle are one of the same; I personally did not find the Excel blade as good as the Sensor; I think this was because of rubber strip incorporated within the cartridge which made the blade less manoeuvrable and and slightly bulkier. Please let us know how you get on.

Incidentally; I've recently picked up some Lacura Shave Gel (Moisturising & Sensitive) from Aldi and so far it equals/betters similar gels produced by Gillette (which I've always previously used) and at 69p per can it is very good value. I appreciate that many traditional shavers will treat gel with disdain, but for me it has always been getting a reasonable shave done in the shortest amount of time, with as little prep and cleaning down time as possible.
I look back with nostalgia to the Sensor/Excel. My first razor in the early 1990s. Guessing it would have been the Excel version. Really fancy an original handle, and trying the razor once again. Absolutely shocked at the prices being asked online. If there was a handle at a reasonable price, would happily buy one.

I see that there is now a plastic version of the Sensor Excel on eBay and Amazon. Watched a couple of reviews on YouTube, and they seem to get favourable reviews.

I look back with nostalgia to the Sensor/Excel. My first razor in the early 1990s. Guessing it would have been the Excel version. Really fancy an original handle, and trying the razor once again. Absolutely shocked at the prices being asked online. If there was a handle at a reasonable price, would happily buy one.

I see that there is now a plastic version of the Sensor Excel on eBay and Amazon. Watched a couple of reviews on YouTube, and they seem to get favourable reviews.
Yes, the asking prices are insane. I also noticed that most of the listing on the bay goes unsold and relisted for the same astronomical price (same goes for the Mach 3 power). Anyway, I got one of the plastic version that holds the sensor blades. I think mine was called sensor 3 or something. You'll either find these on the bay or amazon mmostly coming from the Asian market. They are the "modern" version of the sensor, therefore will hold the sensor/sensor excel blades.

I am lucky enough to still have the original handle in working condition (though I lost the base where you put the razor and the blisters with blades underneath :( ). Anyway, it's a good razor, but personally, I'm quite upstream here as lately I've found that more blades = quicker and smoother shave. Anyway I still use my Sensor every now and then, and I still enjoy it. To each their own. ;)

Hello Glen_Lee and Danielsan87

It is well known that I have never found a razor as good as the Sensor, which I used pretty much throughout my working life. I found that the very small cartridge with just two blades and as I remember it no additional rubber strips (unlike the Excel), making the cartridge very manoeuvrable, gave me an exceptional shave on a one pass basis, when I was shaving every day in the morning usually at around 5:30am, before a day's work. Indeed, until I came onto this forum I was totally unaware that people actually had to shave twice (unbeknown to me at the time as a two pass shave).

I am lucky enough to still have the original handle and there are still a very few cartridges (such as the 3 blade Gillette, which I have previously mentioned), which still fit the handle, but unfortunately in y opinion they do not perform anywhere near to the standard of shave that I received with the original Sensor cartridge.

The quest goes on.

Incidentally; I've recently picked up some Lacura Shave Gel (Moisturising & Sensitive) from Aldi and so far it equals/betters similar gels produced by Gillette (which I've always previously used) and at 69p per can it is very good value. I appreciate that many traditional shavers will treat gel with disdain, but for me it has always been getting a reasonable shave done in the shortest amount of time, with as little prep and cleaning down time as possible.
In terms of rapid non-shower shaves, from start to finish, with the least fuss etc.

I sometimes need a very quick tidy-up shave and have used cans of foam / gel and shave gels in the past, but my DE shave journey has lead me to the conclusion that the very quickest, most convenient, best results action is to simply blob a tiny amount of quality shave cream from a tube onto a wet brush and face lather with it. Just drag it across your face to distribute the cream, then circle it round into a lather.

Face lathering with fingers is slow and messy. The tiniest dab of quality shave cream onto a wet brush simply works quickly and effectively and it is as quick to unscrew a tube as it is to pick up an aerosol.

Palmolive classic shave cream @ £2 a tube will give months of absolute top quality lathering used this way and the tube is small enough to travel with too.

Thanks Zorro, will give it a go; the classic palmolive stick (I think no longer available) did not agree with my face, the tube may be different; I did get a bit fed up with leaving the brush to soak and then mixing lather in a bowl and then cleaning everything up afterwards. A can of gel usually these days last me about 6 months!

I found the Palmolive Classic stick left my face quite dry afterwards, but the Palmolive cream seems to be better in this respect.

I bought a tube of Proraso Blue shave cream ( Protettivo E Idratante / Protective And Moisturizing ) that contains Aloe Vera and am impressed with it. Its quite "slippery" to shave with and leaves my skin feeling good afterwards.

I have the Proraso White (sensitive, in a bowl) as a left over from my prolonged failed attempt at DE; the tube definitely seems something to try, especially with some soothing element such as Aloe Vera

I have tried the Proraso White in both soap and cream form in the past - i found it just OK really. It's maybe great for people with really sensitive skin, but i found it to be a slightly underwhelming shaving experience.

The blue is much better IMO. Feels like you are shaving with a decent quality creamy moisturiser

Yes, they sell the blade's for my Feather cartridge razor so when I need them that's where I will getting them .
I should stock up just incase of shortages or inflation!!! :)

Paul.
Hello Paul
Can the actual razor handle be obtained anywhere, seems they have the FII, is this one of the same or is there an original / different handle for the MR3 Neo?
Apologies if I am missing something obvious.

Hello Paul
Can the actual razor handle be obtained anywhere, seems they have the FII, is this one of the same or is there an original / different handle for the MR3 Neo?
Apologies if I am missing something obvious.
Feather made a few cartridge razor's, I'm not sure the cartridges for the F11 is the same as the MR3.
I will check if the MR3 razor handle is still available and I will get back to you.

Paul

Feather made a few cartridge razor's, I'm not sure the cartridges for the F11 is the same as the MR3.
I will check if the MR3 razor handle is still available and I will get back to you.

Paul
It seems like F11 take their own blade and this razor seems to have taken the place of my MR3 razor.
So look around for a MR3 or simply buy the F11 razor and it's blades.
If you have a look at the Feather website you can find out a fair bit and also if you email them with your questions they always reply!

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Paul.

Back
Top Bottom